Should I disclose that I plan on taking another MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dietcokefan

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the MCAT in June and just got results back. I got a 506. The score is evenly distributed and every section is either a 126 or above. I was surprised at this result because it was at the low end of my FLs. I had been averaging a 510 and scored a 516 on FL6 the week before my exam. I decided to go ahead and book another date to test in September. The result from that test will be released October 6. I think I am capable of getting over a 510 if I get a test that works well for me. I think I got a test version that didn't test my strengths. Retaking is a gamble, though.

I am verified and can go ahead and send my primary to schools. I have submitted to 10 so far and realized that I can choose to update the primary to show that I am testing again. Before I add any more schools, I was wondering if I should select yes to that and share my upcoming test date?

My worry about doing that is that it'll put me behind in the cycle and I might not get sent secondaries until October 6. With my current score now I'm pretty sure I pass all the screening criteria for the MCAT but my score is at the lower end of the spectrum for admitted students. I don't have an advisor to chat with because it's summer so I really don't know what to do in this situation. Should I send my primary to more schools with the note that I am taking another MCAT or just don't tell them? Also, for the ones I sent my secondaries to already, should I tell them I am expecting a new score in October?

Thank you very much for reading and I appreciate any feedback that anyone can give me! For reference, my BCPM GPA is a 3.58 and cumulative is a 3.81. I'm from the southeast and a traditional applicant. I'm mainly applying to southeastern schools and my app does have a focus on rural medicine.
 
A future test date can affect how some schools handle your application, and an October score release means you would be entering the later part of the application cycle. The tradeoff is that a higher MCAT score could strengthen the academic side of your application, but waiting also means losing some time in a rolling admissions process where timing can play a role. Whether that balance is worth it depends on your school list and how much the potential score increase would actually improve your application.
 
@wysdoc @Mr.Smile12 @LizzyM @Goro I don't know if any of you are allowed to give me guidance in this situation but I would love y'all's opinions! I am definitely not as knowledgeable as y'all are and even googling this situation didn't really help me. I can also give more info about my app if necessary but this is more of a general question and may help other students who are going through a similar dilemma. Thank you once again!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@wysdoc @Mr.Smile12 @LizzyM @Goro I don't know if any of you are allowed to give me guidance in this situation but I would love y'all's opinions! I am definitely not as knowledgeable as y'all are and even googling this situation didn't really help me. I can also give more info about my app if necessary but this is more of a general question and may help other students who are going through a similar dilemma. Thank you once again!
If you are CERTAIN you will retake you should disclose.
Once you get your new score send a brief email to each school letting them know your new score is available.
Otherwise they will make decisions on you based on your present score.