Independent Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Up40Love

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you elect to do an independent study in a course? And is it too late in the semester to declare an independent study with a prof?

Thanks so much! :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Up40Love said:
How do you elect to do an independent study in a course? And is it too late in the semester to declare an independent study with a prof?

Thanks so much! :) :)

Oh mercy!!! Again?? Make your first lessons as a supposedly ignorant freshman be these: 1.) read the syllabus (re: your other post) 2.) read your school catalogue -- as someone pointed out in your "dilemma" post, you are asking the wrong people these questions. They pertain specifically to your school -- that's where you should be looking.

Having said that -- I did quite a bit of independent study and typically (if it's a novel topic not offered in a class) you will need to be a Junior or a Senior. If it is a course already offered as independent study, then you sign up for it just like you would any other class but you have to be good about completing assignments on time and structuring yourself. There will be no one there to offer you a get out of jail free card when you fail to do what is required of you if you decide to take a class via independent study. Be ye warned.

MedicineBird said:
Oh mercy!!! Again?? Make your first lessons as a supposedly ignorant freshman be these: 1.) read the syllabus (re: your other post) 2.) read your school catalogue -- as someone pointed out in your "dilemma" post, you are asking the wrong people these questions. They pertain specifically to your school -- that's where you should be looking.

Having said that -- I did quite a bit of independent study and typically (if it's a novel topic not offered in a class) you will need to be a Junior or a Senior. If it is a course already offered as independent study, then you sign up for it just like you would any other class but you have to be good about completing assignments on time and structuring yourself. There will be no one there to offer you a get out of jail free card when you fail to do what is required of you if you decide to take a class via independent study. Be ye warned.

I tried to be diplomatic to your response on the other thread, since I consider myself a nice person. But I just can't anymore. In all honesty, you are a real a$$hole. I just asked a question and if you thought that it was a stupid question, then you simply shouldn't have answered. But once again, you answered simply to assert your alleged superiority and be condescending in attempt to feel better about yourself. I may have made my mistakes, but I thank god that I am nothing like you. And oh yeah, I got a 3.85 GPA my first semester (at a top 15 undergrad) so I can't be a complete idiot. But thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Up40Love said:
if you thought that it was a stupid question, then you simply shouldn't have answered.

Notice how no one else has answered? Yeah...

That is all.

Up40Love said:
I tried to be diplomatic to your response on the other thread, since I consider myself a nice person. But I just can't anymore. In all honesty, you are a real a$$hole. I just asked a question and if you thought that it was a stupid question, then you simply shouldn't have answered. But once again, you answered simply to assert your alleged superiority and be condescending in attempt to feel better about yourself. I may have made my mistakes, but I thank god that I am nothing like you. And oh yeah, I got a 3.85 GPA my first semester (at a top 15 undergrad) so I can't be a complete idiot. But thanks.

Wow -- looks like you're having trouble reading again. 1.) I didn't say it was a stupid question 2.) I did tell you how it works. READ!!! I noticed that people were reading your post and deciding not to answer so despite your misplaced pissy ingratitude - you're welcome. If you don't want our advice or insight then don't ask. Get the picture here - you are in a forum full of overachievers and who have put a lot of hard work (as surely you will too) into getting to the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not saying we are without flaw but I would wager that the majority of us step up to the plate when we make a mistake. It's a trait a physician has to have. My point earlier was that excusing your failures (blaming them on being a Freshman) and taking the easy way out won't get you where you say you want to go. Oh and another tid bit of advice -- don't brag about a 3.85 (especially during your 1st semester)-- there are a ton of brilliant folks here who would scoff at that.

MedicineBird said:
Wow -- looks like you're having trouble reading again. 1.) I didn't say it was a stupid question 2.) I did tell you how it works. READ!!! I noticed that people were reading your post and deciding not to answer so despite your misplaced pissy ingratitude - you're welcome. If you don't want our advice or insight then don't ask. Get the picture here - you are in a forum full of overachievers and who have put a lot of hard work (as surely you will too) into getting to the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not saying we are without flaw but I would wager that the majority of us step up to the plate when we make a mistake. It's a trait a physician has to have. My point earlier was that excusing your failures (blaming them on being a Freshman) and taking the easy way out won't get you where you say you want to go. Oh and another tid bit of advice -- don't brag about a 3.85 (especially during your 1st semester)-- there are a ton of brilliant folks here who would scoff at that.

What you talking about? I did step up to the plate by accepting that it was my fault. I made a mistake and I am trying to remedy it. And why do you care? Seriously, does bashing me make you feel better about yourself? Also, I don't care if people here would scoff at my GPA because I am proud of it, especially given the fact that I go to a top undergrad notoriously known for its grade deflation and very, very few have higher GPA's.

-up40

Up40Love said:
What you talking about? I did step up to the plate by accepting that it was my fault. I made a mistake and I am trying to remedy it. And why do you care? Seriously, does bashing me make you feel better about yourself? Also, I don't care if people here would scoff at my GPA because I am proud of it, especially given the fact that I go to a top undergrad notoriously known for its grade deflation and very, very few have higher GPA's.

-up40

As I begin I wonder why I am even bothering....**sigh** You are trying to remedy your "mistake" by having your prof lie about you being sick. but y'know what? whatever. Before you go calling me an a$$hole perhaps you should examine your own character. At least you have your 1st semester GPA to be proud of, right? :rolleyes: I'm not bashing you -- I'm telling you the truth -- you just don't want to hear it. So like I said -- whatever. Good luck with your independent study should you choose to pursue it.

MedicineBird said:
As I begin I wonder why I am even bothering....**sigh** You are trying to remedy your "mistake" by having your prof lie about you being sick. but y'know what? whatever. Before you go calling me an a$$hole perhaps you should examine your own character. At least you have your 1st semester GPA to be proud of, right? :rolleyes: I'm not bashing you -- I'm telling you the truth -- you just don't want to hear it. So like I said -- whatever. Good luck with your independent study should you choose to pursue it.

Actually I did not make my prof lie about it, she insisted herself because she knows that I am not a slacker and got A's on all the papers. And I don't need you to judge my character because I know that I am a good person. And the fact that you are so condescending just shows that you are either a real a$$hole or just a really, really bitter person.

Anyway, whatever, I got a ton of reading to do.

-up40

Up40Love said:
you are either a real a$$hole or just a really, really bitter person.

nope -- just someone who expects a grown up to act like one.

Up40Love said:
Anyway, whatever, I got a ton of reading to do.

hahahaha!! I love ironic humor. :laugh: :laugh: