Include in personal statement, or will it sound arrogant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lams11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My personal statement will largely be centered around a particular patient population I've worked with. It will discuss me volunteering with them, caring for them clinically, and also doing research with the potential to benefit them.

Research is one of my most significant ECs, with 5000+ hours. This has resulted in 2 first-author publications in which I created new technologies that could potentially benefit this patient population. I currently have a line in my personal statement basically saying "seeing how poor the treatment options were for 'x' in the clinic has driven me to develop new technologies to improve treatment options."

Should I include something to the effect of "technologies which resulted in me being lead author of 2 scientific papers" or should I completely leave this type of information out?

1. I feel as if including it might come off as arrogant and bragging.

2. At the same time, I feel like leaving it out might either

A) Make the previous line sound a little ridiculous in the moment of reading it and make the reader roll their eyes ("Oh really? You developed new technologies? He probably assisted a grad student in a few experiments")
or
B) Downplay the significant amount of time and passion I've put into the research, making it seem less impactful in my personal statement

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need to repeat the publications part....it is in your amcas. Talk about the passion.

Reactions: 4 users
My personal statement will largely be centered around a particular patient population I've worked with. It will discuss me volunteering with them, caring for them clinically, and also doing research with the potential to benefit them.

Research is one of my most significant ECs, with 5000+ hours. This has resulted in 2 first-author publications in which I created new technologies that could potentially benefit this patient population. I currently have a line in my personal statement basically saying "seeing how poor the treatment options were for 'x' in the clinic has driven me to develop new technologies to improve treatment options."

Should I include something to the effect of "technologies which resulted in me being lead author of 2 scientific papers" or should I completely leave this type of information out?

1. I feel as if including it might come off as arrogant and bragging.

2. At the same time, I feel like leaving it out might either

A) Make the previous line sound a little ridiculous in the moment of reading it and make the reader roll their eyes ("Oh really? You developed new technologies? He probably assisted a grad student in a few experiments")
or
B) Downplay the significant amount of time and passion I've put into the research, making it seem less impactful in my personal statement

Any thoughts?
don't downplay anything. if you truly developed the new technologies, talk about that. focus on the passion behind developing them and any specifics that make it clear you were the driving factor in the development. the sentence is super mild, and is factual. no one's going to think you're bragging if you state it just like that. also, the assumption is you received an LOR from the experience that will back up any claims you make.

Don't include it if you're just going to write what you wrote above. It's already in your applications, the schools will see it. Only write more about the research if you can write something that will convey something about you: how it made you grow, how you learned how much you love research, technology, something. If you will just be writing about the value of the research, then skip it.

Reactions: 1 users