In-Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOk1ng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Inservice exam and New year is similar in that resolution made at that time are not kept as days or month pass by. Here resolution is to make a study schedule and stick with it.

y'll make a study schedule to cover majority of topics considering that not everybody gets exposure to wide range of pathology or read as you go with patients.

please post your comments , thoughts, etc..

Members don't see this ad.

My comment is to not study for the ITE. It is meant to be taken without studying.

It is more predictive if you don't study.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tend to make my resolution to study after taking the test - I feel like that is kind of the point.

yeah, don't study for the exam. use it to gauge what your weaknesses are.

And to that end, you'll have a pretty good feeling about what your weaknesses are as soon as you finish the first half of the test...

And to that end, you'll have a pretty good feeling about what your weaknesses are as soon as you finish the first half of the test...
I think every intern (and most of the residents) in my programs that's taken it agree that the rheumatology on the test is excessive (or we just have exceedingly crappy Rheumatology exposure). It felt like a lot more than 9% of the hard questions :p

(If you're curious, the breakdown of what topics get how many questions can be found at http://www.acponline.org/education_recertification/education/in_training/ )

I think every intern (and most of the residents) in my programs that's taken it agree that the rheumatology on the test is excessive (or we just have exceedingly crappy Rheumatology exposure). It felt like a lot more than 9% of the hard questions :p

It's probably not your program... it's excessive. It is the same way on the real test. Know your rheum stuff well.

It's probably not your program... it's excessive. It is the same way on the real test. Know your rheum stuff well.
Agreed. The focus on the exams differs wildly from the focus of your average PCP or hospitalist practice. I've commented elsewhere that I think the ABIM exam is becoming a bit of an arms race between the exam writers and the test prep folks and the current exam is a direct result of that.

Check out every years ABIM thread, with people freaking out about how to prepare and study. Here is an easy way to assess where you are at, your starting point. The test will show you your strengths/weaknesses prior to studying.

Don't waste your time studying.

Any correlation with percentile and pass rates on ABIM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Scored 97th percentile for PGY1s, with little to no reading/studying since starting residency (I'm not gloating). I felt I had done well but did not expect it. FWIW, I've always been a pretty good standardized test taker, but on the wards, I feel like I don't know anything and make quite a few (often stupid) mistakes. It might all just be part of being an intern. Anyway, just supports the fact that test scores don't really translate into clinical ability. I kind of hoped the exam would truly show my "weaker" areas or at least point out a good area to start reading on.

I'm PGY2 and I received ITE score and little confused and disappointed about percentile, less than last year.... 64% percentile with 68% correct questions.
Last year ITE was 72% percentile with 64% correct questions.
Low in geriatrics and pulmonary critical care, GI....
I guess next year percentile decreases and score increases....i'm kinda scared after reading, studying...
Anybody similar?
Thanks

I'm PGY2 and I received ITE score and little confused and disappointed about percentile, less than last year.... 64% percentile with 68% correct questions.
Last year ITE was 72% percentile with 64% correct questions.
Low in geriatrics and pulmonary critical care, GI....
I guess next year percentile decreases and score increases....i'm kinda scared after reading, studying...
Anybody similar?
Thanks

You're fine. Do a GI/Pulm consult elective, dont give old people polypharmacy, take the test seriously, and you should be good.

Hi, what year are you in? what scores did you have?

Hi, what year are you in? what scores did you have?

I'm done with residency and passed my boards. IIRC a percentile >30% has a very high positive predictive value of passing your boards.

I was told greater than 50Th percentile = >90% board pass rate. Atleast for AOBIM. I was 75th as second year so I've been a bit lax on my board prep. Probably need to get going on that...

Thanks for the post. I scored in 75th percentile. Overall I was pretty happy with that. My final study plan for the abim will be: BB3, MKSAP 16 questions and UWorld questions. I hope that good enough for the P :)

FWIW, i did better than i expected and i felt like i got <50% of the questions correct.

I was told greater than 50Th percentile = >90% board pass rate. Atleast for AOBIM. I was 75th as second year so I've been a bit lax on my board prep. Probably need to get going on that...

The percentile differs every year, the score of your correct questions is also helpful. Thanks.

I just got my score today: 92nd percentile for PGY-2. I knew I suck at Rheum and Geriatrics but now it's official I guess.

That was a pretty rough test, but it went better than I thought. Rheum of course sucked, and apparently I am terrible at GI. Guess I know what to focus on for the next 5 years and what my baseline is. Got 80th percentile as PGY-1, figure if I brush up on GI, Rheum, and Geriatrics, I can bump up into the 90s. Just sucks I have EM in service next month, then step 3, and then, maybe, I can start doing some more IM reading.

Guess I sucked...ended up with 64th percentile, 61% correct as a PGY-1.

Surprised everyone had such a hard time with geriatrics. That section was cake...I got something like 80+% of those questions correct. Smashed ID and 'general internal medicine' as well but sucked on endo, rheum, pulm...

Guess it's back to the books in the apparently neverending battle for test supremacy.

besides gloating to any siblings who are in medicine, is there a reason to try to blow the ABIM out of the water? or is "Pass" sufficient for almost all career paths?

besides gloating to any siblings who are in medicine, is there a reason to try to blow the ABIM out of the water? or is "Pass" sufficient for almost all career paths?

Nobody cares, nor would they likely be able to interpret your score even if you told it to them.