"In the area" email from abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rolltide7749

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently live in Spain as an English teacher. I am returning to the States for Christmas holidays and will stay until mid-January to complete the IS interviews I have been offered already.

That being said, I'm still waiting to hear from 6 OOS schools on interview invitations. My pre-med advisor suggested an "in the area" email -- although, in this case, "in the area" refers to "in the area of the North American continent." Anyone have experience or advice for me? The cost of another transatlantic flight is pretty much prohibitive (I'm a teacher)... so I need to make the email strong without sounding pushy.

Help meeeeeeee

Members don't see this ad.

Send the "in the area email" and let them know your situation. I don't see any downsides to this.

Send the e-mail. By this point, they should know whether you're in range for an II or not, and if that window passes without you sending the email you'll always wonder what-if.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it! I met a guy on my interview trail who scheduled 5-6 interviews in just over 2 weeks while he was home from his year abroad in India. I highly doubt that occurred due to luck of open dates available at 6 different schools in the same 2 week period...I'm pretty sure he sent an in the area email.

Thanks for your responses!

Should I just be direct about my dates in the States? Or should I add a few lines about my continued interest in each school?

Thanks for your responses!

Should I just be direct about my dates in the States? Or should I add a few lines about my continued interest in each school?

Can't you do both? I would be direct about the dates and emphasize your interest. I inquired with a few schools about this (being abroad and only being back in the states for limited time periods) and they all indicated they would try to work with me to the best of their ability. Giving prior notice as early as possible is helpful if you want them to do this. Good luck.