"In the Area" Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohgrl76

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays everyone!

I just got an interview invite to Cincinnati and I want to let Wright State and OSU know I'll be in the area. But here is the twist. I claimed Ohio as my state of residency, but I'm currently living in Chicago. I guess the schools probably know this because my mailing address says Chicago, but I don't want them to think I am making up that I will be "in the area" since technically I live in Ohio. Also, what do I say in one of these letters? Literally just that I'll be in the area and I'm interested in seeing the school?
Does it need to be very long or include any other info? And just address it to the adcom?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Happy Holidays everyone!

I just got an interview invite to Cincinnati and I want to let Wright State and OSU know I'll be in the area. But here is the twist. I claimed Ohio as my state of residency, but I'm currently living in Chicago. I guess the schools probably know this because my mailing address says Chicago, but I don't want them to think I am making up that I will be "in the area" since technically I live in Ohio. Also, what do I say in one of these letters? Literally just that I'll be in the area and I'm interested in seeing the school?
Does it need to be very long or include any other info? And just address it to the adcom?

Thanks for the help!

a lot of people got to school outside of their state of legal residence, so I don't really think that the fact that you're in chicago will be problematic.
I sent a brief 2 line e-mail to a school a while ago saying that I will be in the area on this date and that if they were going to grant me an interview, that it would be great for me to travel crosscounty only once (but I wrote it more eloquently, of course)
do a search on SDN, there've been many threads on this topic

Happy Holidays everyone!

Thanks for the help!

Congrats. On a related issue, if you're flying, fly into Dayton, NOT Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky airport. You're looking at almost $200 cheaper on average when you fly into Dayton (only 45 mins away from Cinci)