Incoming Scholl students...where do plan on living?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone as crazy as I am to live in Wisconsin and make the commute to Waukegan? We are living in Kenosha, WI and rumor has it that it's only about a 20 minute commute (kinda feels like a gamble at the moment). Cost of living MAY be less where we are staying. We have a pretty-darned nice town-house style apartment (3 bed) in a decent part of town and are paying just $985 in rent. I don't know what the chances are...but if anyone else is up here I'd happily car-pool or become your bestest "travel-buddy" in taking the train/bus!

Rumor has it that RFU will pick you up at the train station.

"Bawal makasimangot!"

Ben

Its not rumor! RFU shuttle does pick up students from lake bluff student. So you will have no problems. Wow 3 bdroom townhouse for $985. thats a good deal.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a bunch of us that live in Kenosha---it's great to live AWAY from the school. And the commute is cake. It really is the best-kept secret as far as where to live (especially if you have a family).

There's a bunch of us that live in Kenosha---it's great to live AWAY from the school. And the commute is cake. It really is the best-kept secret as far as where to live (especially if you have a family).

We thought about Kenosha. but we decided on Gurnee b/c it was closer to my husband's new job.

Members don't see this ad :)

The secret is out!
Do you do the driving yourself or do you take the buses/trains? We are living in Kenosha Commons on 60th and it's only 3 mi or so to the trains...I don't know if it would be better to drive myself or spend the 15 minutes studying on a train (haha!).

We thought about Kenosha. but we decided on Gurnee b/c it was closer to my husband's new job.

The husband's job is a great "cover," but we all know the real reason is the nearby 6 flags! :D
Ben

The secret is out!
Do you do the driving yourself or do you take the buses/trains? We are living in Kenosha Commons on 60th and it's only 3 mi or so to the trains...I don't know if it would be better to drive myself or spend the 15 minutes studying on a train (haha!).

believe me that 15 min train ride is 10000 times better than driving. coz u have no idea how bad the traffic builds up on highway-94 during morning hrs once u enter illinois. from that tollway till downtown chicago. its a big mess. if i was staying anywhere near the trainline. i wud never ever drive to school in morning and evening hrs. especially mondays and fridays its horrible. I swear i once saw a traffic jam of cars nearly 3 miles long. i was on the opposite side and i was suprised:laugh:. Wisconsin is a different story. i love it. Even if you have to do any major shopping, consider milwaukee instead of chicago. the highways are always quiet and its so calm and peacefull.

Well I usually drive/carpool from Kenosha. I just take Green Bay all the way down--a straight shot that usually takes 35 to 40 minutes---an hour on really bad days I guess, but that's kinda rare. I looked into the trains a long time ago and it didn't seem to really save that much money (or time) in the long run (vs. carpooling)--Of course with gas the way it is now it probably is the way to go (the trains that is), but now I'm conditioned to just drive there I guess. Later on this year when I start rotations in downtown Chicago I'm sure I'll use the train though. There's 5 of us that I know of that live in Kenosha, and we all drive/carpool...

driving down from zion, how long do you think that will take?
the property im looking at is 11.8 miles from school:scared::scared:

For anyone living on campus (or for those of you who have in the past for that matter) when setting up cable TV I had heard we usually go through Comcast. Upon contacting them, though, I had a small problem. They couldn't locate my address in the database! Basically, I tried giving them both variations of the address we got and they cannot find either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is anyone going through a different cable company? Thanks!

For anyone living on campus (or for those of you who have in the past for that matter) when setting up cable TV I had heard we usually go through Comcast. Upon contacting them, though, I had a small problem. They couldn't locate my address in the database! Basically, I tried giving them both variations of the address we got and they cannot find either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is anyone going through a different cable company? Thanks!

The student housing handbook states that Satellite Services (aka. DirectTV) is the only television provider that services student housing. There are directions at:

http://66.99.255.20/housing/Generalapartmentinformation.cfm#Television

Also, I am having the same problem with ComEd, the company that we need to establish an account with for our electricity. Has anyone set this up yet??

The husband's job is a great "cover," but we all know the real reason is the nearby 6 flags! :D
Ben

unfortunately i wish that was true. i know i will be regretting living near Six Flags after the 80th time being asked by my kids if they can go. :eek:

I moved most of my junk in yesterday. I called ComEd and waitied on hold for proabbly 3-4 minutes, but it only took another 2 minutes to set up. It was pretty cake, and I guess it's the responsibility of the person dwelling in the 'A' apartment if you're in a shared apt like I am. As long as the local stations carry Cubs games, I have no intention of getting satelite TV :cool:

The student housing handbook states that Satellite Services (aka. DirectTV) is the only television provider that services student housing. There are directions at:

http://66.99.255.20/housing/Generalapartmentinformation.cfm#Television

Also, I am having the same problem with ComEd, the company that we need to establish an account with for our electricity. Has anyone set this up yet??

Thanks Tiggles! I actually set electricity up online with little problem - have you tried it that way yet?

Thanks Tiggles! I actually set electricity up online with little problem - have you tried it that way yet?

What address did you use, because they say they can't find:

#### University Circle
North Chicago, IL 60064

For those living in apartments, what are you doing next summer? Last day of school is 5/16/08. I'm not sure if I should have my lease end by 6/1/08. I can move back to my parents place for 2 months I suppose, so just wondering what the rest of you are plan on doing.

thanks!

What address did you use, because they say they can't find:

#### University Circle
North Chicago, IL 60064

I actually did use that format exactly. Did you go to whitefence.com? My roommate actually clued me into this site. You can set up your electricity through ComEd on here. I did without a problem. Apparently, though, we need to fill out a form for Student Housing to let them know that we have established ourselves with ComEd in order to receive our mailbox key (not sure if you've moved in yet or not). Hope this info helps!

I actually did use that format exactly. Did you go to whitefence.com? My roommate actually clued me into this site. You can set up your electricity through ComEd on here. I did without a problem. Apparently, though, we need to fill out a form for Student Housing to let them know that we have established ourselves with ComEd in order to receive our mailbox key (not sure if you've moved in yet or not). Hope this info helps!

I tried whitefence.com and it worked great, thanks for your help. I'm currently driving halfway across the country to get to Chicago so I'm not quite moved in yet, but thanks for the head's up on letting them know so i can get my mail key. :)

For those living in apartments, what are you doing next summer? Last day of school is 5/16/08. I'm not sure if I should have my lease end by 6/1/08. I can move back to my parents place for 2 months I suppose, so just wondering what the rest of you are plan on doing.

thanks!

i'll will still be in my apt. i signed a 12 month lease so it ends July 31, 2008. i have a husband so the rent is not an issue for me. also, if we are not taking classes over the summer, i plan to maybe work part-time to make some extra money. i will see what PRN/per diem positions are out there now and get my foot in the door. then when summer starts i can increase my hours.

Anyone in student housing that might be able to loan me a telephone cable for about an hour? I guess they block the port that my tivo needs to connect to to set up (BOO! :mad:)

PM me if I can borrow one :D