1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Inappropriate PMs, how to respond

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kimka83, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimka83

Kimka83 SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi all,
    I have received several inappropriate PMs from a certain user. I tried to forward them to one of the moderators, but I have yet to receive a response, and I have received more PMs in the meantime. I need some help, the PMs make me feel uncomfortable. Any advice? :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SeventhSon

SeventhSon SIMMER DOWN
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    my suggestion is to laugh knowing that you will have your choice of virtually any medical school that you want.

4. tank you

tank you 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

im not completely sure about this, but isnt there an ignore option somewhere? look around for it.

5. MercyKillerDoc

MercyKillerDoc Membership Revoked
    Removed

Ending your own life will prevent them from making you feel sad. Dont let them win.

6. Quazimodo

Quazimodo QuasiMedStudent
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't you have a delete button? I do.

7. AggieJohn

AggieJohn Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmm, Are they threats on your life or something like that?

Because if not, you getting upset, and indeed this entire post is pointless.

PS: To people who may in the future make a post, just use the same format the OP did. Give a vague title, followed by no more information in the post, and leave the people you are asking for advice as little background required so they have no way of helping you.

8. Phil Anthropist

Phil Anthropist SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Hi Kimka83,

Sorry for just getting back to you now. PM the user and tell the user that you are not comfortable with the messages you are receiving and that he/she should cease sending you messages in the future. This usually solves the problem. You can ignore or delete any future messages. The moderators try *not to* intervene with personal disputes over PM unless absolutely necessary. There have been immediate issues (e.g., a user knew an SDNer's actual identity and made a threat) that we've stepped into, but we do try to avoid intervention.

I don't believe the ignore option applies to private messaging. I think it just applies to posts by ignored users, but I could be mistaken.

You may wish to keep the PMs for your records, just in case. If there are very questionable or threatening PMs, you can send those to moderators. But again, we do try not to involve ourselves with PMs between users unless absolutely necessary.

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact us.

9. Kimka83

Kimka83 SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi all,
    Please consider this thread closed. I did not mean to bother anyone, and most responses have been very negative. Thanks for the advice about the ignore list, I did not know that was an option, I will use it. That was really all that I was looking for. I was not getting threats on my life, simply sexual innuendo. I understand that I can delete the PMs. I am sorry to everyone who was irritated by my post. I don't want this to turn into a big deal. So let's just drop the whole thing. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.