Question about PCC fellowship after military service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadScientist95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, rising OMS III here trying to figure out what I want to do in life. I am an Air Force HPSP student who has been interested in both general surgery and pulmonary critical care medicine for quite a while. Since I am HPSP I realize that these two paths would look different for me. If I went the PCCM route, I would do an internal medicine residency through the military, serve four years, and then apply for a fellowship. My question is how would fellowships look on my military experience? Would it help or not? I would hate to go into internal medicine blindly expecting to get a PCCM fellowship and then not get it at the end of my commitment (however, I realize there's never a guarantee). Also, how would a military IM residency prepare me for this fellowship? I probably wouldn't be picky about location when applying. I have also read that it may be hard as a DO to obtain an IM fellowship. Any thoughts there as well? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think it matters either way. You wont cost the program anything which is a minor plus I guess since DOD will be paying you.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont think it matters either way. You wont cost the program anything which is a minor plus I guess since DOD will be paying you.
Sorry, I probably should have worded this better but what I meant was getting out of the military after four years and applying for a civilian fellowship

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure anyone would care either way. It might draw a question or two during your interview to fill the time. From what I can see you could in theory do residency and fellowship and then complete your 4 year commitment? You stand a better chance of making it through the whole process if you don't stop for a "real" job in between.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure anyone would care either way. It might draw a question or two during your interview to fill the time. From what I can see you could in theory do residency and fellowship and then complete your 4 year commitment? You stand a better chance of making it through the whole process if you don't stop for a "real" job in between.
Thank you, I would actually prefer that. However, it was my understanding that being able to go straight through fellowship after residency before doing your commitment usually doesn't happen in the military?

It is variable but pulm/cc is one of the specialties they still seem to value for the moment. As a DO, you’ll be more competitive inside the .mil than out.