In-state tuition if I'm originally out-of-state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petomed

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted at a school where I'll definitely be categorized as oos for the full four years unless I can show compelling evidence to change the story. I'm wondering what the sentiment is from folks on the receiving end of my request to change residency status after year 1. My take is that a typical med student relocates for four years and doesn't contribute a dime to the state outside of paying their tuition, someone for rent, misc. supplies, etc. In my case, yes, I will of course be relocating because of medical school. But there are contribution differences during my stay. I would buy a house if it means paying half the tuition during med school. I would pay property taxes on that house. I would then pay school taxes. I will pay taxes when I sell the house if we move. I will send my kids to daycare. My spouse will pick up a fulltime job and pay state income taxes. We will also sell our current oos home and remain in the new state continuously, changing our driver's licenses, etc.

There's no doubt I'm trying to skirt the oos tuition here. But it's because there are a few more things my family will be contributing to the state during our stay, which may end up being indefinite. These extra investments may also end up compelling us to stay in this new state, as we already really like it there (hence my choice to attend in the first place). Will those extra $$'s add up to the tuition differential? Depends on the home we buy, my spouse's income, etc. But probably not.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has experience along these lines. All thoughts are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted at a school where I'll definitely be categorized as oos for the full four years unless I can show compelling evidence to change the story. I'm wondering what the sentiment is from folks on the receiving end of my request to change residency status after year 1. My take is that a typical med student relocates for four years and doesn't contribute a dime to the state outside of paying their tuition, someone for rent, misc. supplies, etc. In my case, yes, I will of course be relocating because of medical school. But there are contribution differences during my stay. I would buy a house if it means paying half the tuition during med school. I would pay property taxes on that house. I would then pay school taxes. I will pay taxes when I sell the house if we move. I will send my kids to daycare. My spouse will pick up a fulltime job and pay state income taxes. We will also sell our current oos home and remain in the new state continuously, changing our driver's licenses, etc.

There's no doubt I'm trying to skirt the oos tuition here. But it's because there are a few more things my family will be contributing to the state during our stay, which may end up being indefinite. These extra investments may also end up compelling us to stay in this new state, as we already really like it there (hence my choice to attend in the first place). Will those extra $$'s add up to the tuition differential? Depends on the home we buy, my spouse's income, etc. But probably not.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has experience along these lines. All thoughts are welcome.

This is a completely case-by-case scenario, but I think you are facing a very uphill battle. What would be a school's incentive to reduce the amount of tuition they collect from you?

Obviously I can't speak to all 50 US states, but my state medical schools offer no such ability to change your OOS status after you matriculate. Someone needs to be a legal resident of my state continuously for something like 5 years prior to matriculating to ever be considered for IS tuition/status. Whether you buy a house, pay taxes, change your driver's license, etc. after you start changes nothing.

Your school's website should some long document somewhere about how you can qualify for IS tuition. That's going to give you your answer.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a completely case-by-case scenario, but I think you are facing a very uphill battle. What would be a school's incentive to reduce the amount of tuition they collect from you?

Obviously I can't speak to all 50 US states, but my state medical schools offer no such ability to change your OOS status after you matriculate. Someone needs to be a legal resident of my state continuously for something like 5 years prior to matriculating to ever be considered for IS tuition/status. Whether you buy a house, pay taxes, change your driver's license, etc. after you start changes nothing.

Your school's website should some long document somewhere about how you can qualify for IS tuition. That's going to give you your answer.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the school has a detailed document regarding residency and tuition categorizing. As you mentioned, this school automatically assumes any incoming student that's categorized as oos will remain oos for the full four years. Unless that student wishes to make an appeal. This is where my question lives. If I've performed the aforementioned actions, what's the sentiment on the receiving end during the appeals process? They must know both at the surface and deep down that I'm looking for a discount on tuition. Yet, their language is such that recategorizations are indeed granted if substantive evidence is provided to document my establishing of in-state roots immediately upon relocating to their state.

