How to respond to "have you applied to other schools before / why"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc.Junior

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Penn State asks: "Have you, previous to this application year, applied for admission to any medical school other than Penn State College of Medicine? ...Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)"

Anyone have recommendations for how to handle this? To me, it feels awkward for 2 reasons: 1 (less of an issue) I didn't get in before; 2 (seems bigger issue) I didn't apply here before. Not really sure how to explain why, except that I didn't branch out as widely before. I think Penn State would actually be a great option, but I'm concerned they'll think I didn't value them enough to apply before.

Members don't see this ad.

Answer truthfully. They aren't asking why you didn't apply to Penn State, they're asking what you've done since your prior application. You only get 75 words, so there isn't much to say--concretely state what has changed since your prior application.

Students apply to or don't apply to schools for random reasons. They aren't going to feel jilted that you didn't apply last time, and if they did there just isn't anything you can do about it anyways.

Reactions: 6 users
They aren't even asking where you applied in the past. If you applied to Penn State, they know that and can look at your old application. If you didn't apply to Penn State but obviously are a reapplicant, then how have you improved? with just 75 words they aren't expecting anything fancy.

I applied in the 2017-2018 and in the 2019-2020 cycles. Since that time I have:
retaken the MCAT and and completed a SMP at TopDog University. In addition, I have served as volunteer EMT and been employed as a scribe, experiences I did not have going into the 2019-2020 cycle.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Addressing other posters who will find this thread:
If you moved from one state to another (thus different claim of state residency), it would be worth mentioning in this very brief essay.

I applied for the xxxx entering class as a resident of [state], but did not get into any of my state schools having lacked a strong MCAT score and clinical experiences. Since moving, I ...

Please don't use all your word limit to list the 30-40 schools you applied to last time.

You may also have legitimate reasons, such as your health or caring for your family. Be honest about it, especially if it is documentable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
They're not jealous dates. Just answer the question truthfully
Then why do some of them ask questions that make them sound like jealous dates? :)

I was always under the impression that you were not a reapplicant if you had not previously applied to the specific school. Why is it appropriate for schools to ask about prior applications to other schools?

Then why do some of them ask questions that make them sound like jealous dates? :)

I was always under the impression that you were not a reapplicant if you had not previously applied to the specific school. Why is it appropriate for schools to ask about prior applications to other schools?
For one thing, it's a sign of commitment to Medicine.

It also ties into your thinking process in previous app cycles, as well displaying as your maturity and wisdom in improving your application.

And you're not getting penalized for it either. The reapplicant stigma is an sdn thing.

Reactions: 3 users
For one thing, it's a sign of commitment to Medicine.

It also ties into your thinking process in previous app cycles, as well displaying as your maturity and wisdom in improving your application.

And you're not getting penalized for it either. The reapplicant stigma is an sdn thing.
Sounds good! Forgive me for thinking that questions about how we improved from a prior cycle are designed to give us another hoop to jump through, which actually is a kind of penalty.

If this is such valuable, relevant information to schools where we are first-time applicants, it's surprising AMCAS doesn't make it available to them, or that more schools don't ask for it.

If this is such valuable, relevant information to schools where we are first-time applicants, it's surprising AMCAS doesn't make it available to them, or that more schools don't ask for it.
Because that would be a database of of some 25,000 names to wade through.

All; they're asking is "did you apply previously?" It's not a trap

Reactions: 4 users
Because that would be a database of of some 25,000 names to wade through.

All; they're asking is "did you apply previously?" It's not a trap
Not really, but I hear you. AMCAS already has access to a database containing everyone who ever registered with AAMC for anything, along with an associated ID number that follows us forever. Having a field to tell schools whether the applicant ever submitted a primary in a prior cycle would literally be no extra work at all for them.

My guess is that they don't do it because they don't think there is a good reason to provide this information to the schools. How else to explain the omission, in light of all of the information that they do collect and pass along to the schools?

Not really, but I hear you. AMCAS already has access to a database containing everyone who ever registered with AAMC for anything, along with an associated ID number that follows us forever. Having a field to tell schools whether the applicant ever submitted a primary in a prior cycle would literally be no extra work at all for them.

My guess is that they don't do it because they don't think there is a good reason to provide this information to the schools. How else to explain the omission, in light of all of the information that they do collect and pass along to the schools?
Maybe the medical schools want to hear it from you?

