India 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

data

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
bangalore7lg.jpg

banglore

calcutta4fy.jpg

calcutta

cochin2yq.jpg

cochin

delhi1nz.jpg

dehli

mumbai7ch.jpg

mumbai

mysore7iy.jpg

mysore

Members don't see this ad.

mysore7iy.jpg

guju floods...TOO MUCH RAIN..thats how much snow us canadians get.

6ycwif.jpg

6ycxt5.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
data said:
considering the support, or lack thereof, that i see for this construction, i would be very apprehensive about walking on it, particularly in the center. where did the rest of these photos come from, and do you think they will become reality within 15 years? where do you see india in 15 years? 5? 1? how is american outsourcing and offshoring affecting india? are the prospects looking good? what about medicine?

sorry, i guess i am an "ABCD"

those images are awesome...i actually think it could happen considering the rapid development in the urban centers...which brings us to the fact that the rural parts are shamefully underdeveloped. maybe we should focus there a bit too.

that cant happen india...
it lacks the infrastructure to build on such a scale... it is unorganized and verry simply too corrupt... and its just getting worse....

if 100 mil are gievn to a project... 20 mil will go into the project...

yes from what little i know, the corruption in india causes a lot of lack of progress. if only they could be honest ppl, they would rise up very quickly and powerfully probably. the british are the only reason for the little infrastructure and success india currently has.

Boinger said:
that cant happen india...
it lacks the infrastructure to build on such a scale... it is unorganized and verry simply too corrupt... and its just getting worse....

if 100 mil are gievn to a project... 20 mil will go into the project...

it can ! & it`ll though i`m not sure if we`ll b alive by then ! lol .. it`s gonna so slow !
corrupt ! yes a lot ....i don`t remember the rank of india in countyr wice corruption scale ..but thinmgs r better than they were say ..10 yrs ago ! a lot beter actually . I think india`progression is like a train .it takes time to catch speed ..& when it does takes little longer to come ot a halt ...something like a elephant ! don`t compare it to the dragon...who serves on short notice.
BTW .india now has 500 m$ for it to get the work done worth 100m ! :laugh:
all in all ...i`m optimistic .BTW.i believe in world peace so Im not a ..hmm......patriot !

the corruption in india causes a lot of lack of progress. if only they could be honest ppl, they would rise up very quickly and powerfully probably.

honest ! indians ! u must b joking man ! WE indians r humans just like everyone else ..say americans ( u can include the Bush & comopany in it ..if u like ) ,.....power of money allures most humans .humans r greedy .seek instant gratification ! So basically Qualitatively ,we r same as everyone else..what differenrtiates is the Quantity..but then we r mor ethan 1 billion in no. ! lol...just kidding . ..actually there is some line which is not crossed in many countries but in india ..that`s the difference .

the british are the only reason for the little infrastructure and success india currently has.

i just hope u r not implying to Taj mahal , kutub minar ( infrastructure ) lol ...btw have u ever been to bangalor e or hyderabad ? paya visit once

Shredder said:
yes from what little i know, the corruption in india causes a lot of lack of progress. if only they could be honest ppl, they would rise up very quickly and powerfully probably. the british are the only reason for the little infrastructure and success india currently has.

you said you were an abcd rite?

Members don't see this ad :)
nokia said:
honest ! indians ! u must b joking man ! WE indians r humans just like everyone else ..say americans ( u can include the Bush & comopany in it ..if u like ) ,.....power of money allures most humans .humans r greedy .seek instant gratification ! So basically Qualitatively ,we r same as everyone else..what differenrtiates is the Quantity..but then we r mor ethan 1 billion in no. ! lol...just kidding . ..actually there is some line which is not crossed in many countries but in india ..that`s the difference .
americans tend to be honest in making deals, they fulfill contracts and obligations. an indian storeowner may swindle a customer and lose that customer forever in the future, not realizing that it is much more valuable to give good service in hopes of creating returning customers. so in that way, yes people are driven by selfishness and self interest i agree, its just that you derive more benefit from being honest than swindling, in the long run. also there is much more outright bribery and under the table deals in india, whereas here there is a pretty strict watch that is kept on that. infrastructure like the schools and the railroads were put in place by the british. taj mahal has no bearing on indias success except for relatively minimal tourism revenue.

i havent been to bangalore, bombay, hyderbad, or calcutta. my family took me with the intention of visiting relatives, not touring, so i did not get a good impression of india, which has led me to stay away for many years. only i went to delhi and new delhi and parts in the far north, and i did not enjoy that.

yeah i am abcd, only been to india 3 times, last time was 8 yr ago. i read about it here and there but that is not really a substitute for visiting. maybe one day in the future.

you are generalizing a whole race yet you yourself admit, you havent even fully seen india yet. I have lived there and go back very frequently and even I cant say one way or the other. people are people...there will be honest people and theere will be crooked people. ours is a country of gandhi and laloo prasad, of vajpayee and modi...you cant really generalize. at least not without a proper understanding which you obviously lack.

Bob_Johansson said:
you are generalizing a whole race yet you yourself admit, you havent even fully seen india yet. I have lived there and go back very frequently and even I cant say one way or the other. people are people...there will be honest people and theere will be crooked people. ours is a country of gandhi and laloo prasad, of vajpayee and modi...you cant really generalize. at least not without a proper understanding which you obviously lack.
i have to agree with shredder and i have lived there.....

