Increasing MCAT vs disadvantage of taking in August??!!??!?!

Started by BPShug
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BPShug

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, this is my first post:

I have a 3.9 from a top 25 undergraduate school, in addition to very good extracurricular activities, but I only scored a 30 on the MCAT because I was not feeling well during the exam. I am sure I could score over a 35 if I retook the exam, but is it worth it (I am trying to get into a few of the most competitive schools)? Would the medical schools wait to review my application until the second scores were in? And if so, would this really put me at so much of a disadvantage compared to them reviewing my application earlier that it would offset a higher MCAT score? I have heard that many schools use GPA/MCAT formulas in initial screening, and I would hate to not even be given a chance to display four years of work because of a horrible few hours during the MCAT. I have already submitted the AMCAS application. Thanks
 
Even if schools use a formula for screening, you would surely pass the screening with a 3.9 and an MCAT of 30.
 
Is the score balanced? If so, I think you are fine and don't need the stress of taking it again. If it is not balanced and you have like below an 8 in any of the sections, you might think of taking it again. Otherwise, at least you applied early. Good luck!