Indiana info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathdaddy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking for info on the Indiana Univ program. There is a 4-5 year old post on scutwork but I was wanting more current info.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a resident there, what kind of information can I give you?

Can you please tell us about living in Indianapolis? I'm really interested in the program but wondered about cost-of-living, commute, etc.? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctor B. said:
I'm a resident there, what kind of information can I give you?

How do you like the program? Strengths/weaknesses? How's the teaching? Would you choose it again? Hours/benefits? Do you get preview time? How competitive is it?... and anything else you might like to add...

First off, I'm very happy at the program. I think it is an excellent academic pathology program at a large academic medical center. Consequently, we get a bunch of interesting cases from all over. There are several well-known, well-published faculty here that are easily accessible and great to work with which contrasted with my preconceived notions when I first started. The teaching here is excellent as well. All faculty are approachable and willing to look at cases with you. We have conferences nearly every day. Monday we have required AP and CP conferences. The rest of the conferences are optional. We have a gross image conference every other Tuesday, head and neck path conference the first wed of every month, neuro path, soft tissue and an unknown conference by one of our surg path faculty once a month. There is also cytology and derm path conferences every week. Every day there is a 4pm QC conference where the surg path faculty bring interesting cases or cases they have a question about. All residents are invited and many show up. It's a great way to see cool cases.

Our hours are very reasonable. Most days begin a 7:30 or 8 AM and end around 5 or 6 pm depending on the rotation. You will not be grossing until the wee hours here. We have several PA's who help gross and are excellent at instructing you on how to gross specimens. The PA's do not detract from your learning by taking the challenging cases either. They walk you through those cases if you aren't familiar with them.

Benefits are numerous, some of which are outlined here: http://www.pathology.iupui.edu/htm/resident_benefits.htm. We also get free parking and free medical/dental/eye insurance for the resident, spouse and dependents.

We do get preview time on each surg path rotation. We rotate at 5 different hospitals: University, VA, Riley (children's), Methodist (large private) and Wishard (county). Preview time for slides is available in the mornings. As your abilities increase, you will dictate the cases and then go over the cases you had questions about later (some staff will go over all of them, others just the ones you missed). Having this graded responsibility is very nice as it allows you to learn at the scope with the attending at first while gradually gaining more independence.

Indianapolis is a great city. It feels like a small town yet is large enough to have everything you could want to do. Traffic is not bad at all compared to other large cities. The commute depends on where you live. My commute now is 25 minutes but you can live closer than that. Some residents live even farther away (40 minutes or so). The cost of living is also great compared to other large cities. Most residents own a home and have no trouble making ends meet. Many have 2-4 bedroom houses and their mortgage payments are less than $1000/month (some residents have spouses that make good money and have more expensive homes).

It's hard for me to know how competitive our program is. We interview several candidates for 4-5 positions/year and have filled for many years in a row. I would definately choose this program again if I had to do it all over.

Hope that was somewhat helpful. It was off the top of my head so it's not very organized. Please post or PM me with any other questions.