Inappropriate PMs, how to respond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimka83

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have received several inappropriate PMs from a certain user. I tried to forward them to one of the moderators, but I have yet to receive a response, and I have received more PMs in the meantime. I need some help, the PMs make me feel uncomfortable. Any advice? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Kimka83 said:
Hi all,
I have received several inappropriate PMs from a certain user. I tried to forward them to one of the moderators, but I have yet to receive a response, and I have received more PMs in the meantime. I need some help, the PMs make me feel uncomfortable. Any advice? :(

my suggestion is to laugh knowing that you will have your choice of virtually any medical school that you want.

im not completely sure about this, but isnt there an ignore option somewhere? look around for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kimka83 said:
Hi all,

Ending your own life will prevent them from making you feel sad. Dont let them win.

Don't you have a delete button? I do.

Hmm, Are they threats on your life or something like that?

Because if not, you getting upset, and indeed this entire post is pointless.

PS: To people who may in the future make a post, just use the same format the OP did. Give a vague title, followed by no more information in the post, and leave the people you are asking for advice as little background required so they have no way of helping you.

Kimka83 said:
Hi all,
Hi Kimka83,

Sorry for just getting back to you now. PM the user and tell the user that you are not comfortable with the messages you are receiving and that he/she should cease sending you messages in the future. This usually solves the problem. You can ignore or delete any future messages. The moderators try *not to* intervene with personal disputes over PM unless absolutely necessary. There have been immediate issues (e.g., a user knew an SDNer's actual identity and made a threat) that we've stepped into, but we do try to avoid intervention.

I don't believe the ignore option applies to private messaging. I think it just applies to posts by ignored users, but I could be mistaken.

You may wish to keep the PMs for your records, just in case. If there are very questionable or threatening PMs, you can send those to moderators. But again, we do try not to involve ourselves with PMs between users unless absolutely necessary.

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact us.

AggieJohn said:
Hmm, Are they threats on your life or something like that?

Because if not, you getting upset, and indeed this entire post is pointless.

PS: To people who may in the future make a post, just use the same format the OP did. Give a vague title, followed by no more information in the post, and leave the people you are asking for advice as little background required so they have no way of helping you.

Hi all,
Please consider this thread closed. I did not mean to bother anyone, and most responses have been very negative. Thanks for the advice about the ignore list, I did not know that was an option, I will use it. That was really all that I was looking for. I was not getting threats on my life, simply sexual innuendo. I understand that I can delete the PMs. I am sorry to everyone who was irritated by my post. I don't want this to turn into a big deal. So let's just drop the whole thing. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.