incrediblexman: need guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in English in 1987. I was considering medical school and took all of the basics plus a number of biology electives. My grades fluctuated between A's and F's, depending on my attendance. I was immature, irresponsible, and spent too much time playing rock music. Now 37, I have built a successful career in programming, but have realized that I really did/do want to be a physician (which I believe suits my temperment,talents, values, and goals). I can't enter any Post-Bacc programs because I've taken the classes before (I've checked). I have an unique ability to master complex material rather quickly, but also tend to take on more work than a sane person should (if they want a balanced life).
I need some perspective. Is there ANYTHING I can do that would enable me to apply next year? Presently, I'm still working, but I could presumably stop either in the fall or the spring to devote more time to study and medical related volunteering.

I need to make decisions about courses (day or evening) to take so I have to decide if one year prep is out of the question or not. Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like it's going to be tough. What was your overall gpa? Are you going to be able to master MCAT topics in a year? This would be hard to do even if you were an A student, but with your grades, it may be even harder.
Before you do anything, I suggest getting an MCAT prep book, working through the topics and doing some test questions. If you can do very well on these and you can get a great MCAT, it may be worth a shot.