Increased Estrogen in Klinefelter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stop2stop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've looked up past threads but haven't been able to get a great handle on this. In Klinefelter we lose sertoli cells, lose leydig cells, and both LH and FSH go up. How though does this increased LH then lead to an increased estrogen? Wouldn't LH normally increase the androgen level? Is it somehow is this case causing an increase in aromatization?

Thanks so much for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Fibrosed Seminiferous tubules → azoospermia, ↓ inhibin (no Sertoli cells) leads to ↑ FSH.

Prominent Leydig cells & ↑ FSH → ↑ aromatase synthesis → ↑ conversion of testosterone to estrogen.

Feminization due to testosterone conversion into estrogen by aromatase in Leydig cells & adipose.

Whatever little testosterone is produced, it does not interact with androgen receptors → feminization.
Leydig cells become the prominent cell in testes because of atrophy of Seminiferous tubules.

Testosterone does not increase (it decreases) but it does not interact with androgen receptors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Transposony raises a good point about Leydig cells doing the aromatization in 47XXY. Because normally Sertoli cells do the bulk of it.

(And I just noticed the above thread that's linked in here is when I asked this same question four years ago ;-) )

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much all, had no idea about the aromatization occurring in Leydig cells. Really clears things up. Thanks again!