Indian Medical Schools and Bribery.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sk2005-06

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm trying to apply to an Indian Med School. Preferably SRMC, and a relative of mine from Chennai told me that I'm probably going to end up paying what is advertised on their site ($100,000) + another Rs 75,000 as a bribe :scared: if I want to get in, mainly because I'm an NRI. Is this true, or is she just pulling my leg? :confused: Has anyone that has applied, or is studing in SRMC ever paid a bribe?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know what SRMC is....probably another one of the shady places NRI are lured into for substandard education, but if you are going to fork out 45 lakhs, whats another 75K?

Why would you guys not consider Carib schools? I really do not see the point in going to India where the format of medical education is different in the first place. Go to a carib school and do your clinicals here in the states.

Members don't see this ad :)
So it really does happen???

I'm surpriced that no one form SRMC have responded.

if you're getting in only paying 75 K INR then that's quite a good deal.
Most schools in Punjab are asking at least 40 lakh INR just in bribery.

Singh said:
if you're getting in only paying 75 K INR then that's quite a good deal.
Most schools in Punjab are asking at least 40 lakh INR just in bribery.

Ditto to Singh.

Try the Caribbean schools (as someone else mentioned). If you are worried about the stigma, it's not as much as it used to be. No one freakin' cares as long as you do well in the curriculum and your exams. Knowledge is the point! My local residency program has plenty of caribbean grads, doing well.

Best of luck.

This is a bit off topic...but how is the social life for a student doing Dentistry in India, as opposed to a student doing MBBS? :confused:

sk2005-06 said:
This is a bit off topic...but how is the social life for a student doing Dentistry in India, as opposed to a student doing MBBS? :confused:
At the school I attended, the students had pretty good social lives... whether they did dentistry or medicine.

AMMD said:
Why would you guys not consider Carib schools? I really do not see the point in going to India where the format of medical education is different in the first place. Go to a carib school and do your clinicals here in the states.

Exactly!! I have some friends who from the US went to med school in India....why would you do this? The only thing I can think of is that you would want to skip out on college and go straight in after high school..which is cool and all....but ur gonna have no background in biology and will be seeing all this stuff for the first time, and then ur USMLE score might be low..is saving 4 years REALLY worth it???

P.S. Those four years (college) are the best times of ur life

Bribery by NRI students is rampant among the private medical universities. Even Indian students who have not scored in their pre medical test can come in through this route although for them the bribe is lower.

In some of these places if u show the money even before the tests are conducted they give u question paper along with the solution so they can fool the authority into believing that the student has secured the admission legitimately into their institute.

The culprits are almost never caught as most of these institutes are owned and runned by big politicians.

The only thing which does happen is that each year during the admission period
there is some or the other controversy about the admission procedure which usually dies down within a month.