If all the things my family and I do scream permanent relocation, then what is their basis for not deeming my residency status as in-state?

Members don't see this ad :)
If all the things my family and I do scream permanent relocation, then what is their basis for not deeming my residency status as in-state?

Because they know full well that you don't have total control over where you end up for residency. Your stated intent to permanently relocate doesn't really mean anything when everyone knows you're just going to go through a match process in four years. Also, money, the same reason that everything else happens. Your school has zero incentive to lose tens of thousands of dollars of tuition money on you every year. Plus, they know there's a very high chance you're just going to pay whatever they tell you to pay and if not? It's not hard for them to find someone who will.

Go ahead and appeal it if your school offers a path for recategorization, but at least in my state, you are almost guaranteed an automatic denial (for the very same reasons you stated above: they really, really do not want to lose money on students skirting their tuition rules). Maybe your state is more forgiving than mine, idk.

Because they know full well that you don't have total control over where you end up for residency. Your stated intent to permanently relocate doesn't really mean anything when everyone knows you're just going to go through a match process in four years. Also, money, the same reason that everything else happens. Your school has zero incentive to lose tens of thousands of dollars of tuition money on you every year.

Go ahead and appeal it if your school offers a path for recategorization, but at least in my state, you are almost guaranteed an automatic denial (for the very same reasons you stated above: they really, really do not want to lose money on students skirting their tuition rules). Maybe your state is more forgiving than mine, idk.
I agree and disagree. Yes, the match will determine where you go. However it is you who determines your possibilities by ranking specific programs. If I rank only programs in that state, then it's very likely I will remain in that state. From this point forward, I would appear no different than those folks who grew up in that state and intend on practicing there. If the purpose of offering in-state students reduced tuition isn't to incentivize them to remain in-state just a bit longer, then what is it? And if this is the case, then isn't the derived incentive for them to eventually practice back home? If this line of thought is true, then either no in-state tuition should be offered to anyone, or folks like myself, who by all objective measures could demonstrate intent to dwell indefinitely in-state--should be able to obtain recategorization and thus, reduced tuition.

At least, that's what I would argue on my behalf. At the end of the day, the line has to be drawn somewhere. The cut is much cleaner and clearer when there is no recategorization allowed, like in your state.

not gonna happen man. otherwise you could claim you want in state status from year 1 before you will be moving into the state before the year starts.

state schools are partially funded by the state tax payers. therefore people paying taxes for a certain amount of time get a reduced tuition as well as better chance of being accepted.

your logic only serves you and doesn't hold water. you wont win this battle

Reactions: 1 users
I agree and disagree. Yes, the match will determine where you go. However it is you who determines your possibilities by ranking specific programs. If I rank only programs in that state, then it's very likely I will remain in that state. From this point forward, I would appear no different than those folks who grew up in that state and intend on practicing there. If the purpose of offering in-state students reduced tuition isn't to incentivize them to remain in-state just a bit longer, then what is it? And if this is the case, then isn't the derived incentive for them to eventually practice back home? If this line of thought is true, then either no in-state tuition should be offered to anyone, or folks like myself, who by all objective measures could demonstrate intent to dwell indefinitely in-state--should be able to obtain recategorization and thus, reduced tuition.

At least, that's what I would argue on my behalf. At the end of the day, the line has to be drawn somewhere. The cut is much cleaner and clearer when there is no recategorization allowed, like in your state.

The purpose of IS tuition is to benefit local students who have (or whose families have) been paying taxes in that state for a long time. Offering you IS vs OOS tuition rates have nothing to do with incentivizing you to practice in that state for residency and beyond. In fact, your eligibility for IS tuition might not even be determined at the medical school level. The overall governing body of the University of Whatever (possibly guided by state law) probably sets the tuition rates/eligibility for all students, undergraduate and graduate. I stated that I don't think they'll believe your intent to remain in state (because if it was that easy, wouldn't every OOS student do what you're trying to do?) but your long-term intentions are actually probably irrelevant to the process. It's going to come down to whether you fit into a very specific set of criteria for IS tuition, and it sounds like you probably won't. So I would mitigate my expectations if I were you.

