Include Parental info on FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Doc B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that as a MD seeking student, you are considered an independent in FAFSA terms. Despite this, you have the option to include parental info if you wish.

My question: Is there anything to gain by adding parental info? Do schools require your parental info?

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

From what I can gather, it sounds like many schools do ask for your parental info. It won't affect your eligibility for federal aid, but they use it to determine if you qualify for institutional grants and scholarships they may have. This kind of sucks--my mother doesn't make much (~15K last year), but she recently remarried and apparently I have to include his income. This still isn't much (less than 50K for them combined), but neither of them assists me financially in any way. Oh well.

Future Doc B said:
I know that as a MD seeking student, you are considered an independent in FAFSA terms. Despite this, you have the option to include parental info if you wish.

My question: Is there anything to gain by adding parental info? Do schools require your parental info?

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Find out if your school offers grants or need-based scholarships. Most schools require you to fill out their own information or don't even offer these. For the few that do, they may require info on the FAFSA.

Contact your school first and ask if they require it.

None of the 4 schools I was admitted to did.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is my understanding that most schools consider you "dependent" regardless of your status, so you must include parental information.
It is definitely unfortunate for those of us who have to include parental financial information when we are not not receiving any help, but it is more unfortunate that we are not receiving help, because the ones that don't help you will be the first at your graduation!
But I agree with the previous post, contact the school and see if they require it, but even if only one requires it you have to include on your fafsa.
LGW

LGW said:
It is my understanding that most schools consider you "dependent" regardless of your status, so you must include parental information.
It is definitely unfortunate for those of us who have to include parental financial information when we are not not receiving any help, but it is more unfortunate that we are not receiving help, because the ones that don't help you will be the first at your graduation!
But I agree with the previous post, contact the school and see if they require it, but even if only one requires it you have to include on your fafsa.
LGW

As a graduate or medical student, you are considered independent by federal law.

Schools will consider you the same, unless there is some specific requirement for private money they may give you. Keep in mind, it is very rare for schools to give out money like this.

Yes, but regardless - they expect you to inform them about your parents' assets - even if you've been married for 10 years, have a mortgage, and a baby (like me)

chanjurban said:
Yes, but regardless - they expect you to inform them about your parents' assets - even if you've been married for 10 years, have a mortgage, and a baby (like me)
yeah, i'm 99% sure the woman at case said we list our parental info for any need-based considerations (grants, scholarships, whatever) at any school. i think she basically said that if none of us had to provide parental info, we'd all be considered "poor" and they wouldn't know who to give the financial aid to. :laugh:

chanjurban said:

The schools in Oklahoma and Texas don't.

I can only speak for here.

superdevil said:
yeah, i'm 99% sure the woman at case said we list our parental info for any need-based considerations (grants, scholarships, whatever) at any school. i think she basically said that if none of us had to provide parental info, we'd all be considered "poor" and they wouldn't know who to give the financial aid to. :laugh:

We ARE considered poor. That's why your EFC can be zero, and you can be qualified for Sub Stafford & Perkins.

My EFC was zero because I didn't not put my parents on the FAFSA. As a result, I'm getting all the money I want.

I would not have qualified for those if my parents' incomes were used.

The FAFSA cannot use this information against you, but schools can.

OSUdoc08 said:
We ARE considered poor. That's why your EFC can be zero, and you can be qualified for Sub Stafford & Perkins.

My EFC was zero because I didn't not put my parents on the FAFSA. As a result, I'm getting all the money I want.

I would not have qualified for those if my parents' incomes were used.

The FAFSA cannot use this information against you, but schools can.

I could be totally off base here but isn't there some kind of little "clause" on the FAFSA that says if you are a graduate/professional student in a health-related field than you are required to put your parental info...? Can someone clear this up?

Nittany Lion said:
I could be totally off base here but isn't there some kind of little "clause" on the FAFSA that says if you are a graduate/professional student in a health-related field than you are required to put your parental info...? Can someone clear this up?