Bob_Johansson said:
you dont have to get defensive about india, be objective and give some analysis as to why it is in its current condition. i may not live there or have spent extensive time there, but in a way that gives me an advantage in my perspective, which is an outsiders perspective and not clouded in judgment. also i am still capable of rational thought and keeping up with reading and events in spite of not having traveled there, and speaking with relatives and parents provides a fair amount of insight as well.

people can always point to this and that exception and rule out generalizing. generalizing is life, if one cannot generalize then it is impossible to ever draw any conclusions or solutions. and its not so much about the race, its about the indian culture. it has a tendency to be conniving, crooked, and corrupt, much more so than american culture. even indian shopkeepers and business owners in america are not to be fully trusted, at least this much i can speak from experience. in america the bribery is much more subtle in the form of campaign donations and such, rather than blatant under the table deals and selling of faulty products with poor return policies.

india can defend all it wants and negate generalizations, but in the end the quality of life there is bad, and the first step in improving that must be addressing the problems at hand if there is to be any progress. i would like to see india rise up just as much as the next indian who has not given up, but its useless if the indians all claim that india is already number 1, as many of my proud relatives do.

Shredder said:

Don't fool yourself, that infrastructure was built to loot India, not develop it. Thanks to the British, India dropped from being the richest nation to among the poorest.

samdwi said:
Don't fool yourself, that infrastructure was built to loot India, not develop it. Thanks to the British, India dropped from being the richest nation to among the poorest.
im under no pretense that the british wanted to help india, but in the process of looting they still did in fact leave infrastructure. so it was to indias benefit in the end. imagine where india would be without british rule, perhaps near the level of africa. there is no oil like in the middle east. a land of spices, yoga, and teas does not equate to economic power in todays world as it may have hundreds of years ago. thanks to the british india at least speaks english and can obtain american jobs to put money into the indian economy

Shredder said:
im under no pretense that the british wanted to help india, but in the process of looting they still did in fact leave infrastructure. so it was to indias benefit in the end. imagine where india would be without british rule, perhaps near the level of africa. there is no oil like in the middle east. a land of spices, yoga, and teas does not equate to economic power in todays world as it may have hundreds of years ago. thanks to the british india at least speaks english and can obtain american jobs to put money into the indian economy

Your argument is not only speculative, it's borderline specious. Who's to say that, instead of trying to hoist the chains of british rule and deal with the partition that came as a result, India put its resources into human capital and a capitalist economy? Part of the reason behind the (poor) economy that resulted after the british rule was because of India's isolationist policy DUE to that rule. India COULD have built that infrastructure without British help; it just didn't get the chance.

India does not equal yoga, spices, and teas just as china does not equal silkworms and taoism. Given the chance, the country could have flourished. We have no way of knowing.

-Ice

Shredder said:

The infrastructure that was left behind was woefully substandard. Post independence and the horrible partition (thanks again to the British, and Jinnah), Nehru and Co. along with Sardar Patel and the Tatas used up the modern equivalent of billions of pounds in foreign aid to update and reconfigure infrastructure (telegraph lines, rail lines, postal service and waterways), all of which were built specifically to fit British trains, ships and so on. Some estimates taken during Rajiv Gandhi's PM-ship show that if India had to build that base from scratch, it woud have been cheaper and less environmentally destructive.
In fact, it is surprising that India was not strangled by the antiquated infrastructure it was "gifted" (as written in some history texts) and was able to modernise it (bring it to the level of 1940s and 1950s technology) quickly enough so as to prevent all out starvation of its mountainous and inland areas. Now, its a different story that India has not been able to adequetly modernize after that first growth spurt in the 40s and 50s.

Further, if India had not been suppressed for 150 some-odd years, there is no reason to believe that it wouldn't have flourished just as Japan has. Indeed, some of the greatest scientific minds were produced in India even before the British ruled India - their contributions to science were covered up by the British and Germans, or re-credited to European scientists.

Also, since Vedic times, India has been divided politically into various states, but it has been linked together culturally. Until the Muslim invasions of the 10th century and the divisive efects of the Portuguese, and later British, Indian states always banded together to fend off foreign invaders (not always successfuly though). The point being, various Indian states considered themselves part of India first, and as Sakas, Marathas or Pratiharas second.

Trying to credit the British for ANYTHING is wrong - you don't tell a recently freed slave that he's lucky becuase his owner was nice enough to feed him! The British are good friends of India today no doubt, but India wouldv'e been just fine without the Gora Sahib.

Pardon the rant. This is by no means a personal attack, but a continuation of a decades old debate!

btw iNDIA HAS almost equal amount of billionaires as England.

Not only that, Tony Blair himself is impressed by India's growth in biotechnology. Within a few years this sector will be able to employ a lot of people.

Main issue is creation of jobs. Allow FDI , more firms come in - require better infrastructure - some of them pump in some money- govt. promises good return - country's image at stake- work done properly - development keeps taking place - dynamic is the correct word to describe India's progress.
By 2025 it will be among the top 5 largest economies - that is a great thing -

China is making great strides, South Korea is looking stronger, Japan is making some changes (although a lot needed) Russia's getting stronger too,
some parts of Middle East are modernizing, although overall dismal.

Conclusion - this is the Asian Century.

The govt. has recently planned to spend a certain sum of money on expanding railroads and roadways.

Wireless communication is being introduced to rural areas.

India's railway system is being completely revolutionized by IT.

India needs to continue to allow FDI in every important sector.
THere is still bureaucracy (Like Russia's) that screwed things up in the past.
Things are changing and I am very optimistic.

I don't know if you guys watch CNBC CNN, but people now always mention India along with China as great competitors, emegring economies.

Competition is the key.
It is not easy to run a country of billion people, which by the way is more than the population of whites on this planet!

BTW India's current middle class is almost equal to the population of the US.

Of course, the standard of living needs a lot of improvement, but all of this is showing that Indians now a days have money to spend of better things in life -- hotter girls. Only if I were in India fooling around :laugh: