• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

hanspark

Feb 8, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Yesterday India announced that " doctors wishing to pursue medical higher studies in USA,from this year onwards must sign a NOC/bond with the Indian govt saying they will return to India after the completion of their studies". This rule is to prevent doctors going to US in the pretext of higher studies and migrating/ settling there. On failing to return to india, the Govt will initiate a letter to the US govt, saying not to allow us to practise in USA.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...sign-bond-for-return/articleshow/12838718.cms

And what about dental students, who take $200k on loans??

Last edited:
About the Ads

PrinSaini

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2008
home
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
This rule is applicable to MBBS doctors and that too the doctors from government colleges since they do not have to pay much for their education and the government spends a bomb educating them. For once i agree with the authorities and i think they are justified since they pay from the tax payers money for educating doctors in government colleges :thumbup:

On a more lighter note i think they might pass a rule for dentists saying that they are not allowed to come back to India once they go to the U.S since there are too many dentists already in the country.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

thanks for the info :thumbup:

surbhi garg

Apr 23, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
but its written for medical and paramedical studies..are you sure its not applicable for dental students because its impossible to get the loans paid off if u have to come back

asghan

Nov 20, 2010
san diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
This rule is applicable to MBBS doctors and that too the doctors from government colleges

On a more lighter note i think they might pass a rule for dentists saying that they are not allowed to come back to India once they go to the U.S since there are too many dentists already in the country.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I hope people would put in some serious discussion/ info. This is not a light matter.

Whatever MCI - medical council of india takes up the DCI follows sooner or later. To do residency MBBS people need to be on H1b visa. If this rule is implemented the US people would not issue H1 b visas to Indian doctors. Do you think they will make a distinction in the case of dentists?

What if after DDS we are not given H1b visa as the govt wants us to practice back home?

I'm certainly sure the person above didn't study in a Govt college. If you did you would certainly empathize with them.
Also back home there is a shortage for dentists. I'm not sure - it should be 1 dentist for 2000 people? 1:2000 ratio? Currently in india dentist population ratio is 1 :13,000

- What do people from India who don't have GC/PR understsnd from this?
- Will we get H1b visa after DDS?

surbhi garg

Apr 23, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
How and from where to get the information regarding this..this is a real serious issue..there is no good reason of coming and spending bucks here just to repeat our graduation and then go back as foolish

About the Ads

bhavi4all

Aug 2, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
@Eminem.superman - you cannot simply escape from paying your.loan by saying you are bankrupt..thats what cosigners are there for...They are gonna grill cosigners then..U.S Govt would loose nothing if we are sent back..

asghan

Nov 20, 2010
san diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
bhavi - you are right.
eminem - the thing is US govt wants NOC. To get an NOC from the indian govt doctors will need to sign a bond that they will return after their higher studies."
Also I'm on B2 visa applying for DDS. Was planning the route B2 - F1 - H1b - GC. This was risky already and now to add to this misery comes Mr. Azad's rule.

Do you think Azad or the indian Govt know how an indian dentist struggles to eventually get licensed in USA?
obviously not. And they are not even bothered or ever will. Even the DCI people or dentists will be aloof to that.
Now we are on loans for this much money. The Govt doesn't care how we funded or not.
As long as they see "dentists come under the same category as doctors - for visa purposes, There is a good chance we too are screwed".

DDS has no value back home in india.
US might gain from this - because they can give dentist jobs to their own people. This is one thing the present US govt - doesn't want to give their jobs to indians/ other nationalities.

after DDS we become eligible for licensure. But what if the Govt of india after 2 yrs or so doesn't allow us to practice there?

eminemsuperman

Apr 23, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Do you Know of anyone who will become a dentists co-signer if he knows that the dentist will not have any resource to pay off the money ??????????????????????????? so no co signer means no loan .. no loan means no intrntl student ....... no international stud means a big loss to usa who charge a lot of money from intrntnl dntists ...... so buddy think about it .... there are a lot of loopholes and a lot of money involved ....
I DONOT THINK this rule is for Dentists ..... ,, BUT IF YOU THINK LOGICALLY ..... THIS RULE FOR DENTISTS JUST DOESNT MAKES SENSE....AND I REPEAT I AM NOT SURE,,, ITS JUST MY POINT OF VIEW

Last edited:

asghan

Nov 20, 2010
san diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Bhavi ,,, Do you Know of anyone who will become a dentists co-signer if he knows that the dentist will not have any resource to pay off the money ??????????????????????????? so no co signer means no loan .. no loan means no intrntl student ....... no international stud means a big loss to usa who charge a lot of money from intrntnl dntists ...... so buddy think about it .... there are a lot of loopholes and a lot of money involved ....
I DONOT THINK this rule is for Dentists ..... ,, BUT IF YOU THINK LOGICALLY ..... THIS RULE FOR DENTISTS JUST DOESNT MAKES SENSE....AND I REPEAT I AM NOT SURE,,, ITS JUST MY POINT OF VIEW

Be realistic.
Forget the bankruptcy thing and loopholes.
I thought of repaying the loans after DDS through my job. For that i need to get H1b right?
Nothing will stop US from giving IDP's DDS and studying in the college. It's a win win situation for USA colleges. They get the money. After that what happens. That is what we must look into..with the advent of this rule

surbhi garg

Apr 23, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
hey! anybody please throw some more light to whats going on?? are we safe or we are not..m preparing and its getting hard to prepare amidst such bond things

micsc

Apr 26, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Is this for all doctors who are citizens of India? Or is this only for those Indian doctors who studied in India? What about an Indian who studied medicine in Russia and still doesn't have a license to practice in India (unless he writes the licensing exam in India), will he also be required to sign a bond to come back and practice in India after further studies in the US?

ssehgal

Dental Student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Toronto
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
It's only if you have a license or want to practice in India. Anyways this is only for MBBS. As of now it doesn't apply to BDS graduates.

drdoe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
This rule has only been suggested to be put in effect. It has not been passed yet. The ruling is likely to be held in about 2 weeks or so. There is opposition also to passing this rule.

Nobody knows for sure if it affects only medical doctors. It may also include nurses, dentists etc. It is also not known if it is only for those from govt colleges or merit quotas.

They are proposing a NOC bond system, where you might have the option to pay out the bond if you opt to further study and work in USA. If the rule does come into effect, it affects all those studying from 2012 onwards.

So until the ruling is passed or objected, we might not know the complete details regarding it. Let's hope the rule doesn't get passed or there are just enough loopholes to get through it. Till then watch out for the news.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.