But I don't make the rules for your medical school. Go ahead and appeal and see what happens.

I would be curious to see what the guidelines are for making a residency determination and what would be considered compelling to change one's tuition status. Typically states establish guidelines for who is / is not going to be considered a resident and what is necessary to demonstrate one's status (license, length of time in state, income, reason for residing in state, ties to the state, and independent vs dependent status from a tax perspective). Many place further restrictions that one cannot work to establish residency while enrolled full time in an academic program (there are a few states that do allow this but not many). From what I understand, many states carve out exceptions for folks who are considered dependents, as well as folks who are in the military. In your particular case, having a working spouse, purchasing a home, etc would be factors that could work in your favor to as evidence to establishing residency prior to the stated deadline for IS tuition upon entrance, but IMO are unlikely to move the needle for reclassifying you from OOS to IS. To my knowledge, the tuition distinction is less about trying to entice students to stay in the state (otherwise there would be a requirement to practice for a # of years in the state after training) but rather about the contributions they, and likely their parents, have made in the form of taxes, etc. Now, admitting IS vs OOS students on the other hand is about trying to train folks who are more likely to stay in / return to the area to practice, which is why some programs/states are minimum levels of IS vs OOS students they can accept.

to be honest, once you get started with M1, you really aren't going to want to add this battle to your plate.

I would be curious to see what the guidelines are for making a residency determination and what would be considered compelling to change one's tuition status.

I would guess if you just missed the cut off and your parents are in state. like if you meet the requirements mid way through M1 maybe they would allow you to switch?

The purpose of IS tuition is to benefit local students who have (or whose families have) been paying taxes in that state for a long time. Offering you IS vs OOS tuition rates have nothing to do with incentivizing you to practice in that state for residency and beyond. In fact, your eligibility for IS tuition might not even be determined at the medical school level. The overall governing body of the University of Whatever (possibly guided by state law) probably sets the tuition rates/eligibility for all students, undergraduate and graduate. I stated that I don't think they'll believe your intent to remain in state (because if it was that easy, wouldn't every OOS student do what you're trying to do?) but your long-term intentions are actually probably irrelevant to the process. It's going to come down to whether you fit into a very specific set of criteria for IS tuition, and it sounds like you probably won't. So I would mitigate my expectations if I were you.

But I don't make the rules for your medical school. Go ahead and appeal and see what happens.
I could see the bar being set beyond the medical school, at the state level for example. As to why doesn't everyone 'just do what I'm doing'? Well, no one would be applying to medical school till their 31, or married, with children, for starters. Most students fall under the hood of being a dependent themselves, not having dependents of their own lol.

It's still pretty foggy to me honestly. The bar in this state is 12+ months of domicile in the state before beginning medical school. Considering my spouse will be working fulltime for 2+ years if we move there for medical school, the income tax incentive alone from their job will exceed the income tax gained via 12 month policy.

Don't get me wrong, I know medical school is going to empty my bank accounts and put me into massive debt. None of these hypotheticals will change that. I'd just like to understand the reasoning behind such a whopping tuition break if it can't be explained by simple tax math or incentivizing students to eventually practice in that state.

I could see the bar being set beyond the medical school, at the state level for example. As to why doesn't everyone 'just do what I'm doing'? Well, no one would be applying to medical school till their 31, or married, with children, for starters. Most students fall under the hood of being a dependent themselves, not having dependents of their own lol.

It's still pretty foggy to me honestly. The bar in this state is 12+ months of domicile in the state before beginning medical school. Considering my spouse will be working fulltime for 2+ years if we move there for medical school, the income tax incentive alone from their job will exceed the income tax gained via 12 month policy.

