Incoming freshman guide to ECs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SyrianRenegade

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so I just graduated from high school and I'm kinda searching around to try and figure out what I want to do...I'm leaning heavily towards medicine but it is by no means a final decision at this point. Either way, I want to do everything it would take, starting now, to make me an exceptional applicant if med school is ultimately my goal. So I've been poking around these forums and looking through peoples apps and it really strikes me as ridiculous how competitive med school has become these days...so basically my question is this..as an incoming college freshman what advice would you give me for ECs, clinical exposure, research, etc...what should I do this year, next year, etc? This summer I am volunteering at a hospital and with a children's reading program at one of the local elementary schools. What should I look to get involved with once school starts back up?