• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

In secondaries, should I/how do I say that a manuscript has been submitted to a journal?

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
  1. Attending Physician
So I'm pre-writing secondaries. Should I mention that I'm third author on a manuscript that has been submitted to a journal? Or do they only care about papers that have already been published?
Keep in mind that sometimes it takes several submissions to find a journal that will accept your manuscript. Sometimes a journal requires major revisions. Sometimes the PI decides not to invest the time it would take to do those revisions. Sometimes no one wants to publish it. That's why only accepted papers are those that adcomms "care about."

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
Frankly I say you dont. It should have been mentioned as part of the W&A on primary AMCAS. Most secondaries have no place to mention this. Besides the 2015 AAMC surveys on medical schools shows that publications / posters / presentations are of the lowest importance when considering applicants. And very few adcoms will really care what number author you are

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/c/2/462316-mcatguide.pdf#page=21
1593521154218.png

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2008
Keep in mind that sometimes it takes several submissions to find a journal that will accept your manuscript. Sometimes a journal requires major revisions. Sometimes the PI decides not to invest the time it would take to do those revisions. Sometimes no one wants to publish it. That's why only accepted papers are those that adcomms "care about."

This, so much. The sheer naïveté of students thinking that every manuscript they submit will surely and quickly be published gets me.

Reactions: 1 users

brobamacare

2+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2018
This, so much. The sheer naïveté of students thinking that every manuscript they submit will surely and quickly be published gets me.

Thank you for your input. Yes, this was another reason that I was not sure to include the manuscript submission, since my PI did have to make some big revisions in order for our first paper to be accepted to a journal.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.