Include sorority in experiences section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tulips

White Knight
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in a sorority for my first half of college but I didn't hold any leadership positions and was pretty inactive except for going to meetings and parties. We do hold a yearly benefit for cystic fibrosis, which I could highlight. Do medical schools look down upon sororities? Or do sororities show some sort of social competence that could be looked at as positive? Should I include this in my list of experiences on my application.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It is probably hit or miss whether an adcom is going to see it as positive or negative. If they were in a fraternity or a sorority, they might like it. Others might see it as superficial social experience. I personally would leave it off since you did not hold a leadership position. However, I am biased against greek organizations, so you should take my advice with a grain of salt.

I mean, does the experience say much about your personalities or motivation to pursue medicine? A yearly event helping CF doesn't sound much significance to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
like, totally.

I only mentioned my fraternity in the context of leadership positions I'd had. If you didn't do much, and it doesn't add to your application except to say "I'm Greek," then you may as well leave it off.

If it makes you sound like a more competitive applicant then by all means put it down. Like to Dr. Doan said, especially if you had a lot to do with the CF thing. I put my fraternity stuff down cause I had some leadership stuff. Incidentally, one of my iterviewers was an alum and gave me the handshake when I walked in the room. We talked about football the whole time. I'm not sure if it helped me at all, but it was a good icebreaker.

Good luck with AMCAS, it sucks.

menemotxi said:
Incidentally, one of my iterviewers was an alum and gave me the handshake when I walked in the room. We talked about football the whole time. I'm not sure if it helped me at all, but it was a good icebreaker.

Did you learn it from watching "Road Trip"?

tulips said:
I was in a sorority for my first half of college ...
Thanks

Here's a point that I don't think the others have picked up on yet... Why were you only in the sorority for the first half of school? Personally, i don't really need to know... ;) but the adcoms might be curious about that, especially since you said you didn't hold any leadership positions. It might not be a big deal, but just thought i'd raise it as something to think about. Two years and no leadership might suggest that you, yourself, didn't consider it a very important part of your experience (or maybe you actually learned something about your self in those two years and as a result, decided to leave the org.?)

In any case - whatever you decide to include, be prepared to talk about it and tell an interviewer why it was an important experience. I had one interviewer who sat and looked at my AMCAS application during our time and went down the list one by one. It was a good thing that all of those activities were important to me and I could express why...

Good luck!

I think that the generation(s) that compose admissions committees currently may have a positive opinion of fraternities/sororities. I base this opinion on purely anecdotal evidence so keep in mind I may be full of it. I have often heard people from these generations reminisce about those good times in one of these organizations, but even from those who did not participate I don?t hear the negative responses that I often here from the younger generations with respect to these groups.

I was never in one of these, but if I had been I would probably include the information if it added diversity to my profile. If I did include it, I would make sure that the rest of my application made it apparent that while I was a member I could not be categorized into a ?sorority girl/frat boy? stereotype. Plus as others have mentioned, there is always a possibility that your organization may give you a connection to an adcom.

I also agree with FinallyOnMyWay though that you should make sure the experience is something you are comfortable/confident talking about before including it in you app.

tulips said:
I was in a sorority for my first half of college but I didn't hold any leadership positions and was pretty inactive except for going to meetings and parties. We do hold a yearly benefit for cystic fibrosis, which I could highlight. Do medical schools look down upon sororities? Or do sororities show some sort of social competence that could be looked at as positive? Should I include this in my list of experiences on my application.

Thanks

"social competence"

i love it

I knew sororoties were good for something :)

I would say definitely include it in your application, who knows an alum can be on the panel

Members don't see this ad :)
The awkwardness of people not keeping the internet up to date on their actions.

As a dedicated sorority member, this statement alone raises a lot of flags. Greek life is largely focused on life-long commitment. If an adcom member is also involved in the Greek community, they will quickly ask you if you dropped out or were kicked out after the 2 years.

Did you miss the part where this thread is 7 years old?

So I guess we are operating under the assumption that sorority girls aren't the sharpest crayons in the box?

Last edited:
So I guess we are operating under the assumption that sorority girls aren't the sharpest crayon in the box?

They can suck a golf ball through a garden hose, though

So many people on SDN have misconceptions about fraternities and sororities. I'm in a fraternity, and I have a 3.96 sGPA and 3.92 cGPA, excellent LORs, and excellent ECs at a top public state university. Stereotypes are stupid

Well it has been 7 years now, things are different now, we have a black president.

So many people on SDN have misconceptions about fraternities and sororities. I'm in a fraternity, and I have a 3.96 sGPA and 3.92 cGPA, excellent LORs, and excellent ECs at a top public state university. Stereotypes are stupid

Cool story, bro.

I've run into my fair share of people involved with Greek life, and while by no means are ALL of them dolts, many of them are. I think the generalization that Greeks don't care too much about their studies is pretty spot on.

That said, I also know a couple of girls that were into sororities that got into some great graduate/professional schools. But they certainly aren't your typical frat guy/sorority girl.

I think the generalization that Greeks don't care too much about their studies is pretty spot on.

That said, I also know a couple of girls that were into sororities that got into some great graduate/professional schools. But they certainly aren't your typical frat guy/sorority girl.
Congrats, you contradicted yourself in two sentences.

Let's all just agree stereotypes are bad.

Congrats, you contradicted yourself in two sentences.

Let's all just agree stereotypes are bad.

Guess you didn't read my post then.

Statement 1: In my experience, most Greeks don't care about their studies.
Statement 2: I knew a couple of Greeks that did well, but they're by no means the typical Greeks that I've met.

Where's the contradiction?

Good for you, you're the exception. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Statement 2: I knew a couple of Greeks that did well, but they're by no means the typical Greeks that I've met.

I think this may be true, based on your experiences, but the Greek systems vary widely between universities. For example, I would say the sororities at UChicago are probably VERY different from the sororities at Alabama or Ole Miss.

I think this may be true, based on your experiences, but the Greek systems vary widely between universities. For example, I would say the sororities at UChicago are probably VERY different from the sororities at Alabama or Ole Miss.

Oh no doubt. I didn't go to a top school by any means, so I'm sure that colors the perception. I would wholeheartedly agree that Greeks at top schools are probably way different than the Greeks I interacted with.

The only difference between "good old boy" greeks down south and northern "legacy" greeks is that kids from the north have their noses turned up while they get drunk and party every night. The only thing worse than a frat daddy is a frat daddy who thinks he's better than everyone else because he's in a frat.

Statement 1 - Stereotyping "most Greeks" as not caring about their studies.
Statement 2 - Your own personal experience that proves it doesn't hold true.

So why maintain the stereotype?

Guess you just want to stereotype people then.

Statement 1 - Stereotyping "most Greeks" as not caring about their studies.
Statement 2 - Your own personal experience that proves it doesn't hold true.

So why maintain the stereotype?

Guess you just want to stereotype people then.

Ah, ok. You must not know what a generalization is then.

Oh no doubt. I didn't go to a top school by any means, so I'm sure that colors the perception. I would wholeheartedly agree that Greeks at top schools are probably way different than the Greeks I interacted with.

The Greeks at top schools are most often not very "Greek"... and I don't even party.

Ah, ok. You must not know what a generalization is then.
Are you really trying to defend the difference between a stereotype and a generalization?

What I don't get is why you would freely "generalize" people involved in greek life as uninvolved with their studies when you know it doesn't hold true. Basically you're saying it's okay to "generalize" an entire group of people because the majority acts a certain way. Am I wrong?

At my school I only see Asians/Indians wearing clothes with the fraternity/sorority letters, checking online most are academic/major-specific.

Dorks. :smuggrin:

Last edited:
Are you really trying to defend the difference between a stereotype and a generalization?

What I don't get is why you would freely "generalize" people involved in greek life as uninvolved with their studies when you know it doesn't hold true. Basically you're saying it's okay to "generalize" an entire group of people because the majority acts a certain way. Am I wrong?

You can't stereotype "most Greeks." You can stereotype "all Greeks."

I know one hardworking sorority girl. It's the OP, unfortunately.

Not by much...

Not by much...

Actually there is a pretty distinct difference, although I can't necessarily tell which is better. Ivy Greeks tend to be much more individualistic and unwilling to put the group ahead of their own interests (chapter meeting/rituals the night before an important midterm? Blasphemy!) whereas State School Greeks tend to be a lot more spirited and dedicated to their organisation and GLOs on campus in general, often at a personal cost w.r.t. grades, etc., but the latter obviously get a lot more out of their Greek experience. Because of those quite a lot of Ivy chapters get in trouble with their nationals, who sometimes think of their Ivy brothers/sisters as selfish and stuck-up.

It's kind of depressing actually.

Actually there is a pretty distinct difference, although I can't necessarily tell which is better. Ivy Greeks tend to be much more individualistic and unwilling to put the group ahead of their own interests (chapter meeting/rituals the night before an important midterm? Blasphemy!) whereas State School Greeks tend to be a lot more spirited and dedicated to their organisation and GLOs on campus in general, often at a personal cost w.r.t. grades, etc., but the latter obviously get a lot more out of their Greek experience. Because of those quite a lot of Ivy chapters get in trouble with their nationals, who sometimes think of their Ivy brothers/sisters as selfish and stuck-up.

It's kind of depressing actually.

Clearly I don't go to an Ivy, but I guess they are slightly different at my school. My school is known to be more Greek than most schools of similar ranking though. You do find some that are engineers/pre-med majors, and those people usually aren't as active in their houses. The majority though are still seen as caring less about academics than the rest of the student body. Most members are wealthy, but that's congruent with the student body overall. Most aren't very snobby, but some are. I have a few stories that I could share to make you see that the overall difference is underwhelming.

So a lot of people are saying that there are some outstanding students/pre-meds/ect. in greek, but that they are the exception. Is that not the case for the rest of the student body? Anyone "exceptional" is the exception. Haha. At my school, greek has a higher gpa average than the rest of the student body anyway.

What kind of school is this? Strange. Different schools have differing proportions of outstanding students as well. My first school didn't have many and at my second it's a majority.

Clearly I don't go to an Ivy, but I guess they are slightly different at my school. My school is known to be more Greek than most schools of similar ranking though. You do find some that are engineers/pre-med majors, and those people usually aren't as active in their houses. The majority though are still seen as caring less about academics than the rest of the student body. Most members are wealthy, but that's congruent with the student body overall. Most aren't very snobby, but some are. I have a few stories that I could share to make you see that the overall difference is underwhelming.

That is absolutely true; Vanderbilt is in Tennessee though, which is probably why it takes its Greek culture more seriously than many of the other top schools. Honestly a lot of Northern Greeks are really just a shadow of the Southern ones--they copy some of the partying but not really the culture at all, which makes it kind of pointless because your academic/personal interests still suffer but you don't get as cohesive of an alumni network. Nevertheless I still think that the networking aspect is attractive to a lot of students at top schools; it's possible that many of them are just as driven and motivated as the science/engineering kids but have realised that, compared to grades, their connections will be of greater use of them in politics and business.

What kind of school is this? Strange. Different schools have differing proportions of outstanding students as well. My first school didn't have many and at my second it's a majority.

Last edited:

That's exactly what I'm saying because, for the most part, the generalization holds true.