I repeat, The Prompt is not a trap. I have seen plenty of people on student Doctor Who did not get accepted their first time around, reapplied and then were accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Consider this question a test of your critical thinking skills and ability to practice continuous quality improvement. Were you able to assess your weaknesses and address them before reapplying? As a medical student, trainee and as an attending you'll be asked to assess your weaknesses and make plans to address them through continuing education, additional simulations, etc. If you've done this as a re-applicant, tell us what you did.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

I can't speak for sure but there are probably some legal issues that limit sharing such information (think FERPA). Otherwise theoretically every application service would share this information with others in their CAS.

The admissions offices likely retain past application records but we have to destroy records of those who don't matriculate after a period of time (FERPA and Institutional policy). This could include the short turnaround between application cycles.

I can't speak for sure but there are probably some legal issues that limit sharing such information (think FERPA). Otherwise theoretically every application service would share this information with others in their CAS.

The admissions offices likely retain past application records but we have to destroy records of those who don't matriculate after a period of time (FERPA and Institutional policy). This could include the short turnaround between application cycles.
Didn't AMCAS used to actually tell schools where their candidates where accepted or waitlisted? Were there FERPA issues with that?

I totally get what @Goro is saying about it not being a big deal. I'm just tripping over the fact that reapplicants do have a more difficult time in general, it IS an additional hoop to jump through, and most schools don't care if you are not a reapplicant to their school.

This makes me suspicious that the question is as benign as all of the adcoms on this thread seem to think it is. Do any of your schools ask it?

There is a lot that goes into the backend even if it appears to be a simple feature.

The reapplicants having a more difficult time likely still have deficiencies in their application that they haven’t addressed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Didn't AMCAS used to actually tell schools where their candidates where accepted or waitlisted? Were there FERPA issues with that?

I totally get what @Goro is saying about it not being a big deal. I'm just tripping over the fact that reapplicants do have a more difficult time in general, it IS an additional hoop to jump through, and most schools don't care if you are not a reapplicant to their school.

This makes me suspicious that the question is as benign as all of the adcoms on this thread seem to think it is. Do any of your schools ask it?
CYMS was developed because AMCAS schools were not supposed to know where candidates were accepted or waitlisted (FERPA and anti-trust issues). We can find out where students matriculated at the end of the process, but that's it.

I have persuaded faculty to not ask about other schools on secondary applications and to avoid asking about it on interview day. I professionally don't think that asking a reapplicant for their past school lists is the business of the admissions committee because of potential bias that could be introduced with the answer if it is not properly managed. (There are better questions to ask if one is a reapplicant, though I get your point about jumping through hoops again.) However, I can't control faculty, and the committee sets the rules for the process.

Granted, applicants have been asked how many schools they also applied to, which is like the campground game of taking a roll of toilet paper and taking out the number of sheets you use in a week.

But I reiterate @Goro's point as well: reapplicants are doing just fine. If you were smart, you should be applying to all of your in-state choices and maybe some programs similar tot he questioning program. I'm also guessing residency directors could ask a similar question of you about what other programs you've interviewed at when you get to that point.

• Love

Jeeze, you're not gonna let go of this bone, are you?

What extra hoops are you jumping through?? It's a prompt on a secondary! Just answer the question.

And despite what is noted above, there are medical schools where interviewers will ask you exactly what schools you have applied to in that cycle.

Honestly, for your own well-being, you're going to need to develop a much thicker skin to get through this process. Or, as the wise gonnif pointed out, don't apply to Penn State or any of the school that asks you if you are reapplicant.

Reactions: 2 users
that is incorrect, AMCAS does not want to get involved in any legal action with applicants applying to medical school. If AMCAS were to provide previous application status to every school, could it be used against you as previously failed applicant? If so can AMCAS be held liable? This has been the stance with AMCAS for decades.
B-I-N-G-O!!!!!! And THIS is why I think it is inappropriate to even ask! :)

If I have not previously applied to a given school, I am not a reapplicant to that school, and should not be expected to answer questions regarding what I did in other cycles with other schools, or how my qualifications changed, since I never applied to this school before. I am entitled to be evaluated as first time applicant if I have not previously applied to the school.

Reactions: 1 user
B-I-N-G-O!!!!!! And THIS is why I think it is inappropriate to even ask! :)

If I have not previously applied to a given school, I am not a reapplicant to that school, and should not be expected to answer questions regarding what I did in other cycles with other schools, or how my qualifications changed, since I never applied to this school before. I am entitled to be evaluated as first time applicant if I have not previously applied to the school.
OK, so if you are not a rising college senior, what have you been doing since you graduated college?

If you are not a rising college senior, and you took the MCAT prior to last September, you will be assumed to be a reapplicant. Rather than make an assumption, the school is asking "are you?? If so, what have you done to improve?"

If you don't like the question, don't apply to that school.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users