Don't get me wrong, I know medical school is going to empty my bank accounts and put me into massive debt. None of these hypotheticals will change that. I'd just like to understand the reasoning behind such a whopping tuition break if it can't be explained by simple tax math or incentivizing students to eventually practice in that state.

You really do have some weird roundabout way of looking at the situation.

Bottom line is they have no incentive to allow you in state tuition and your reasons essentially amount to "because I need it"

Well, no one would be applying to medical school till their 31, or married, with children, for starters. Most students fall under the hood of being a dependent themselves, not having dependents of their own lol.
This isn't quite accurate. Most medical students cannot be claimed as a dependent child by their parents due to age restrictions. Additionally, qualifying as a dependent of another requires they provide 50% "support." Again, these are things that are typically determined at the time of enrollment (if not at the time of application). What I would recommend is instead of hashing it out on here, call the program's registrar's office and ask for examples of what would be appropriate to warrant a change in residency status for tuition purposes. In my experience, having a spouse, having a home, and being older are not convincing reasons after one has started in the program. Now, if you were to defer for a year that may be another story. In all seriousness though registrar's are pretty great at cutting through the jargon and give you an idea if this is going to be worth your time and energy.

You really do have some weird roundabout way of looking at the situation.

Bottom line is they have no incentive to allow you in state tuition and your reasons essentially amount to "because I need it"
Need has never been part of this equation. Would you mind elaborating on what the school’s incentive is for discounting tuition for the in-staters?

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't quite accurate. Most medical students cannot be claimed as a dependent child by their parents due to age restrictions. Additionally, qualifying as a dependent of another requires they provide 50% "support." Again, these are things that are typically determined at the time of enrollment (if not at the time of application). What I would recommend is instead of hashing it out on here, call the program's registrar's office and ask for examples of what would be appropriate to warrant a change in residency status for tuition purposes. In my experience, having a spouse, having a home, and being older are not convincing reasons after one has started in the program. Now, if you were to defer for a year that may be another story. In all seriousness though registrar's are pretty great at cutting through the jargon and give you an idea if this is going to be worth your time and energy.
Right the registrar may have some insights, thanks for that. As far as the spouse bit, I only bring it up because their income is taxable and is going into the state’s pockets. Normally med students aren’t married and they aren’t working during school. So, they represent zero taxable income for the state. My spouse and I attending the med school provide budgetary money for the state while unmarried med students bring nothing to the table in this respect. That’s the only reason I bring it up. Diddo for home purchases, property taxes, etc.

Right the registrar may have some insights, thanks for that. As far as the spouse bit, I only bring it up because their income is taxable and is going into the state’s pockets. Normally med students aren’t married and they aren’t working during school. So, they represent zero taxable income for the state. My spouse and I attending the med school provide budgetary money for the state while unmarried med students bring nothing to the table in this respect. That’s the only reason I bring it up. Diddo for home purchases, property taxes, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the argument you're trying to make and why your case seems slightly different than the standard 23 yo student entering med school. I think this is one of the reasons why trying to rationalize a policy or guideline by the state is problematic. In many ways, you're right - having a spouse work while you are in medical school for 4 years will likely pay significantly more in taxes than you would if you had done what many other students did which is work a low paying job for a year while applying to medical school, get accepted, and attend paying IS tuition. Certainly in light of that reality one would reasonably say that you should be able to pay IS tuition as well since your family will arguably contribute much more to the state (for the sake of this argument lets say that this is true and not get into the weeds). Unfortunately, guidelines and policies don't work this way - hence why trying to reason and present rational arguments as to why your tuition status should change is highly unlikely to succeed. This is less about rational arguments and contributions than it is about being able to check a box so that you meet the criteria established by others who are far removed from this process. Registrar's are great at cutting through the jargon - the registrar at my program told me that if I moved within a certain timeframe I would be able to qualify for IS tuition. This registrar saved me at least 100k - I need to send her a bottle of wine and some cheese. IMO, your best bet is to find out what are the circumstances that would warrant a change of residency and what documentation / evidence do you need to present to support it. Very best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Need has never been part of this equation. Would you mind elaborating on what the school’s incentive is for discounting tuition for the in-staters?
they have been paying state taxes for x number of years. how is this so hard to follow for you?!?!?

