Incoming M1, skimmed through FA already. What next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeonmars

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a jump start on first semester...........NOT

Early April Fool's!

Actually, I'm just looking for some non-academic, medically related book recommendations. I just recently finished:

When Breath Become Air
Being Mortal
Hot Lights, Cold Steel

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Looking to get a jump start on first semester....NOT

Early April Fool's!

Actually, I'm just looking for some non-academic, medically related book recommendations. I just recently finished:

When Breath Become Air
Being Mortal
Hot Lights, Cold Steel

Stiff
The Emperor of Maladies
The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks
Checklist Manifesto

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking to get a jump start on first semester...........NOT

Early April Fool's!

When Breath Become Air
Being Mortal
Hot Lights, Cold Steel

Such. troll. so. much. bad. you. are.

Reactions: 1 user
I will dig up my list of my top ones (it's pretty long) but off the top of my head, house of god and first do no harm are my top 2

Blue Collar Blue Scrubs, Anything by Gawande, Anything by Sacks (bit dry though)

When to Rob a Bank and Freakonomics :p

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down - Anne Fadiman
also, I second House of God & Cutting for Stone

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading: Sean Costello (he's an anesthesiologist) - 'The Cartoonist'

Gaming: Tom Clancy's Ghost recon wildlands

Well done OP, you got me.:claps:

I have a confession to make: I found House of God pretty boring. Not sure I ever finished it. Not sure I'd remember it if I had. Total snoozefest, and I didn't even like the narrator enough to care what their cynical impression of medicine was.

Reactions: 3 users
Letters to a Young Doctor

The House of God (I'm on my 4th read and am laughing non-stop. Such a classic)

youll have plenty of time to read for the rest of your life. how about a sport or an instrument?

The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly, Matt McCarthy

House of God
I'm going to advise against reading House of God. I got advice to read the book and was told how good it was, but I don't think it was that great. Felt like there were many parts I was reading just to read something that was highly recommended. Some of it was interesting, but I think it's a bit overdone...

youll have plenty of time to read for the rest of your life. how about a sport or an instrument?
You know, there are those of us who enjoy reading for pleasure. As hobbies. Like playing an instrument or a sport . *Shock* *horror*

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just looking for some non-academic, medically related book recommendations.

Join audible.com, student rate, first month is a free month, download books on medical science material to inspire you:

"Emperor of Maladies" was gripping and made me aspire to be as great a physician as Dr Siddharta, The Real Doctor was a quick "read" and motivated me, Condoleeza Rice "Ordinary, Extraordinary People" was amazing - love to meet her one day, "When Breath Becomes Air" was moving, "House of God" was dark and demotivating so I abandoned it, Barack Obama's book "Dreams of My Father" was inspiring but ghost written...disappointing , "The Triple Package" by Amy Chua was on point and empowering as a minority, anything by Malcolm Gladwell particularly "Outliers", and others

Emperor of All Maladies is phenomenal. Highly recommended. His second book, The Gene, is also very good, although I haven't finished it yet. I liked "When the Air Hits Your Brain." Also, "Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives" is written by a journalist about a pediatric heart surgeon. Really good.

Oh man, you got me good OP. I was ready to come in here and thoroughly roast you. 10/10

When The Air Hits Your Brain by Frank Vertosick. Read it 3 times and still amazes me. Friggen great book

I liked A Country doctor by abraham verghese

Gene, an Intimate history. Empower was good, but I found the flow of Gene far superior and much more gripping.

You know, there are those of us who enjoy reading for pleasure. As hobbies. Like playing an instrument or a sport . *Shock* *horror*

No need to be nasty, this comment just makes you look foolish. I am pretty sure most medical students, residents, and doctors enjoy reading for pleasure. That being said, you can read at any time with little investment. You can read on the toilet, you can listen to a book on tape in your car. Playing a sport or instrument will enhance your life in other ways that reading cannot, and I think it's good to get into such a thing when you have more free time. It becomes easier down the long road to continue these things on the side. It is entirely possible to both read for fun AND enrich your life in other ways.

Anyway, I will play the game. Although be warned I don't read sappy feel good books :p

The selfish gene
The modern temper

No need to be nasty, this comment just makes you look foolish. I am pretty sure most medical students, residents, and doctors enjoy reading for pleasure. That being said, you can read at any time with little investment. You can read on the toilet, you can listen to a book on tape in your car. Playing a sport or instrument will enhance your life in other ways that reading cannot, and I think it's good to get into such a thing when you have more free time. It becomes easier down the long run. It is entirely possible to both read for fun AND enrich your life in other ways.
Lol. Nope. Not being nasty and definitely don't look foolish. You don't get to characterize disagreeing thoughts this way just so you can feel ok dismissing them.

Those of us who enjoy reading understand that having a stretch of time to do so uninterrupted by other obligations is amazing and we take advantage of that.

I have very little desire to "play a sport or an instrument" and that's perfectly ok. It's a bit odd that you would come into a thread where someone asks for recommendations for a hobby they enjoy, which they likely haven't had time to indulge in due to med app obligations, to recommend they do some other thing YOU like.

To OP, I haven't seen "Every patient tells a story" or "Final exam: a surgeons reflections on mortality" recommended. Both excellent and quick reads. The latter especially gave me some real insight into my own anxiety around the death aspect of medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. Nope. Not being nasty and definitely don't look foolish. You don't get to characterize disagreeing thoughts this way just so you can feel ok dismissing them.

Those of us who enjoy reading understand that having a stretch of time to do so uninterrupted by other obligations is amazing and we take advantage of that.

