Increased residency applications this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocoE21

Reaction score
MS4 applying neurology right now. I know programs are having a hard time deciding which applicants are serious applicants for their specific program (i.e. which students will actually rank their program). With increased applications this year since we don’t have to pay travel expenses for interviewing, this is definitely going to be a problem for each program. So I want to add a kind of preface paragraph above my personal statement for each of the programs (top 5 +/-) that I actually want to match at. Something along the lines of “before I start my personal statement I wanted to acknowledge the fact that programs are having a harder time this year figuring out which applicants are serious about their program. That being said, the reason why are want to go to X program is because... I plan on talking about my family ties, growing up in the same area as the program, my whole family living there, etc... thank you for taking this into consideration when reviewing my application. Now I will move on to speaking about my pathway to the field of neurology” then go to the next paragraph and use my basic personal statement.

What do you think about this? Is this a bad idea, why, or is this fine? Would you word it differently or maybe format differently? Move it to the end of my personal statement or something?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I personalized my statement for one program that was my top choice. I feel like it would be fine. Some neuro PDs in the webinars recommended doing this to show your interest/ties. They cautioned doing this for too many programs though.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing doing the same. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user