Indian Health Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxboy1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a new grad, does anyone know if IHS prefers a Pharmacist to have a residency or is it simple to get a Pharmacist position with no residency? If you go on USAjobs.gov, there are numerous openings for Pharmacist positions with IHS.

Members don't see this ad.

No harm in applying if you're willing to move anywhere...I've been keeping an eye out on those jobs as well...the
locations don't seem to be ideal for single 20 somethings though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's always a plus, but most pharmacist positions within IHS do not require residency and are in high need of a licensed pharmacist period (Great Plains area in particular). Another thing to consider is actually applying for the IHS PGY1 residency program. You have the option of applying to the residency program as a USPHS Commissioned Corps officer, which means you'll get paid as an O-3 (about $80k depending on location/housing allowance) during your residency year.

Reactions: 2 users
It's always a plus, but most pharmacist positions within IHS do not require residency and are in high need of a licensed pharmacist period (Great Plains area in particular). Another thing to consider is actually applying for the IHS PGY1 residency program. You have the option of applying to the residency program as a USPHS Commissioned Corps officer, which means you'll get paid as an O-3 (about $80k depending on location/housing allowance) during your residency year.
What sort of time commitment does that come with? Do you have to sign up for a 4 year tour and does the residency year count towards that total?

It seems like a pretty good deal for new graduates. If you consider the fact that your residency year(s) are going to be focused on work anyway, why not do this and get paid a reasonable salary while you're at it?

What sort of time commitment does that come with? Do you have to sign up for a 4 year tour and does the residency year count towards that total?

It seems like a pretty good deal for new graduates. If you consider the fact that your residency year(s) are going to be focused on work anyway, why not do this and get paid a reasonable salary while you're at it?

For now it is just a one year commitment, i.e. you do not have to stay on after your residency if you dont want to. There are some changes in the pipeline, but the details are still being hashed out.

Edit: to clarify, you are not obligated to stay in the Corps after you complete residency training, although if you do decide to stay in the Corps, you are required to serve at least two years, including residency year, in IHS, before you can transfer to a different agency.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Wait you can get paid well in residency...as well as try transfer to another location in just 2 years? Sounds like a sweet deal. Wish I knew about this before I moved to bfe...

Reactions: 1 users
I have noticed on most IHS job postings that they require IHS Pharmacy experience.... Not exactly sure what that means. I hope that they are not referring to the computer system...

They prefer to hire their own residents. So if you can manage to get a residency there then you are probably going to work there after. Their residency program isn't through the match system.

They prefer to hire their own residents. So if you can manage to get a residency there then you are probably going to work there after. Their residency program isn't through the match system.
If they prefer to hire they own residents, then what's point of the job posting?

Everyone prefers to hire their own residents though so that doesn't say much...IHS residency doesn't sound like a bad idea though if you get paid as an officer. Plus after you finish you can decide whether you want to stick it out for the good retirement or try switching to the VA...

For now it is just a one year commitment, i.e. you do not have to stay on after your residency if you dont want to. There are some changes in the pipeline, but the details are still being hashed out.

Edit: to clarify, you are not obligated to stay in the Corps after you complete residency training, although if you do decide to stay in the Corps, you are required to serve at least two years, including residency year, in IHS, before you can transfer to a different agency.
If you accept a bonus, you are obligated for four total years. Every time an USPHS officer starts a position, they are expected to serve two years. So if a resident is not hired at their residency site, they would need to serve two more years before transferring to another site. This is because moving costs are reimbursed by the accepting site.

If you accept a bonus, you are obligated for four total years. Every time an USPHS officer starts a position, they are expected to serve two years. So if a resident is not hired at their residency site, they would need to serve two more years before transferring to another site. This is because moving costs are reimbursed by the accepting site.

I couldnt remember if pharmacy residents were eligible for the $30,000 sign on bonus (that comes with a 4 year commitment), but i may be confusing that with costep or some other program...

I couldnt remember if pharmacy residents were eligible for the $30,000 sign on bonus (that comes with a 4 year commitment), but i may be confusing that with costep or some other program...
I read something about pharmacist residents from the last two years having problems getting their accession bonus, take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

anyone know for sure if they hire pharmacists with a record?

anyone know for sure if they hire pharmacists with a record?
Know how much more in-depth federal background checks are I'd say not likely

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

It has changed year to year. This past year's residents were eligible.