In the Area Request for the same state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

To Freedom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would adcoms perceive an ITA request for a school in the same place even if I live 6-7 hours away from these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

What is an ITA request? I'm going to out on a limb and just say whatever it is don't do it because if it's what I think it is then it's really dumb.

What is an ITA request? I'm going to out on a limb and just say whatever it is don't do it because if it's what I think it is then it's really dumb.

It's telling a school you're in the area and asking if it's possible to get an interview during the time you're in the interview and it's not dumb as long as you word it properly. You just gotta make sure you make it clear you don't expect an interview but if they plan on sending one, aligning it with that date be very helpful in terms of costs and travel time.

I did this with a school and they replied and gave me an interview (although sadly it was just outside the window of when I was in the city).

Members don't see this ad :)
It's telling a school you're in the area and asking if it's possible to get an interview during the time you're in the interview and it's not dumb as long as you word it properly.

It sounds really dumb. Don't do it OP.

Lol did you really reply without knowing what it is? That was funny.

Anyways, I’ve had one success with it for a really far state. Anyone have any ideas on my question above?

Anyways, I’ve had one success with it for a really far state. Anyone have any ideas on my question above?

Nobody knows why/where you are. In theory you can lie and say you're in the area for any program as a way to get them to put eyes on your application sooner. Do whatever you want.

No, I wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Turns out it was exactly what I thought it was, and I still think it's dumb. If I were an adcom and a student did this then I would auto-reject them but perhaps that's why I'm not on an adcom.

Reactions: 1 user
No, I wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Turns out it was exactly what I thought it was, and I still think it's dumb. If I were an adcom and a student did this then I would auto-reject them but perhaps that's why I'm not on an adcom.

Refrain from making comments about topics you're not vast in, especially when you add toxic languages in your comment. I have had successful ITA requests, don't give answers just to hear yourself speak. This was a very specific question and you've derailed it.

Reactions: 1 users
Refrain from making comments about topics you're not vast in, especially when you add toxic languages in your comment. I have had successful ITA requests, don't give answers just to hear yourself speak. This was a very specific question and you've derailed it.
You could have just ignored me. It's dumb because you could then be "in the area" of a bunch of schools you applied to simply to seek an interview. Again, if I were an adcom and an applicant did this I would auto-reject them instantly. It's tacky and is essentially interview grubbing.

Reactions: 3 users
You could have just ignored me. It's dumb because you could then be "in the area" of a bunch of schools you applied to simply to seek an interview. Again, if I were an adcom and an applicant did this I would auto-reject them instantly. It's tacky and is essentially interview grubbing.
Its really crazy some of the pre-meds out there just assume they deserve an interview at every school just because. This ain't undergrad. You aren't that special.

@To Freedom don't do this it has a much higher chance of backfiring. If your stats are significantly higher than the schools averages, that's one thing, because you had a good shot of getting one anyway. But if you're anywhere near the averages or below, it's a terrible idea. Also, 6-7 hours away isn't 'in the area' by any stretch of the word. That's the same as someone in Ohio asking the schools in Chicago to interview them because they're 'in the area' which is absolutely asinine. cmon now

I don't believe you're 'vast' in this topic either so I'd probably take the advice of a current medical student who actually knows what it looks like from the other side. Most people on here are trying to help and not getting super offended when someone tells you something abruptly will go a long way for ya.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the idea of an ITA letter is silly. There really isn't a way for adcoms to validate that you are, in fact, "in the area." It's not like the adcom is going to ask for a copy of your itinerary? What even constitutes being "in the area?" 10 miles, 100 miles, 500 miles?

Its really crazy some of the pre-meds out there just assume they deserve an interview at every school just because. This ain't undergrad. You aren't that special.

@To Freedom don't do this it has a much higher chance of backfiring. If your stats are significantly higher than the schools averages, that's one thing, because you had a good shot of getting one anyway. But if you're anywhere near the averages or below, it's a terrible idea. Also, 6-7 hours away isn't 'in the area' by any stretch of the word. That's the same as someone in Ohio asking the schools in Chicago to interview them because they're 'in the area' which is absolutely asinine. cmon now

I don't believe you're 'vast' in this topic either so I'd probably take the advice of a current medical student who actually knows what it looks like from the other side. Most people on here are trying to help and not getting super offended when someone tells you something abruptly will go a long way for ya.

Wow I misunderstood them so now I take back what I said. I thought they were saying they are normally a 6 to 7 hour drive away and they were going to be close to the school on a certain date so they were hoping to avoid making that drive again. Yeah I wouldn't do an ITA in this case.

But again if phrased correctly some schools have straight up said they're willing to take these dates into account. Uchicago is the one example I have personally. I emailed them pretty much saying I was going to be in the area and if there was the possibility of me recieving an interview it would be very helpful to align it during that time. I think as long as the email doesn't sound entitled and the school has shown in the past to be receptive then it's ok. I was actually in the area for another interview though not a 6 hour drive away. Also I was above their average stats so it wasn't a reach or anything in my case. I know others tried it where it was a reach and they got rejections pretty immediately after.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I misunderstood them so now I take back what I said. I thought they were saying they are normally a 6 to 7 hour drive away and they were going to be close to the school on a certain date so they were hoping to avoid making that drive again. Yeah I wouldn't do an ITA in this case.

But again if phrased correctly some schools have straight up said they're willing to take these dates into account. Uchicago is the one example I have personally. I emailed them pretty much saying I was going to be in the area and if there was the possibility of me recieving an interview it would be very helpful to align it during that time. I think as long as the email doesn't sound entitled and the school has shown in the past to be receptive then it's ok. I was actually in the area for another interview though not a 6 hour drive away. Also I was above their average stats so it wasn't a reach or anything in my case. I know others tried it where it was a reach and they got rejections pretty immediately after.
No I agree with that and if worded correctly and the right situation than that works well. But from my experience, many medical school applicants are pretty tone deaf when it comes to wording it correctly. There's a reason the reputation is what it is for medical students. Therefore the immensely higher chance of it backfiring and auto-rejection. All the ITA email could possibly do would be to get them to look at your application. It definitely won't be the reason that you get an interview, it just might expedite the process.

But OP saying "in the area" when they're 7 hours away is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen on here in a while

I'm so glad you get it. This went toxic really quickly. In no way did I sound entitled. I have a full-time job and I am not some entitled undergrad on here. Some schools are receptive to it, and it bugs me that the one student above made a comment after saying they did not know what it was. I'm not sure where the other comments were coming from. I am non-trad, and these "7-hour drives" and taking off from work when I desperately need the pay, plus cost since I am self-funding is the reason why I made this post. I've had one school that was receptive to it, and was asking for expert advice on whether ITA would be ok since I was from the state but on opposite ends of it.

The condescending and general comments about "pre-meds" made by the student above say more about you than any pre-med. SDN should be a community where people can ask questions and get constructive responses.

I'm so glad you get it. This went toxic really quickly. In no way did I sound entitled. I have a full-time job and I am not some entitled undergrad on here. Some schools are receptive to it, and it bugs me that the one student above made a comment after saying they did not know what it was. I'm not sure where the other comments were coming from. I am non-trad, and these "7-hour drives" and taking off from work when I desperately need the pay, plus cost since I am self-funding is the reason why I made this post. I've had one school that was receptive to it, and was asking for expert advice on whether ITA would be ok since I was from the state but on opposite ends of it.

The condescending and general comments about "pre-meds" made by the student above say more about you than any pre-med. SDN should be a community where people can ask questions and get constructive responses.
dude nobody is denying your story. In the majority of cases, ITAs don't work. Also, using them as a way to expedite the process is a pretty entitled move. You aren't in the area if you have to drive 7 hours. Wait around like every other applicant.

I’m a nontrad applicant. I sent ITA requests for schools in the same state (different from mine, just to be clear lol) and was given two IIs. The schools did not email me back. They just sent the interview invite email. The other schools told me that the dates I told them were fully booked. If someone were to cancel, they will let me know.

I am a FAP recipient and traveling from west coast to the east coast would put a strain in my budget. I did not say this in my email but adcoms are aware of how much traveling costs.

No I agree with that and if worded correctly and the right situation than that works well. But from my experience, many medical school applicants are pretty tone deaf when it comes to wording it correctly. There's a reason the reputation is what it is for medical students. Therefore the immensely higher chance of it backfiring and auto-rejection. All the ITA email could possibly do would be to get them to look at your application. It definitely won't be the reason that you get an interview, it just might expedite the process.