they have been paying state taxes for x number of years. how is this so hard to follow for you?!?!?
One year. Their policy is to pay taxes for one year prior to matriculation. As I said, my spouse will be paying those taxes for 2+ years if we relocate to the state.

It’s hard for me to follow because the school is only loosing money for every single student they reduce the tuition for. If they’re giving a massive, massive tuition cut to someone who paid state taxes less than my family will, I would argue I should also receive that same tuition reduction. Is that hard to follow?

One year. Their policy is to pay taxes for one year prior to matriculation. As I said, my spouse will be paying those taxes for 2+ years if we relocate to the state.

It’s hard for me to follow because the school is only loosing money for every single student they reduce the tuition for. If they’re giving a massive, massive tuition cut to someone who paid state taxes less than my family will, I would argue I should also receive that same tuition reduction. Is that hard to follow?

prior to matriculation.

also unless you are married to elon musk no one cares about your spouse.

time to move on

prior to matriculation.

also unless you are married to elon musk no one cares about your spouse.

time to move on
Right so as another has said, the logic is very weak on their end as far as I can see. Best bet is the registrar or someone else who knows how to build a successful appeal.

Right so as another has said, the logic is very weak on their end as far as I can see. Best bet is the registrar or someone else who knows how to build a successful appeal.

well you can give it a shot but when they say no hopefully you have the good sense to drop it and not start a crusade to get in state tuition which you don't qualify for.

In the end, you're asking the school to assume you may stay there and contribute more to the state. If you have no other ties whatsoever to the state, that likely won't happen. Anyone who enters school who is already married could make similar arguments. All of the things you mention are things all people in med schools with families do. I'm not sure what the exception would be in your case. Although there are differences about state policies on this, your arguments on why you should be considered in state are of a bigger picture than just what is concerned about this one school. Thus without any bigger shifts in thoughts on this topic on a more widespread level, I doubt the school will make an exception for you.

There are of course exceptions. Back when I was going through this, Colorado tuition was like 40k per year. That was insane back then, but they had a policy where the student would get resident status after 2 years so it would ease off on the tuition.

In general though I think most states require one to two years of the person living in the state while not attending an educational institution. I guess it seems a bit odd, but your partner will likely have no issue getting resident status in a year or two depending, but you likely won't be able to...and you're the one attending the school. As far as the school knows, you could move there and you and your partner get divorced in 6 months. Under the technical rules on resident status that wouldn't be fair to the others in the class who are still paying OOS.

I was not married when I started school. I was a resident in one state/grew up there, but moved to another for grad school, and got accepted to med school in another state. So while I was OOS for my med school I wasn't actually a resident of any state at that point technically. I could argue I was a resident of my original state I grew up in I guess. But that state is different than the state with my med school.

I ended up getting school awards/scholarships that brought my OOS tuition almost down to the level of in state. Maybe that is something you could look into if you goal is to bring down your attendance costs.

I totally get why you want this to happen. Tuition is insane. I'd give it a try, but just don't be disappointed if they deny it.

Last edited:
One other thing, I guess you could maybe defer acceptance and work for a year and get in state status, but in the end this is likely not financially sound. That is technically a year less of attending work in the end. That is likely at least 200k. Unless oos tuition is 50k more more over in state per year, it isn't worth it.

