incomplete applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkaDOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know submitting early = rule of thumb but does that mean my application must be complete AND early?

Many schools have specified that you don't have to have your OAT scores to apply but what if you do not have your LORs but everything else?

I'm in a sticky LOR situation - I'm hesitate to just chose my 80%+ courses and ask those professors for LOR because they don't really know me and I don't feel like I've had the oppurtunity to get very close with science professors as of yet (My uni's sci classes tend to be kinda enormous but now that i'm in 4th year they'll be much smaller). I plan on getting in lots of face time with my professors during 4th year but due to this shoudl I wait and apply during 2013?!

GPA=3.5 w/upward tend, will be doing my OAT Early august, applying from a Canadian School.

Members don't see this ad.

I know submitting early = rule of thumb but does that mean my application must be complete AND early?

Many schools have specified that you don't have to have your OAT scores to apply but what if you do not have your LORs but everything else?

I'm in a sticky LOR situation - I'm hesitate to just chose my 80%+ courses and ask those professors for LOR because they don't really know me and I don't feel like I've had the oppurtunity to get very close with science professors as of yet (My uni's sci classes tend to be kinda enormous but now that i'm in 4th year they'll be much smaller). I plan on getting in lots of face time with my professors during 4th year but due to this shoudl I wait and apply during 2013?!

GPA=3.5 w/upward tend, will be doing my OAT Early august, applying from a Canadian School.

I'm confused: are you a first-year under-grad.?

If your applying to Canadian schools, i have no idea.

If your applying for American schools, i think you should not wait an entire year of your life to apply. I would apply this year. As for your LOR they need to be filled in on OPTOMCAS when you submit it but they dont have to be recieved yet. By this I mean that you have to know who your getting them from when you submit it to OPTOMCAS (but it is not nessesary that they have been written yet). I would just do your best to get letters from people and get it turned in.

You have a good gpa and if you do well on your oat, I don't think letters will be drastically important. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused: are you a first-year under-grad.?

Nooo, I'm starting my 4th year this coming September.

Yeah, I mean I am not totally opposed to waiting a year to apply if I thought it was completely necessary but to wait an entire year for the sake of one LOR is kind of annoying.

Yeah, I mean I am not totally opposed to waiting a year to apply if I thought it was completely necessary but to wait an entire year for the sake of one LOR is kind of annoying.

Just think of it this way. You're sacrificing 1 year of salary as an OD if you can't track down a LOR and have to delay for a year. So...that should light a fire under ya and help get through any awkward moments. LORs were obnoxious to try to obtain.

Then, my suggestion is, no, you sure as hell should not delay your application by a year just because of a reccomendation-letter. Get one that's not so meaningful, if you have to (I'm not sure how much weight admissions committees really place on these things, anyway), but don't put matters off because of something so trivial.

Yes, you don't want to end up taking a gap year like me. I am bored as heck working as an ophthalmic technician with a bunch of high school graduates around me :X I guess one positive is that I will be more motivated to do well in optometry school.

Yes, you don't want to end up taking a gap year like me. I am bored as heck working as an ophthalmic technician with a bunch of high school graduates around me :X I guess one positive is that I will be more motivated to do well in optometry school.

Why did you take the year off?