But OP saying "in the area" when they're 7 hours away is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen on here in a while
dude nobody is denying your story. In the majority of cases, ITAs don't work. Also, using them as a way to expedite the process is a pretty entitled move. You aren't in the area if you have to drive 7 hours. Wait around like every other applicant.

This would have been a better answer than all the derailments above. I was looking for people's take on my question of "7 hours = ITA" like the answer you just gave. The other semantics were unnecessary and is why SDN has its current reputation. Anyways, good luck to the rest of you.

I'm currently applying this cycle while living abroad, and thus sent ITA requests to all my schools to let them know when I would be in the US and available for interviews. I have been pretty lucky so far (in terms of IIs at least). Of the invites I've received, only one I know for sure took my email into consideration. All the others just sent the II and I'm not sure if they actually read my email or if they were going to send me one anyway.

I don't see anything wrong with ITA requests. The ones that aren't receptive just sent a generic email back saying basically "we'll get to you when we get to you" or "IF we decide to interview, THEN we'll try and work with your schedule". But I doubt that some secretary responding to emails in the admissions office went to my file and added anything negative, it just seems like it would be too much work. As long as you send this type of email to a school where you'd actually be competitive, and keep your expectations realistic (more often than not ITA requests don't work) I think it's totally fine. Adcoms know that people have to spend tons of money on flights and hotels, and some are sympathetic to it.

Anyways, I do have one question - several people have been saying that UChicago is receptive to ITAs. If I sent them one a while ago and they haven't offered me an interview, do you think that means I'm out of the running there?

I'm currently applying this cycle while living abroad, and thus sent ITA requests to all my schools to let them know when I would be in the US and available for interviews. I have been pretty lucky so far (in terms of IIs at least). Of the invites I've received, only one I know for sure took my email into consideration. All the others just sent the II and I'm not sure if they actually read my email or if they were going to send me one anyway.

I don't see anything wrong with ITA requests. The ones that aren't receptive just sent a generic email back saying basically "we'll get to you when we get to you" or "IF we decide to interview, THEN we'll try and work with your schedule". But I doubt that some secretary responding to emails in the admissions office went to my file and added anything negative, it just seems like it would be too much work. As long as you send this type of email to a school where you'd actually be competitive, and keep your expectations realistic (more often than not ITA requests don't work) I think it's totally fine. Adcoms know that people have to spend tons of money on flights and hotels, and some are sympathetic to it.

Anyways, I do have one question - several people have been saying that UChicago is receptive to ITAs. If I sent them one a while ago and they haven't offered me an interview, do you think that means I'm out of the running there?

Not necessarily. They took about 2 to 3 weeks to respond to mine. Also I know people who sent them one and got a rejection the next day. I think it just depends if anyone sees your request in time because they put it in as an update to your application. So I'm guessing they take a look at the update and then if they're not interested they reject you. But of course I have no idea of thats how it actually is, just what I'm guessing.

ITAs seem to work for superstars, ie, if someone is interviewing at Columbia, Cornell and the other Manhattan Titans might be willing to squeeze such a candidate in.

But in the big picture, the requests do smack of a "Can I cut to the head of the line?" mentality and as such, are off putting to me.

ITAs seem to work for superstars, ie, if someone is interviewing at Columbia, Cornell and the other Manhattan Titans might be willing to squeeze such a candidate in.

But in the big picture, the requests do smack of a "Can I cut to the head of the line?" mentality and as such, are off putting to me.

That's understandable but for me I'm at the point where I'm considering withdrawing and not going back due to travel costs. I really don't want to but the extra shifts I've been taking at work to cover these costs on top of school have been draining me. Being able to alleviate some of that would be super helpful.

Just because you didn't like the answer doesn't mean it wasn't constructive.

upload_2018-11-5_14-51-4.png

Key word - politely. This is resolved anyways, see how straightforward Goro's response was. We should all strive to make our environments constructive for everyone, it doesn't matter to me personally, because I am not a pre-med without a backbone. If this is what people encounter when they need advice, more people would be silenced.

View attachment 241470
Key word - politely. This is resolved anyways, see how straightforward Goro's response was. We should all strive to make our environments constructive for everyone, it doesn't matter to me personally, because I am not a pre-med without a backbone. If this is what people encounter when they need advice, more people would be silenced.
Let it go, TF. People come to SDN for realistic advice, not hugs and kisses.

Reactions: 3 users