"In The Area" Emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pertussisprincess20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Like the tittle says, I'm posting with a question about "in the area" emails. I recently came across this on a forum, and had never heard about them before, so I'm curious. From my understanding, the email is sent to a school basically stating you will be around there on a particular date/set of dates and ask if there's any way to be considered for an interview during that time. Are schools receptive to this? Is there any chance that sending one would hurt my chances of admission? What is the best way to approach this email?

(I am asking because my S.O. is interviewing at GW in November, and I am on a pre-II hold for the school. We both love that program and it would be so amazing if we could both interview there).

Looking for any opinions/advice! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

When is it appropriate to start sending ITAs?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It’s usually for people they would have given an II to anyway. My bet is that GW doesn’t like them because they would assume people only send them when they interview at Georgetown.

I mean plenty of people with holds probably love the program. And while it might be amazing for you to both interview there, I’ve learned that amazing things only happen through hard work and sacrifice. It would be amazing if I could get a full ride at Stanford and buy a Range Rover to drive around Palo Alto but it’s just not going to happen

Members don't see this ad :)

When is it appropriate to start sending ITAs?

Thanks so much for the info! Seems like any "positive outcomes" are anecdotal, looks like something I'll be avoiding generally!

It’s usually for people they would have given an II to anyway. My bet is that GW doesn’t like them because they would assume people only send them when they interview at Georgetown.

I mean plenty of people with holds probably love the program. And while it might be amazing for you to both interview there, I’ve learned that amazing things only happen through hard work and sacrifice. It would be amazing if I could get a full ride at Stanford and buy a Range Rover to drive around Palo Alto but it’s just not going to happen
Apply to Knight Hennessy and save all of your gap year money for the rover. You got this, Cali.

Good idea...maybe if I’m feeling lucky I’ll put the all gap year money on red so I can get the Rover and a place without roommates :)

Good idea...maybe if I’m feeling lucky I’ll put the all gap year money on red so I can get the Rover and a place without roommates :)
Join us, bruddah

I know someone that did! It could be you! Maybe look into a Tesla, though. They’re all the rage there.