General Admissions & OTCAS Indiana OT Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otapplicant2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am in the process of interviewing and considering all the OT schools in Indiana. I was wondering if previous applicants could help with me stats so I know what my chances are at certain schools.
Overall GPA: 3.85
Prereq GPA: 3.7-3.8 (depending on school)
GRE: 148 (verbal), 149 (quantitative) 4.0 (writing)
Lots of shadowing hours, and I worked at a rehab center for over a year.

Applied: IUPUI, UIndy, Huntington, Indiana State.
Interviews: Huntington (9/22), UIndy (12/1), IUPUI (12/2)
Accepted: Huntington (9/29); UIndy (12/13)
Rejected:
Waitlisted: IUPUI (12/8)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! I am applying to IUPUI and Huntington as well! I actually have an interview at Huntington on Nov 3. I was wondering if you could give me any info on Huntington! I am from SC so it is very far from home. What did you like about it? How was the interview?

My stats are:
Overall GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite is 3.5-3.7
GRE 152 verbal 146 quant 4.0 writing
73 shadowing hours across 4 completely different OT settings
Volunteer hours with the American Heart Association and Holy Strokes (an SC organization)

Hey! I am applying to IUPUI and Huntington as well! I actually have an interview at Huntington on Nov 3. I was wondering if you could give me any info on Huntington! I am from SC so it is very far from home. What did you like about it? How was the interview?

My stats are:
Overall GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite is 3.5-3.7
GRE 152 verbal 146 quant 4.0 writing
73 shadowing hours across 4 completely different OT settings
Volunteer hours with the American Heart Association and Holy Strokes (an SC organization)

Huntington has a really solid program. I enjoyed meeting the professors and faculty when I was there. They offer international trips, and give a lot of flexibility with fieldwork location it seems. Also, they are connected to a hospital which makes it really convenient for some classes. I liked how they were separate from their main college, so you are not around any undergraduates. They said the average GPA of people they accept is 3.5, so I think you have a really good chance of getting in. They also said they do not emphasize GRE too much when choosing applicants. The interview was not too hard. They asked questions like what is the difference between a pt/ot/nurse, a challenge you've faced, how do you handle diversity, how much of the reading in college did you complete, 3 reasons you want to pursue doctorate over masters, what characteristics would make you a good OT, and what is a challenge you face when working in a group.
Note, I had the early interview in September, and I think they accepted a good number of students from that interview day. However, they are having both a spring and fall cohort, so they are accepting up to 56 students. There was only ~30 of there in September so they definitely still have spaces open. Downside is you have to pay a $500 deposit within two weeks after you are accepted. Let me know if you have any more questions! The town of Fort Wayne has plenty of places to eat and stay, and is not too from Indianapolis (if you are flying).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Huntington has a really solid program. I enjoyed meeting the professors and faculty when I was there. They offer international trips, and give a lot of flexibility with fieldwork location it seems. Also, they are connected to a hospital which makes it really convenient for some classes. I liked how they were separate from their main college, so you are not around any undergraduates. They said the average GPA of people they accept is 3.5, so I think you have a really good chance of getting in. They also said they do not emphasize GRE too much when choosing applicants. The interview was not too hard. They asked questions like what is the difference between a pt/ot/nurse, a challenge you've faced, how do you handle diversity, how much of the reading in college did you complete, 3 reasons you want to pursue doctorate over masters, what characteristics would make you a good OT, and what is a challenge you face when working in a group.
Note, I had the early interview in September, and I think they accepted a good number of students from that interview day. However, they are having both a spring and fall cohort, so they are accepting up to 56 students. There was only ~30 of there in September so they definitely still have spaces open. Downside is you have to pay a $500 deposit within two weeks after you are accepted. Let me know if you have any more questions! The town of Fort Wayne has plenty of places to eat and stay, and is not too from Indianapolis (if you are flying).
Hi everyone! I am in the process of interviewing and considering all the OT schools in Indiana. I was wondering if previous applicants could help with me stats so I know what my chances are at certain schools.

