Incorporating Acupuncture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UseUrHeadFred

Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My Family Doc is also a proficient acupuncturist. While I am an eternal skeptic, I let him do it for some neck pain I had once and I'll be damned if it didn't work. Now, having worked with him several times, it's obvious that many people receive relief from the procedure - even Geriatric patients.

I don't buy the mystical explaination they provide about why it works, but that's not the point.

I was wondering if any of you people have had experience with this subject, and if it's common in FP.
 
dood... pressure points are awesome stuff... im leery of acuPUNCTURE because you are sticking needles into nerves which to me spells irreputable damage. i do not honestly know enough about it to say that for a fact, but pressure points are either nerves or veins, and in accupunc, you are puncturing them. they must not be causeing too much damage since ppl come back sometimes for the same problems after a while, which would mean either the area was not damaged or it healed... either way it seems somewhat questionable and id personally like to understand it quite a bit better before practicing it... just my thoughts...
 
I work with an fp/sports medicine doc who is also a certified accupuncturist. he utilizes it quite frequently with chronic pain pts with great success.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much and how long is such training?

I would like to do this in my practice. When I visited japan, I med a doc. who did this with great success.

EH.
 
A Formal Accupuncture Degree Program( Masters Oriental Medicine) Is 3 Years. As An Md/do There Is A Cme At Ucla That Involves Watching Videos And Limited Clinical Time That Can Be Done In A Year While Working Full Time. Involves A Few Weekends In La And A Lot Of Self Directed Study.
 
I used to use acupuncture a lot 30 years ago. It really worked a lot of the time, at least for my family practice patient population. Altho not an answer to all the world's problems, it's really something. It breaks all the rules you learn in med school.
Cheers, Gil B.
http://www.TenSecondMedicalRecord.com
 
Gil B said:
I used to use acupuncture a lot 30 years ago. It really worked a lot of the time, at least for my family practice patient population. Altho not an answer to all the world's problems, it's really something. It breaks all the rules you learn in med school.
Cheers, Gil B.
http://www.TenSecondMedicalRecord.com


As long as it puts cash in my pockets, I'm a fan. I'm going into Radiology and I might start doing it.
 
Acupuncture is great. However, the the big catch is that almost no insurance companies will reimburse for it (Workman's Comp will occasionally). Patients will not pay for it out of pocket unless you are in a relatively affluent area (ie, low Medicaid poplulation).