H1b, immigration and salary for foreign-trained dentists after DDS/DMD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genden91

Reaction score
I have worked for more than 5 yrs as a general dentist in India and worked extensively in prosthodontics, endodontics, and radiographic reporting of CBCT scans. I have a Masters's in Health Services Administration (MHSA) from the University of Michigan (2018). Since I didn't get a job during my OPT period, I had to return to India where I continued dentistry at my dad's oral surgical practice since COVID hit. My husband has been working in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and has just gotten his H1B. I will be moving back to the US soon and plan on doing DDS and working as a dentist in the US. I have already had issues with my OPT running out since I did not get a job with my MHSA degree. I would really appreciate it if you can share if immigration has been an issue for you in getting a job as a dentist. Also, I will be getting a license to practice dentistry in Florida since my husband is working in Fort Lauderdale. What kind of salary should I expect after graduating? I am 31 currently and haven't taken the INBDE yet. I am hoping to graduate by 2026
I would also like to ask, Can I do DDS on an H4 visa, or it's essential to be on F1 only? I personally prefer to remain on H4 since I anticipate that I will be getting my H4 EAD after the I 140 approval of my husband's Green card application. It might take 2 years approximately to get my EAD, which will be the time my advance standing DDS program would take to complete. I am keen on the H4 path since that will not require sponsorship from an employer and make it easier to find jobs. Is my planning reasonable or there are other factors that I should know about?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There have been 167 views of my post so far. I am certain that immigration plays a pivotal role in job seeking for all the foreign-trained dentists here. It would be really nice of you to share what you think or share your experiences. I really request you.

I have worked for more than 5 yrs as a general dentist in India and worked extensively in prosthodontics, endodontics, and radiographic reporting of CBCT scans. I have a Masters's in Health Services Administration (MHSA) from the University of Michigan (2018). Since I didn't get a job during my OPT period, I had to return to India where I continued dentistry at my dad's oral surgical practice since COVID hit. My husband has been working in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and has just gotten his H1B. I will be moving back to the US soon and plan on doing DDS and working as a dentist in the US. I have already had issues with my OPT running out since I did not get a job with my MHSA degree. I would really appreciate it if you can share if immigration has been an issue for you in getting a job as a dentist. Also, I will be getting a license to practice dentistry in Florida since my husband is working in Fort Lauderdale. What kind of salary should I expect after graduating? I am 31 currently and haven't taken the INBDE yet. I am hoping to graduate by 2026
I would also like to ask, Can I do DDS on an H4 visa, or it's essential to be on F1 only? I personally prefer to remain on H4 since I anticipate that I will be getting my H4 EAD after the I 140 approval of my husband's Green card application. It might take 2 years approximately to get my EAD, which will be the time my advance standing DDS program would take to complete. I am keen on the H4 path since that will not require sponsorship from an employer and make it easier to find jobs. Is my planning reasonable or there are other factors that I should know about?
Hi,
hope you are doing well. i have the same questions you have. I am also on my F2 visa waiting for my H4 and I wanted to ask you if you have got your answer whether you will be able to study on H4 or not?
I know there are no replies here. I was wondering if you got your answer from some other sources.
Please share your answer if you have got one.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can study on H4 but you will not be eligible for on-campus jobs on H4 visa. F1 visa has the advantage that you can legally work in part-time jobs at your university. I am not sure if you get paid for dental treatments provided at the dental school but then in that case F1 will be necessary for you to get paid

Reactions: 1 user
You can study on H4 but you will not be eligible for on-campus jobs on H4 visa. F1 visa has the advantage that you can legally work in part-time jobs at your university. I am not sure if you get paid for dental treatments provided at the dental school but then in that case F1 will be necessary for you to get paid
Thank You so much. It was very helpful

Hi there,

Lots of questions in your post.

1. What kind of salary should I expect after graduating? 120 k is a beginner's salary for a new graduate with a DDS/DMD
2. Can I do DDS on an H4 visa, or it's essential to be on F1 only? The answer to this is 'it depends'. Some schools allow it and others do not. I recently published a book where I go into some detail regarding the above, give it a read - https://www.amazon.com/Persevering-Complete-Applications-Opportunities-Foreign-Trained/
3. Is my planning reasonable or there are other factors that I should know about? its great to plan these things in advance however, be prepared for things not working your way. Every foreign trained dentist's journey is remarkable and strenuous, theres just way too much competition and very few schools that take you in. That said the most important thing for you is to START. You haven't yet taken your INBDE. Well, what are you waiting for? :)

All the best!

You will not get paid for doing treatment at dental school. You will pay for your education instead. F1 or H4 it does not matter.