Interviews: Huntington (9/22)
Accepted: Huntington (9/29)
Rejected:

I know all the other schools probably won't conduct interviews for awhile, but I just wanted to see how my stats are at the other schools. I really liked Huntington, but the other schools are closer to my home and less expensive.
Have you heard from IUPUI yet?

I got my invitation to interview at IUPUI this morning. Good luck, all.

I got an interview as well! However I will be declining. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
I am putting my deposit down at Huntington next week. I am still looking for somewhere closer to home (SC) but since I was already accepted to HU I don't really want to make another trip up to Indiana!

I am putting my deposit down at Huntington next week. I am still looking for somewhere closer to home (SC) but since I was already accepted to HU I don't really want to make another trip up to Indiana!

I got my invitation to interview at IUPUI today as well.
Congrats on getting accepted to Huntington! Will you be doing the spring or fall cohort?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to Indiana State and got an early admissions interview!

I also applied to Indiana State and got an early admissions interview!
Nice! I still had a prereq to finish up, so they said I won't interview until March if selected. I hope the interview goes well!

Interviews: Huntington (9/22), UIndy (12/1), IUPUI (12/2)
Accepted: Huntington (9/29)
Rejected:

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you have any tips on HU's writing sample?

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you have any tips on HU's writing sample?
Thank you! They gave us ~3 page article that talked about OT (I can't remember what the specific topic was). Basically, you answer a series of questions related to the article (so no full essay, just a few questions). It was not very difficult, and I think there was definitely enough time to answer completely :)

Thank you! They gave us ~3 page article that talked about OT (I can't remember what the specific topic was). Basically, you answer a series of questions related to the article (so no full essay, just a few questions). It was not very difficult, and I think there was definitely enough time to answer completely :)
Okay thank you for replying !

Indiana State sent out some early admissions acceptances today and I was accepted!

Anyone hear about an interview for Indiana State? I was supposed to know by the end of February, so today! Very nervous, but I’m wondering if they’ll even let me know and just prolong it.

Anyone hear about an interview for Indiana State? I was supposed to know by the end of February, so today! Very nervous, but I’m wondering if they’ll even let me know and just prolong it.

I know a couple of people that were offered interviews for the March dates at the end of January.

I was offered an interview on Jan 31 but I denied it

I know a couple of people that were offered interviews for the March dates at the end of January.
Thanks! I was told I’d be informed by the end of the month at the beginning of February if I am eligible for an interview. I imagine they would’ve sent a rejection letter though if I wasn’t getting an interview? But i haven’t received anything at all so I’m a bit confused.

Just got an interview for Indiana State today, scheduled for Friday, March 23rd. Anyone going to be at the same?

Indiana State sent out some early admissions acceptances today and I was accepted!
Any tips about the interview? Also, does anyone know anything about the curriculum. I cannot find it online, but I do see that the program is designed to be completed in 3 years which I found odd.

Any tips about the interview? Also, does anyone know anything about the curriculum. I cannot find it online, but I do see that the program is designed to be completed in 3 years which I found odd.

I had two interviewers and they have a set of situational questions that they will ask. You have an allotted time period and if there is extra time then you get to chat with them and let them get to know you more. They have a presentations that describes the program by breaking it down into each semester and there was a financial aid presentation. I know the summer semester was just gross and an into to OT class but I don’t remember the following semesters. It’s a very informative day. They’ll give you print offs with a bunch of info about curriculum so take notes! There is also current students there to talk to which was very helpful.

Last edited:
I had two interviews and they have a set of situational questions that they will ask. You have an allotted time period and if there is extra time then you get to chat with them and let them get to know you more. They have a presentations that describes the program by breaking it down into each semester and there was a financial aid presentation. I know the summer semester was just gross and an into to OT class but I don’t remember the following semesters. It’s a very informative day. They’ll give you print offs with a bunch of info about curriculum so take notes! There is also current students there to talk to which was very helpful.
This was so very helpful, thank you! Do you think you’ll be attending ISU?

This was so very helpful, thank you! Do you think you’ll be attending ISU?

