Include future research in AMCAS activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My application is nearing completion, so I'm making some last minute considerations. Is it good practice to include future research in the activities section of an application? I will be working on a senior thesis next year in a biochemistry lab with a PI who's already agreed to take me on - in other words, yes, I'm certain I'll be doing this research. I have no intentions of writing a ton about it, I'd just like to mention projects I'm considering. My primary purpose for including this information is that it might encourage interview questions, thereby giving me a chance to speak about something I really enjoy (like my other activities, which are few in number but rich in personal meaning). For what it's worth, many of the schools to which I'm applying are research-oriented schools. Thanks for your time!
-Mark

Members don't see this ad.

no

i wait to be corrected or affirmed

PhT said:
Hello all,

My application is nearing completion, so I'm making some last minute considerations. Is it good practice to include future research in the activities section of an application? I will be working on a senior thesis next year in a biochemistry lab with a PI who's already agreed to take me on - in other words, yes, I'm certain I'll be doing this research. I have no intentions of writing a ton about it, I'd just like to mention projects I'm considering. My primary purpose for including this information is that it might encourage interview questions, thereby giving me a chance to speak about something I really enjoy (like my other activities, which are few in number but rich in personal meaning). For what it's worth, many of the schools to which I'm applying are research-oriented schools. Thanks for your time!
-Mark

i wouldn't.. same with "upcoming" volunteer service..

these are things that can be discussed in secondaries or interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
especially b.c it is research the answer is no; you should do the research then write an update. If you've already done research and want to expand upon projects you will work on in the comming year that may be doable but if you havent done any research I dont think it's good to write it. If you turn you amcas in by the end of june that is still quite early so you may want to start your reserach project, learn about it, then write in on the amcas. goood luck!

I wouldn't. It's one thing to explain that you will continue an activity during the upcoming year, but I think it's unwise to describe something that you haven't even participated in, yet. How can it possibly be meaningful to you if you haven't even experienced it? It seems like it would give the impression that you're simply trying to fill up the 15 spaces. Good luck. :)

Don't. Save those things for your future update letters. :D

Would you consider the same for summer research programs? Prestigious school etc. not worth the mention if I haven't actually participated in it yet?