Incoming D1 - Transitioning from Quarter System to Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jilingula26

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! As the title says, I'm an incoming D1 who's worried about going from a quarter to semester system. I haven't been on a semester system since high school and I've gotten quite used to the fast pace of the quarter system. For the most part, I liked being kept on my toes and liked minimal periods of inactivity/"slow weeks". I basically just liked the constant academic grind because it's personally hard for me to get back into that same mindset after long breaks. Are there any current dental students who went through the same transition that can offer any tips/advice? I'd also appreciate any input from anyone who is very familiar with the semester system in general. Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Lol don't worry, there won't be "slow weeks" in dental schools. Whether it's quarter or semester, you will have tests and quizzes every week, sometimes multiple per week. On top of that you'll also have to keep up with your pre-clinical lab work everyday. That's more than enough to worry about.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I went from a UC with quarter system to Dental School with semester, and there isn't even a possible comparison. When you're taking 25 units a semester in dental school, first year is always rough. My biggest piece of advice I can give you is to do your best to set time aside in the week to focus on studying, and set time aside in the week to focus on practicing your sim lab skills. I went all through high school and college never really studying, and getting away with cramming, and I got my ass handed to me my first semester of dental school, so don't do what I did! We had 10 finals our finals week, and there's no way to cram for test #8 before you've taken test #2.

That said, many dental schools use a module system now, I think I would have rather done that, where you take one class at a time for 2-3 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with sb.tnh. As a rising D2 at NYU I can assure you will be busy with the many labs, quizzes, studying. Even if you get really ahead on didactics you can go and practice on your hand skills in lab. There wasn't really a slow time for me during D1 and as I literally studied all the time lol.

Thanks so much everyone for the tips and advice! I will definitely keep these things in mind once I get into the groove of things :)

Thanks so much everyone for the tips and advice! I will definitely keep these things in mind once I get into the groove of things :)

No worries! If you need any advice on D1 throughout the year feel free to message me.

Bro, if these are the things you worrying about... dental school is gonna be a long long road