I will not be. I was accepted into another program that I liked more than ISU, but they were in my top three for schools.

Has anyone heard from ISU yet? In the most recent email, they stated they’ll be sending out notices beginning today.

Last edited:
I was waitlisted as well..
aw man:( I emailed Raine Lee asking when waitlisters usually find out if they are accepted or not and i'll let you know what she says! Did you apply to any other Indiana schools?

When I interviewed at ISU there was a student who got accepted off the waitlist the Friday before school started. So you can find out all the way up until the last day.

aw man:( I emailed Raine Lee asking when waitlisters usually find out if they are accepted or not and i'll let you know what she says! Did you apply to any other Indiana schools?
I did not. Also, this is one of the last schools I had a chance at, so I really hope I get pulled. I tried to asked my placement on the list but she wasn’t able to disclose. I know she said she would be pulling until the cohort is full which could be the start of the program at the end of May.

I did not. Also, this is one of the last schools I had a chance at, so I really hope I get pulled. I tried to asked my placement on the list but she wasn’t able to disclose. I know she said she would be pulling until the cohort is full which could be the start of the program at the end of May.
aw well fingers crossed you get off the waitlist! :)

Did anyone who got into ISU decline their acceptance, or will be declining? Also, does anyone know how many people on average are on a waitlist? I am in the dark with this type of response and it makes me so anxious to know I may be going through another year of this application process.

Last edited:
When I interviewed at ISU there was a student who got accepted off the waitlist the Friday before school started. So you can find out all the way up until the last day.
Do you know about how many students got pulled from the waitlist?

Do you know about how many students got pulled from the waitlist?
Got an email from Raine Lee that you can be contacted about getting off the waitlist as late as May 29th, just fyi

Has anyone been pulled from the INDIANA STATE waitlist yet?

Last edited:
Hi! I'm applying to IUPUI and Indiana State this year. I'm feeling pretty good about my chances of getting into Indiana State and hopeful for IUPUI. Do any of the previous applicants know how admission information is sent? Specifically, are interview invitations and acceptances/rejections sent by email or regular mail? I live at school and just want to know if I'll need to have my parents keeping a close eye on the mail while I'm away. I'd rather open an email myself than have to have my parents tell me over the phone.

Hi! I'm applying to IUPUI and Indiana State this year. I'm feeling pretty good about my chances of getting into Indiana State and hopeful for IUPUI. Do any of the previous applicants know how admission information is sent? Specifically, are interview invitations and acceptances/rejections sent by email or regular mail? I live at school and just want to know if I'll need to have my parents keeping a close eye on the mail while I'm away. I'd rather open an email myself than have to have my parents tell me over the phone.

All of the communication that I received from Indiana State was through email! There was a lot of applications last year. I want to say they told us in the interview that there was somewhere between 300-500. And the early admission interview I went to only had about 30 people. Not sure about the regular admissions interview.

Do you mind sharing your stats? Thank you!

Cumulative GPA: 3.6
Prerequisite GPA: 3.4-3.5
GRE: 149 V 148 Q 3.5 AW

Volunteer:
- Variety of volunteering in church for 7+ years, kids with development delays, in senior living centers, Cardinal Glennon, Habitat for Humanity etc.

Work:
- Montessori Infant Caregiver for 3 1/2 years (3000+ hours)

Misc: CPR/AED certified, Deans list for 3 years, Awarded Scholarship, Honor Society, Community Service Club, VP of Pre-OT club, Best Buddies, Community outreach class (Opening Minds through Art)

Observation experience:
- 120+ hours in six different settings.

References:
- Montessori daycare director
- OT professor for Community outreach class
- OT I observed in Peds

Applied : Indiana State, St. Ambrose, Maryville Univeristy, Midwestern, Davenport U, Adventist, Creighton, North Central

Interviews: St. Ambrose, Indiana State early admission, Creighton (declined), Adventist (declined), North Central (declined)

Rejected: Midwestern

Accepted: Indiana State, St. Ambrose, Maryville, Davenport

Attending: St. Ambrose