"In the area" interview request

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csheng89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering how some of you approached this issue and perhaps give me some advice on how to phrase it in a diplomatic way. Like I live on the east coast and I'm invited to an interview in Cali in early December and I'd like to see if it would be possible to schedule another interview within a couple days of that one so I only have to fly out once. How should I do this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like my premed advisor offered to do this for me (i.e. make the phone call to the school) if it ever came up. I didn't take her up on it, but it seems like a decent idea.

I know that some schools in NYC are really receptive to "in the area" requests. I have not heard anything about Calif schools though.

I recently used the "in the area" card for two NYC schools. I was offered interviews at both and they both were very receptive and accomidating with scheduling. I would recommend that you express genuine interest in the schools (maybe butter them up a little) followed by a quick explanation that you would love to speak with someone at the school in person while in the area if admissions is at all interested in interviewing you. Go heavy on the politeness and nicities. Good luck!