In-training exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am a 2nd-year surgery resident switching to anesthesia residency in July of this year (yay!) Am trying not to suck the ITE which we have to take in the beginning of the year while finishing out the rest of this year working bad hours and then moving across the country.

Is Secrets an OK text to try to get through before the end of June? Will I blow the test if this is the only book I read? I am just trying to be realistic with the amount of time that I have. I've looked at the book and I think it's a good format for me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing you'll need more than that.

A good start is Baby Miller, aka Miller & Stoelting Basics of Anesthesia

it's ok to suck on your first ITE... but make sure you dont suck on your second one.. that's more important.. progress...

Members don't see this ad :)
No one expects much for the ITE at the start of your CA1 year. If nothing else, grab Morgan and Mikhail and learn each of the key points they summarize that the start of each chapter. Easy to do and pretty high yield. But don't sweat the test. The first one is a gimme.

Am a 2nd-year surgery resident switching to anesthesia residency in July of this year (yay!) Am trying not to suck the ITE which we have to take in the beginning of the year while finishing out the rest of this year working bad hours and then moving across the country.

Is Secrets an OK text to try to get through before the end of June? Will I blow the test if this is the only book I read? I am just trying to be realistic with the amount of time that I have. I've looked at the book and I think it's a good format for me.

Thanks!

First ten chapters of baby miller (you can get a used last edition off amazon for dirt cheap). That'll jack your score up silly style.

Faust's anesthesiology review. If you even get through 1/4 of this thing your score will skyrocket.

Secrets is gonna be too much dude. Its just gobs of info all thrown in your face. Its good, dont get me wrong, but I still think its a bit much.

Dunno what else to tell ya....blueprints? $hit I cringe at advising that but it should be an easy read and it can only help you on the ITE.

BTW, its ok to suck on your first inservice, but you don't want to have the suckiest score of the lot. Trust me.

Make a point of reading about OB and pain management. Those are the biggest areas where your prior clinical experience will be of little or no use. Otherwise, there is a lot of general medicine on the test for which you should generally be well prepared.

Make a point of reading about OB and pain management. Those are the biggest areas where your prior clinical experience will be of little or no use. Otherwise, there is a lot of general medicine on the test for which you should generally be well prepared.

No offense to the OP, but after 2 yrs surgery I'm not sure how well prepared for general med they may be.

I'm taking the ITE this summer pre-internship (as required by my program)... is it realistic to think I won't improve much from pre-internship to pre-CA 1? It seems like it wouldn't be very useful to try to prep for the one this summer and instead try to do some anesthesia reading during intern year.

No offense to the OP, but after 2 yrs surgery I'm not sure how well prepared for general med they may be.

What do you mean? You don't think there will be any questions on how to change an Unna Boot or drain a gluteal abscess? But I've gotten SO GOOD at them... :)

if you read only one book, read Lange series Clinical Anesthesiology

If you want to read get either Morgan and Mikhail or baby miller. Don't read for the test but read for your first days as an aesthesia resident. Read the general anesthetic principles don't get bogged down on the subspecialty stuff, there is plenty of time to learn that later. Don't take the intraining exam too seriously. It doesn't really matter how you do the first time but that you show progress during your residency and that that progress gets you to a passing level. I drank about a pitcher and a half of beer during the lunch break of my first one. I don't remember what it was but I had some serious thoughts of finishing that second pitcher and not going back and taking the rest of the test. I was glad I went back, I felt a whole lot better about the last part of the test.

I do not think you can go through a whole book in eight weeks while being a junior surgery resident.

As Vent suggested, I would read the first several chapters of Baby miller or M &M. Then, you should just read Faust. Glance through its topics and read whatever topic your want to read.

BTW, be sure to brush off some old card/pulm physiology textbooks.