In the end, you're asking the school to assume you may stay there and contribute more to the state. If you have no other ties whatsoever to the state, that likely won't happen. Anyone who enters school who is already married could make similar arguments. All of the things you mention are things all people in med schools with families do. I'm not sure what the exception would be in your case. Although there are differences about state policies on this, your arguments on why you should be considered in state are of a bigger picture than just what is concerned about this one school. Thus without any bigger shifts in thoughts on this topic on a more widespread level, I doubt the school will make an exception for you.

There are of course exceptions. Back when I was going through this, Colorado tuition was like 40k per year. That was insane back then, but they had a policy where the student would get resident status after 2 years so it would ease off on the tuition.

In general though I think most states require one to two years of the person living in the state while not attending an educational institution. I guess it seems a bit odd, but your partner will likely have no issue getting resident status in a year or two depending, but you likely won't be able to...and you're the one attending the school. As far as the school knows, you could move there and you and your partner get divorced in 6 months. Under the technical rules on resident status that wouldn't be fair to the others in the class who are still paying OOS.

I was not married when I started school. I was a resident in one state/grew up there, but moved to another for grad school, and got accepted to med school in another state. So while I was OOS for my med school I wasn't actually a resident of any state at that point technically. I could argue I was a resident of my original state I grew up in I guess. But that state is different than the state with my med school.

I ended up getting school awards/scholarships that brought my OOS tuition almost down to the level of in state. Maybe that is something you could look into if you goal is to bring down your attendance costs.

I totally get why you want this to happen. Tuition is insane. I'd give it a try, but just don't be disappointed if they deny it.

^^ This. IS tuition is not only because state taxes subsidize the school education. I think this is more the case for undergrad so people are used to that, and then it's because your parents paid tax (income as well which is much more than property) for a long long time. Only a small fraction of an individual's income or property tax actually goes to the school, so it's not like your paying 15k in taxes is equivalent to paying 15k in tuition.

But anyway, for medical school it's also that public schools have an onus to serve the people of the state, and they want physicians to practice there. That's why you'll see that some states give IS advantage (if not IS tuition) to students who have ties the state. You're much more likely to stay and practice or even return after residency if you grew up there or have family there--except for CA, they know that their location is desirable so some of their schools don't care about IS bias and give IS tuition after a year.

Hopefully these answers will help you to understand if the school denies your appeal to skirt tuition haha.

^^ This. IS tuition is not only because state taxes subsidize the school education. I think this is more the case for undergrad so people are used to that, and then it's because your parents paid tax (income as well which is much more than property) for a long long time. Only a small fraction of an individual's income or property tax actually goes to the school, so it's not like your paying 15k in taxes is equivalent to paying 15k in tuition.

But anyway, for medical school it's also that public schools have an onus to serve the people of the state, and they want physicians to practice there. That's why you'll see that some states give IS advantage (if not IS tuition) to students who have ties the state. You're much more likely to stay and practice or even return after residency if you grew up there or have family there--except for CA, they know that their location is desirable so some of their schools don't care about IS bias and give IS tuition after a year.

Hopefully these answers will help you to understand if the school denies your appeal to skirt tuition haha.

All of these in sum. I can’t tell if OP is stubborn to a fault because they feel entitled because they think they’re being swindled, but the logic is sound. Any state’s incentive to give IS students IS tuition is to keep the workforce in certain jobs. There are regions of the country that may have a higher population in the healthcare industry versus some other areas that are severely lacking in access to those resources - namely capable physicians.

No one *can* stopping you from trying to *make* that appeal, but your point is hard to make. But you just have to face the facts that claiming future investments w/ no actual guarantee is moot.

Plenty of people buy houses in different states or countries, then end up selling them because they found better opportunities elsewhere, didn’t like that location, or used it as a timeshare, Airbnb, etc.

Life happens. Who knows, your life may move you to better locations for your overall happiness.

