inconsistency between Qbank and USMLE world scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tastebuds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I pull in the 70s in Qbank and upper 50s and some 60s and 70s in USMLE world....can anyone shed some light on why my scores are not consistent between the 2 banks?

Members don't see this ad.

I pull in the 70s in Qbank and upper 50s and some 60s and 70s in USMLE world....can anyone shed some light on why my scores are not consistent between the 2 banks?

They are not the same level of difficulty and don't have identical coverage. Worry less about the actual scores and more about learning what's in each bank. You will usually get more out of the explanations of what you get wrong than right, anyhow.

They are not the same level of difficulty and don't have identical coverage. Worry less about the actual scores and more about learning what's in each bank. You will usually get more out of the explanations of what you get wrong than right, anyhow.

Yup, the ones you get wrong really stick in your head...so if you aren't scoring as high as you'd like, keep telling yourself that you are getting more out of it :D

-tx

^^Thats true because if I get it wrong I am much more likely to focus on the explanation that if i were to get it right where I may just move on.

I am concerned b/c my UWorld scores fluctuate so much from the 50-80% range. Of course when I am truly focused on doing the questions and not with the TV on in the background I tend to do better.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was in the same situation - the bottom line is that Qbank is easy (and not representative of the real exam) while USMLEWorld is hard (and a lot more representative of the real exam).

I was in the same situation - the bottom line is that Qbank is easy (and not representative of the real exam) while USMLEWorld is hard (and a lot more representative of the real exam).

Lol, my experience was the opposite. I thought UW was considerably easier than QBank. QBank was too detailed, especially in anatomy --- I think I averaged like 45% in QBank anatomy. :oops:

OP: don't worry too much about your scores --- just learn as much as you can from the questions you get wrong. Question banks are best used as a learning tool, not as predictors of your score. :thumbup:

Another question......I took NMBE 1 before studying...and didnt do well....but was thinking of taking NMBE 2 now after a month of studying. I am kind of stressed out because if my scores dont go up....I will lose all motivation. Do you guys recommend taking form 2 regardless of how I feel about it....or dont take it. I guess I am asking whether its helpful to take the NMBEs (I know it helps you figure out where you are in the studying process). Honestly, I am not planning on pushing my exam back. As you can see.....Im in a bind:(

^^ IF i were you I would take it b/c it seems like you are discouraged about your first score. You will probably be pleased to see that the studying has paid off. On a side note i felt as if each of the NBMEs tested certains more heavily than others as in form 4 seemed to be biochem heavy and i think 2 was pharm heavy.