Incoming MS1 gunning for Ortho w/ low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutrDoc22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many other male MS1s, I am entering medical school with a high interest in Orthopedic Surgery. Ortho was the first shadowing experience I had in high school and I've basically been in love with it ever since. Unfortunately, it happens to be one of the more competitive residencies to match with. For what ever reason, despite having a stellar GPA in college, I had a low MCAT score slightly above the 50th percentile on my one and only try. I was fortunate enough to still be accepted to various MD programs and even matriculate to my number one medical school. That being said, I feel like I have an uphill battle coming up, where I need to translate that 50-ish MCAT percentile (which is probably 10th percentile for matriculated med students) to at least a 90th percentile Step score. I know the Step score will have more to do with how hard I work so I wont ask for advice there (feel free to give some if you'd like). However, I'm seeking advice on the extracurriculars necessary to match ortho. I don't want to overstretch myself so much that I don't give my studies their proper time but things like research, being a leader of the interest group, class president, volunteering etc., what do you guys personally think I should look into doing the minute I step on campus?

P.S. Im open to other specialties as well and don't want to shut them out, but ortho is what i'm gunning for

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much research, who you know and AOA seems to be the keys to success besides STEP score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think the research has to be in the same field of interest?

Not necessarily. But if you know you are interested in Ortho now then I would try to find Ortho research.

That said, I wouldn't stress too much about the MCAT thing. Med School is very much a new start in that way. While there is that whole MCAT/Step correlation thing, its not set in stone and you are not a statistic. I was an average applicant and then have been top 10-25% of our class depending on the test. I have a friend who had a 31 MCAT (below our class average) and was consistently in the top 5% grades wise and was on track to score 250+ on STEP (we are still waiting on scores). I felt much more comfortable with the materials on Step than the MCAT. Primarily because I learned how to study much more effectively. Also because the concepts just made more sense to me than many of the concepts on the MCAT. Basic sciences just don't click for me that way.

1st year of med school is really about learning how to study. Don't be afraid to change what you do. I went from all handwritten notes and cramming flash cards to computer notes, anki, and lots of practice Qs. Which is all miles different from undergrad which was the cramp/dump cycle. Approach it like a job and tinker with your methods until you find what works best.

Reactions: 6 users
Not necessarily. But if you know you are interested in Ortho now then I would try to find Ortho research.

That said, I wouldn't stress too much about the MCAT thing. Med School is very much a new start in that way. While there is that whole MCAT/Step correlation thing, its not set in stone and you are not a statistic. I was an average applicant and then have been top 10-25% of our class depending on the test. I have a friend who had a 31 MCAT (below our class average) and was consistently in the top 5% grades wise and was on track to score 250+ on STEP (we are still waiting on scores). I felt much more comfortable with the materials on Step than the MCAT. Primarily because I learned how to study much more effectively. Also because the concepts just made more sense to me than many of the concepts on the MCAT. Basic sciences just don't click for me that way.

1st year of med school is really about learning how to study. Don't be afraid to change what you do. I went from all handwritten notes and cramming flash cards to computer notes, anki, and lots of practice Qs. Which is all miles different from undergrad which was the cramp/dump cycle. Approach it like a job and tinker with your methods until you find what works best.

I really appreciate your input, especially about the whole MCAT/step thing. Good thing is the school I'm going to is pass/fail so hopefully that gives me a little room to experiment with studying methods for the first few months

Lol the MCAT in medical school is analogous to your SAT score once in college...it virtually means nothing anymore. You're starting medical school- it's a new slate...just work hard and do your best.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Steps to ortho: get some kind of research anywhere, pass your pre-clinical courses, nail Step, grab some beneficial away rotations/electives, profit

Steps to ortho: get some kind of research anywhere, pass your pre-clinical courses, nail Step, grab some beneficial away rotations/electives, profit
^This... and it applies for pretty much all the competitive specialties....

^This... and it applies for pretty much all the competitive specialties....

Seriously, it's a lot less of a mystery than most people think. Do X,Y,Z, rank your spots well (as in don't be an idiot and rank impossible programs), and you'll get in somewhere.

skills required for mcat are completely different than those for step 1 or med school in general
didn't get into med school 1st time
below the mean of my school's avg mcat (a random, no name school)
99th percentile step 1
you can do it if I did. just work really hard every day during preclinicals.

skills required for mcat are completely different than those for step 1 or med school in general
didn't get into med school 1st time
below the mean of my school's avg mcat (a random, no name school)
99th percentile step 1
you can do it if I did. just work really hard every day during preclinicals.

Similar story here. My MCAT score was basically the bare minimum needed for MD admission. State med school. Worked really hard for step 1 and I matched. Along with research, clinical performance, step 2 performance, subIs/away rotations. It's 100% hard work. The MCAT has very little predictive value in med school and I personally found it to be WAY easier to improve my step 1 score than my MCAT score :shrug: