Incoming D1 interested in getting involved with research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmonster24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I will be a D1 this fall and I'm considering getting involved in a research lab at my school (currently an undergrad, will continue as D1 in the fall) this summer. I didn't apply for any research programs so my plan was to look at the research of faculty and shoot them an email asking if they need any help in their lab this summer. I figure I'll get some experience (which might help for future applications) and I will get to know some professors before school starts.

Have people done this before and maybe even gotten published (outside a research program) at dental schools? Or will it look unprofessional/do dental professors allow students to just come help out?

Any advice/answers will be incredibly helpful! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, it's possible to be published or have an article submitted for publication during dental school. It will help tremendously when you apply for residencies. I would start with figuring out whether or not you want to specialize and identify a faculty member in that field. From what I've seen, perio and prosth are good places to start.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for your reply! Does it look bad if your research experience isn't in the same speciality as the program you are applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your reply! Does it look bad if your research experience isn't in the same speciality as the program you are applying to?

I was curious about this too. I heard from a number of D4s at my school last week who had all been accepted/matched that your research should coincide with the specialty you want, but I wasn’t sure if that was a universal fact or what.

Also an incoming D1 and am currently during research over the summer. My school offers a summer research fellowship that we could apply for but I know many friends just e-mailed and called labs that they felt they'd be interested in working in and ended up being offered positions to research over the summer (albeit without the stipend). It can be done but you have to be persistent, but not annoying, and lucky! If your school is big in research, you might have more chances if you decide to shotgun across the department.

If you know what you are gunning for, why don't you just seek out research opportunities in that specialty?

Hi all! I will be a D1 this fall and I'm considering getting involved in a research lab at my school (currently an undergrad, will continue as D1 in the fall) this summer. I didn't apply for any research programs so my plan was to look at the research of faculty and shoot them an email asking if they need any help in their lab this summer. I figure I'll get some experience (which might help for future applications) and I will get to know some professors before school starts.

Have people done this before and maybe even gotten published (outside a research program) at dental schools? Or will it look unprofessional/do dental professors allow students to just come help out?

Any advice/answers will be incredibly helpful! Thanks!
Yes I emailed people I was interested in doing research under and now I'm doing it over the summer. At worst you get a polite rejection.

Oh didn't read your post properly. I assumed you meant after D1.

Last edited: