Indian Health Service (IHS) externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'mFillingFine

Pulptastic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever try an IHS externship for the summer between 3rd and 4th year? What are your thoughts about it? I'm not interested in joining IHS after I graduate, but the externships seem like a great idea for a lot of reasons.

If you did one, which site did you go to? Thanks!! You get a cookie for answering :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

I considered doing an externship for IHS but decided not to due to time constraints between my third and fourth year. I know a person who did a two week externship at the Browning, MT site and had a great experience. The person is now in an ortho residency; they did the intership to get more experience and have a nice break. If I would have had the time, I would have done one for sure.

I considered doing an externship for IHS but decided not to due to time constraints between my third and fourth year. I know a person who did a two week externship at the Browning, MT site and had a great experience. The person is now in an ortho residency; they did the intership to get more experience and have a nice break. If I would have had the time, I would have done one for sure.

Oh cool! Yeah, I've only heard good things so far. It may depend a bit on the site, but since it's all gov't, I imagine there aren't as many differences as when you take a chance at a hospital. If your classmate is up to sharing pros and cons, would you mind sending me a PM to exchange info?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a 2 week externship this past summer at the Winslow, AZ site. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I probably averaged seeing 8 patients a day. I did everything from removable to fixed to endo, and tons of operative and exo's. I was allowed to see patients with minimal supervision, however, if I needed anything the attendings were more than happy to help. The only negative I can say for the entire experience is the paperwork involved with actually getting to do the externship. It really can be a huge pain. Before I went I heard of people not getting reimbursed for their travel, but I didn't find that to be the case, you just have to make sure and do the necessary paperwork before and after your trip. My advise is go for it, it's a great clinical experience. I know of the four people that went from my class and no one has anything bad to say about the experience. Two went to Alaska and one went to lame deer, MT. Hope this is helpful.

I did a 2 week externship this past summer at the Winslow, AZ site. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I probably averaged seeing 8 patients a day. I did everything from removable to fixed to endo, and tons of operative and exo's. I was allowed to see patients with minimal supervision, however, if I needed anything the attendings were more than happy to help. The only negative I can say for the entire experience is the paperwork involved with actually getting to do the externship. It really can be a huge pain. Before I went I heard of people not getting reimbursed for their travel, but I didn't find that to be the case, you just have to make sure and do the necessary paperwork before and after your trip. My advise is go for it, it's a great clinical experience. I know of the four people that went from my class and no one has anything bad to say about the experience. Two went to Alaska and one went to lame deer, MT. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the advice! Do you recommend 2 or 3 weeks? Also, how far into removable and fixed cases could you get in the 2 weeks?

Now you're free to do whatever in the evenings and weekends, right? I have NO idea which sites to apply to. I'd like something unique and culturally different from what I'm used to. I'm thinking the mountains or the southwestern desert.

Also, do they give you 8 patients your first day? I imagine you get faster quickly, but what if you need some transition time? :oops:

I know two students who participated this summer -- one in Belcourt, ND and the other in/or near Durango, CO. They both really enjoyed their time and got tons of experience. I am planning on doing one as well.

Thanks for the advice! Do you recommend 2 or 3 weeks? Also, how far into removable and fixed cases could you get in the 2 weeks?

Now you're free to do whatever in the evenings and weekends, right? I have NO idea which sites to apply to. I'd like something unique and culturally different from what I'm used to. I'm thinking the mountains or the southwestern desert.

Also, do they give you 8 patients your first day? I imagine you get faster quickly, but what if you need some transition time? :oops:

You can do 2 or 3 weeks, which ever you prefer...the site I was at was disappointed I wasn't staying for 4 weeks, I think this is due in part to the Tufts students that come out there to do their 4 week externship, so I was out of the ordinary for them. Yes, outside of clinic time you are free to do what you want, visit the grand canyon or whatever. As far as the workload, my first day I probably saw more than 10 patients it was so busy, I didn't even get an actual "tour" of the place, I walked in and shook hands and they apoligized for being so busy, but that I needed to get started with the molar endo that was already in my chair. :eek: . But I'm sure that if you wanted to go slower you could, someone else would just pick up your slack, since they have 2 AEGD residents there also, 4 total, but 2 go off-site each day. Which I also got to do a couple of days. Fixed and removable I didn't necessarily complete a patient, if there was a crown to be cemented I did it, if one needed prepping, I did it, if there were jaw records to be done, I did them, you get the picture...nothing like dental school. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

i went to winslow, az for externship while in dental school. it is a GREAT experience if you get a chance to go there! if you do have the time, i would definitely check it out!