Include politically polarizing EC on activities section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostatsea13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I volunteer as an after-abortion counselor and I'm worried about putting it on my primary. The organization isn't necessarily pro-choice or pro-life and has no political or religious agenda in any way, we just want to provide a safe space for women (and their partners or family members) to talk about their abortion experiences without judgment. Some of our clients themselves are pro-life. I really love doing it and I was even going to list it as one my "most meaningful" activities, but a med student friend told me that certain schools might reject me right away if they saw that.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I say got for it. Explain it the way you just did and you should be fine. AdComs are not supposed to look at any applicant's applicant with political bias based on their beliefs so as long as you can explain why you enjoy doing this you should be fine. That being said, there will of course be some who may take the unethical route and bias your application anyway, but I would hope that this would only be a small percentage of schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd agree that it's a valuable and worthwhile activity, particularly since you say that your organization does not have a political or religious agenda and that some of your clients are pro-life. (I'm curious how that works in, and if you can explain in your statement, more the better.)

That said, I would expect a small minority of schools (Liberty U and Loma Linda) to discriminate accordingly, but actually, a larger share of schools to appreciate the moral tightrope walk and give you credit for successfully navigating a polarizing grey zone.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The schools that would look at this as a negative aren't ones you want to attend anyway

I say include it

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'd agree that it's a valuable and worthwhile activity, particularly since you say that your organization does not have a political or religious agenda and that some of your clients are pro-life. (I'm curious how that works in, and if you can explain in your statement, more the better.)

I spoke to a woman who came from a very religious background and was staunchly pro-life, but she chose to obtain an abortion because she felt she couldn't handle it physically and financially. I've also spoken to a pro-life boyfriend of a woman who got an abortion. Still other pro-life women are pressured by their partners or family members. We understand that labels aren't always binding so we provide a safe space for people to talk about a decision that they might think was hypocritical. (Sorry to ramble i just love talking about it!)

But thanks for the advice! I'll definitely use it :)

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think a person would have difficulty getting admitted to schools like Icahn and Einstein if they were active in the BDS movement or other pro-Palestinian groups?

I'm not, but I am wondering.

Do you think a person would have difficulty getting admitted to schools like Icahn and Einstein if they were active in the BDS movement or other pro-Palestinian groups?

I'm not, but I am wondering.

Wouldn't that be kind of like being an atheist at Loma Linda? Probably would be surrounding yourself with a frustrating environment... (still better than not getting your MD I guess) ...though to be honest, there's a lot of people with views that, to put it crudely, aren't exactly going to align with your typical Haaretz reader at schools throughout the East Coast.