Increased Research Hours, WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZaZa24

Reaction score
Hello all. This is an updated version of my WAMC that I posted about a week ago because I recently was offered summer funding(beginning May 28th) to continue my research which will drastically increase the amount of research I’ll be able to report/project with confidence. If a second post is against forum rules, my apologies.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS: 3.94, 3.97 respectively

2. MCAT 519 (130, 130, 131, 128)

3. WI resident

4. Race: White

5. Small(not main campus) state school

6. Clinical Experience: Hospital Volunteer (~150 hours/ 3 years, making sure patients receiving infusions are comfortable with snacks, drinks, blankets, conversation, games and so on)

7. Research experience and productivity: Started this semester, have my own project, it’s more of a literature review and data analysis project than a wet lab, if that matters I have received a SURP award funding my work on this project for the summer (~100 hours upon application/1 semester+400 hours projected/summer, 500 hours total)

8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~50 hours primarily family practice but includes some hours in emergency medicine, OB/GYN, internal medicine and anesthesiology

9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~400 hours/3 years as a crisis counselor with Crisis Text Line, an international, nonprofit mental health hotline.

10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) - TA for General Biology Lecture Courses (~270 hours/3 semesters), TA for chemistry laboratory (~150 hours/1 semester), studied abroad in Western Europe

11. Relevant honors or awards: General Chemistry Award for excellence in the courses( given to 5 out of ~100 students), full tuition+fees+books scholarship(awarded based on high school achievement so I’m not sure if it should be included)

12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: N/A

Current School List

I’d like to apply to approximately 15 schools, please help me eliminate a few of these schools and/or make substitutions. I’d prefer to apply to programs with an MD/MPH program and programs that are in urban areas. I would also like to avoid medical schools with religious affiliation.

1. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health

2. University of Minnesota Medical School( I know it’s out of state but I have strong ties, my father lives in Minnesota, I am doing my undergrad in Minnesota, I grew up/my mom lives on a border town, and I’d like to practice in the Twin Cities area.)

3. New York University School of Medicine

4. Boston University School of Medicine

5. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

6. Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

7. Weill Cornell Medicine

8. Albert Einstein College of Medicine

9. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences

10. Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University

11. Drexel University College of Medicine

12. Medical College of Wisconsin

13. Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania

14. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

15. Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

16. Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

17. Yale School of Medicine

18. Albany Medical College

19. Harvard Medical School

20. Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

21. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University

22. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center

23. Tufts University School of Medicine

24. University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.