Definitely stubborn to a fault, at least when there is logic to be had. It's really ok, I understand how difficult it will be to have a successful appeal. A 5% chance of success is absolutely worth it if we're talking about >100k student loan debt differential, wouldn't you say?

Definitely stubborn to a fault, at least when there is logic to be had. It's really ok, I understand how difficult it will be to have a successful appeal. A 5% chance of success is absolutely worth it if we're talking about >100k student loan debt differential, wouldn't you say?
there is no harm in asking/appealing but you should drop it if/when they say no.

There is a 0% chance of it working with your argument. or else every student with a working spouse would get it.

there is no harm in asking/appealing but you should drop it if/when they say no.

There is a 0% chance of it working with your argument. or else every student with a working spouse would get it.
Definitely would drop it if the appeal is unsuccessful. I disagree with you on 0% because not every student with a working spouse is capable of, and willing to--purchase a home in the new state.

Definitely would drop it if the appeal is unsuccessful. I disagree with you on 0% because not every student with a working spouse is capable of, and willing to--purchase a home in the new state.

I mean I don't know if it's 0% but if I were deciding I'd give it a low percentage. Capable of buying a house indicates privilege, and willing to most likely can mean you see the benefit for you personally since homeownership in most areas with these interest rates is more beneficial to renting. Neither is good for the school or good reasons for IS tuition lol. It's not like a noble thing to society for you to own a house lmao.

Also many students come from privlieged families and their parents are happy to do the basic calculations that you did to see that it behooves them to own a house and pay less tuition.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I mean I don't know if it's 0% but if I were deciding I'd give it a low percentage. Capable of buying a house indicates privilege, and willing to most likely can mean you see the benefit for you personally since homeownership in most areas with these interest rates is more beneficial to renting. Neither is good for the school or good reasons for IS tuition lol. It's not like a noble thing to society for you to own a house lmao.
Maybe for some privelidge is synonymous with being able to buy a house but not for me. Both my wife and I come from families that could barely afford knee pads for soccer. We're in our 30's now and worked for every dime we have. Owning a home means paying property taxes, which go straight to the local community. It doesn't sound like you have a clue what you're talking about but I appreciate your insights.

Let’s put it this way - if what you propose were permissible then the residency requirements would have a carve out for folks who purchase a home as a way to qualify for in state tuition. I agree there is 0% chance of being successful in making this argument that purchasing a home leads to a greater benefit for the school (property taxes would still be paid on a rental after all). One could even argue you purchasing a home may negatively impact the community but I won’t waste time on that here.

OP appears deadset on pursuing this so at this point I think the thread has run it’s course. Best of luck to you.

Let’s put it this way - if what you propose were permissible then the residency requirements would have a carve out for folks who purchase a home as a way to qualify for in state tuition. I agree there is 0% chance of being successful in making this argument that purchasing a home leads to a greater benefit for the school (property taxes would still be paid on a rental after all). One could even argue you purchasing a home may negatively impact the community but I won’t waste time on that here.

OP appears deadset on pursuing this so at this point I think the thread has run it’s course. Best of luck to you.
Several if's, no doubt. But I see what you're saying. I'm not deadset. The risk-reward equation is king here. New information or changes in the housing market could of course change my mind.

Maybe for some privelidge is synonymous with being able to buy a house but not for me. Both my wife and I come from families that could barely afford knee pads for soccer. We're in our 30's now and worked for every dime we have. Owning a home means paying property taxes, which go straight to the local community. It doesn't sound like you have a clue what you're talking about but I appreciate your insights.

Oh my sweet summer child, I've forgotten more home ownership and taxes then you've ever known. Like I just said, with interest rates so low and home ownership as a hedge against inflation, many people are looking to buy homes now. You think they're doing it out of the goodness of their heart to pay property taxes to their community, or is it more likely that they see it as either financially better than renting or offers them other personal gains.

You yourself are doing it for personal and financial gain. I'm just telling you don't expect schools to think that it's something noble you're doing for your community.