In secondaries, should I/how do I say that a manuscript has been submitted to a journal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brobamacare

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I'm pre-writing secondaries. Should I mention that I'm third author on a manuscript that has been submitted to a journal? Or do they only care about papers that have already been published?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm pre-writing secondaries. Should I mention that I'm third author on a manuscript that has been submitted to a journal? Or do they only care about papers that have already been published?
Keep in mind that sometimes it takes several submissions to find a journal that will accept your manuscript. Sometimes a journal requires major revisions. Sometimes the PI decides not to invest the time it would take to do those revisions. Sometimes no one wants to publish it. That's why only accepted papers are those that adcomms "care about."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that sometimes it takes several submissions to find a journal that will accept your manuscript. Sometimes a journal requires major revisions. Sometimes the PI decides not to invest the time it would take to do those revisions. Sometimes no one wants to publish it. That's why only accepted papers are those that adcomms "care about."

This, so much. The sheer naïveté of students thinking that every manuscript they submit will surely and quickly be published gets me.

Reactions: 1 users
This, so much. The sheer naïveté of students thinking that every manuscript they submit will surely and quickly be published gets me.

Thank you for your input. Yes, this was another reason that I was not sure to include the manuscript submission, since my PI did have to make some big revisions in order for our first paper to be accepted to a journal.