I am considered 'independent' because I am over a certain age (I think it's over 24, but I could definitely be wrong about that) and this is what comes up for me:

Because you have answered "Yes" to at least one of the 'Student Status' questions in Step 2, we've determined that the student is considered an " independent" student and therefore doesn't have to answer any questions about the student's parents'. There are a couple of reasons why you might want to answer some questions about the student's parents':

If the student is a graduate health profession student (such as a medical or nursing student), or
The student attends a college that requires parental information from all students, you can choose to answer questions about the student's parents'.

huduvudu said:
I am considered 'independent' because I am over a certain age (I think it's over 24, but I could definitely be wrong about that) and this is what comes up for me:

Because you have answered "Yes" to at least one of the 'Student Status' questions in Step 2, we've determined that the student is considered an " independent" student and therefore doesn't have to answer any questions about the student's parents'. There are a couple of reasons why you might want to answer some questions about the student's parents':

If the student is a graduate health profession student (such as a medical or nursing student), or
The student attends a college that requires parental information from all students, you can choose to answer questions about the student's parents'.

That statement is exactly the one I'm talking about. What's the benefit for independent health profession students to fill out parental information? (why not for law school students?)

Future Doc B said:
That statement is exactly the one I'm talking about. What's the benefit for independent health profession students to fill out parental information? (why not for law school students?)

If the only financial aid you plan on seeking are federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans, then you do NOT need to complete the parental info. If you wish to be considered for any government need based aid (such as pell grants), you DO need to include parental info. Many schools also require you to fill out the parental info if you are seeking any need based aid or scholarships from the school. I'm not sure if a school can actually require you to submit parental info if you are not asking for any need based aid or not.

The above also speaks to the benefit . . . for those who came from a lower income background, you are more likely to be eligible for grants. And - the FAFSA may not say so, but I am pretty sure that they view law schools students the same way that medical students are viewed.

Does anyone know if you do have to include income information from your step-parent if your parent(s) remarry? I would prefer to only include the info for my biological parent, as I would certainly qualify for need-based aid such as pell grants based on that info. They did file jointly this year, so if I have to submit tax info to verify what I put on the FAFSA it will show both of their incomes. Like I said earlier, their combined income is still on the low side, but I don't know if I would still qualify for need-based aid if I have to give his info as well. They just got married this year after I turned 24, so it seems bizarre that I would have to include his income; but then this process is rather bizarre.

AmyBEMT said:
If the only financial aid you plan on seeking are federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans, then you do NOT need to complete the parental info. If you wish to be considered for any government need based aid (such as pell grants), you DO need to include parental info. Many schools also require you to fill out the parental info if you are seeking any need based aid or scholarships from the school. I'm not sure if a school can actually require you to submit parental info if you are not asking for any need based aid or not.

The above also speaks to the benefit . . . for those who came from a lower income background, you are more likely to be eligible for grants. And - the FAFSA may not say so, but I am pretty sure that they view law schools students the same way that medical students are viewed.

Medical students are not eligible to recieve Pell grants. Those are only for undergraduate students. Even if you have an EFC of $0 (which I did), you will only be qualified for stafford and perkins loans. This is with or without parental information required.

The only reason you would include the parental info is if your school provides private or state need-based aid. Most schools do not provide this.

AmyBEMT said:

Is there an approximate cutoff for one's parental income that makes a student ineligible for any need based aid or any aid aside from the stafford loans?

I have heard that some residencies and fellowships won't consider you if you didn't report your parents info, anyone shed any light on that?

donuthead said:
Is there an approximate cutoff for one's parental income that makes a student ineligible for any need based aid or any aid aside from the stafford loans?

As a medical student you are eligible for the following federal aid:

Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
Subsidized Stafford Loans
Perkins Loans

The parental income is NOT CONSIDERED for the above federal aid as a graduate student.

If you are applying for state or private aid, the parental information may be considered. Check with your school's financial aid department for more details.

Doc 2b said:
I have heard that some residencies and fellowships won't consider you if you didn't report your parents info, anyone shed any light on that?

They don't have access to this information.

On top of that, it doesn't make any sense.

Yeah doesn't to me either, but on one of my interviews one of the people giving us th finaid talk said something about, he sounded about 3/4 full of **** to begin with so..

Doc 2b said:
Yeah doesn't to me either, but on one of my interviews one of the people giving us th finaid talk said something about, he sounded about 3/4 full of **** to begin with so..

In my experience through college and medical school so far, I find it best to listen to those who have been in your place.

Listening to those employed by universities that are paid to tell you certain things, and haven't actually experienced it themselves can often be biased and give flawed advice. This was particularly true at my undergrad. At my current school, however, they have been extremely helpful, but I attribute this to the very small class size.

I just sent mine in, f#$% it. I'm sick of worrying about.