I have very little desire to "play a sport or an instrument" and that's perfectly ok. It's a bit odd that you would come into a thread where someone asks for recommendations for a hobby they enjoy, which they likely haven't had time to indulge in due to med app obligations, to recommend they do some other thing YOU like.

To OP, I haven't seen "Every patient tells a story" or "Final exam: a surgeons reflections on mortality" recommended. Both excellent and quick reads. The latter especially gave me some real insight into my own anxiety around the death aspect of medicine.
Lol please hop off your self-righteous pedestal

Lol. Nope.

You don't get to characterize disagreeing thoughts this way just so you can feel ok dismissing them.

You literally just did the exact same thing you criticized @wegh for allegedly doing. @wegh made a very valid suggestion, to which you replied nastily, infact a second example of this "dismissal" of disagreeing thoughts that you just criticized.

If you had nothing better to do than post this, go read a book, little man.

Once again hypocritical in that you just messaged me saying "really?" when I was simply defending another person who made a perfectly reasonable suggestion and was subsequently criticized for for it; for what I can only presume to be some type of insecurity of yours.

You literally just did the exact same thing you criticized @wegh for allegedly doing. @wegh made a very valid suggestion, to which you replied nastily, infact a second example of this "dismissal" of disagreeing thoughts that you just criticized.

Once again hypocritical in that you just messaged me saying "really?" when I was simply defending another person who made a perfectly reasonable suggestion and was subsequently criticized for for it; for what I can only presume to be some type of insecurity of yours.
Yeah nope. Not doing this. Deuces.

Seriously guys?!

We have to post a tone it down/ keep things professional in a book review thread?!?
Yup. There are those who can't handle differing opinions here.

OP, also recommend "the year they tried to kill me". Hilarious.

Agree with Hot lights, cold steel and his other books. Agree with Gwande and Verghese.

Some other's
Mountains Beyond Mountains
Working Stiff
An Imperfect Offering
6 Months in Sudan
Heart Matters
Called for Life (by Kent Brantly the Ebola survivor who went to Emory)
Fascinomas
The woman with a worm in her head
True Medical Detective Stories
Beating back the devil (the cdc's epidemic intelligence service)
The Anatomy of Hope
On Call and Patient by Patient (Emily Transue)

Probably no surprise my intersts lie in global health and infectious disease epidemiology

Glad to see someone else suggest Mountains Beyond Mountains. It never gets old for me!

I second Cutting for Stone. Probably one of the best fictional books I've read in a long time - it's quite gripping. Even my mom, who does not work in the healthcare field, loved it!

Being Mortal is my favorite Gawande book.

Not medical, but I love the Freakonomics books.

I'm currently reading Better for All the World, and I'm really enjoying it. It's about the history of eugenics in the US. Great if you're into medical ethics like I am!

Thanks for the suggestions everybody! These should keep me busy. I didn't anticipate this thread getting derailed like that haha.

I play several instruments and I am quite physically active as well.

Surprised people here hating on House of God, I recently listened to the audiobook and personally I loved it. While I do think it's a bit over-hyped for sure, I definitely was entertained. If you like dark humor, interesting characters and some somber drama then you will likely enjoy it.

On the other hand, I started When Breath Becomes Air and stopped about an hour into the audiobook. I'm not sure how to put it into words what was wrong with it, it just seemed so over the top, sort of hoity toity making it sound like the writer was some sort of super hero.. If someone tells me it gets better I may go back to it. Maybe I should have seen it coming though with such a (IMO) gag-inducing title.

+1 also for the Emperor of All Maladies. I'm only a few chapters in but so far it's a good/ interesting read.

I also can't believe people are saying "don't read." :rofl: Some people actually enjoy reading for pleasure! And just because they spend some of their free time reading doesn't mean they aren't also doing other things with their free time (I personally workout a staggering 12 hours a week on average!) And to think in other threads everyone suggest they spend all their free time just drinking and playing video games.. (Don't get me wrong I'm doing those too, but come on SDN.)

Avid gamer here (also non-trad who has worked a professional job and gone to school full time) - of everything on the list (reading, gaming, and working out), playing video games is the easiest to fit in when you are busy/whenever. You can always just pick up the controller and play a game or two. Having the time for uninterrupted reading, especially when you haven't burnt yourself out studying, is by far the hardest thing to fit into a schedule. Which do you think will be harder in the future to get joy out of - coming home being mentally exhausted from med school/residency and reading, on top of staying on top of your journal readings, or coming home and playing vids. Working out is also easier to fit in and doesn't require mental power, so even on my most draining days I can hop on my bike/trainer for an hour or whatever workout I have planned

Just my opinion as someone with perspective on being in school and working 80+ hours a week.

Surprised people here hating on House of God, I recently listened to the audiobook and personally I loved it. While I do think it's a bit over-hyped for sure, I definitely was entertained. If you like dark humor, interesting characters and some somber drama then you will likely enjoy it.

On the other hand, I started When Breath Becomes Air and stopped about an hour into the audiobook. I'm not sure how to put it into words what was wrong with it, it just seemed so over the top, sort of hoity toity making it sound like the writer was some sort of super hero.. If someone tells me it gets better I may go back to it. Maybe I should have seen it coming though with such a (IMO) gag-inducing title.

+1 also for the Emperor of All Maladies. I'm only a few chapters in but so far it's a good/ interesting read.
Breath Becomes Air was...alright. It felt to me the whole time as if the author was writing the book to prove how amazing he could have been if it weren't for that dang cancer. Which is fine, but I didn't find it as meaningful as popular report would have lead me to believe.

I just didn't find House of God to have interesting characters or any real plot.