Indiana U vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indy or NYU???

• Total voters

indynyu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Cost is relatively the same at both schools (I'm OOS). I don't mind either city, nyc or indy would be fine with me, only consideration is the safety in indy.

Indy Pros:
-Laid back environment, really really nice people, seemed like a good program
-Got a great vibe
-intimate class and school environment

Indy Cons:
-Old old facilities
-part PBL, parts of the exams are written based on the PBL
-safety of the city

NYU Pros:
-great facilities, actually amazing
-video transcribing service (can allow you to miss class and it wont be a big deal)
-all exams are multiple choice
-family close by
-lower caliber students perhaps? therefore less competition (not sure abt this, avg gpa at indy is higher)

NYU Cons:
-the people seemed really egotistical and on their high horses (my interviewer at least did) -> gave me a bad first impression and vibe of the school
-came off as a very 0 tolerance policy kind of place, although several students have told me they do have summer remediation

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose Indiana. Better school, and safety is very important to me. Also, I think living expenses are much cheaper in Indiana.

indynyu said:
-Cost is relatively the same at both schools (I'm OOS). I don't mind either city, nyc or indy would be fine with me, only consideration is the safety in indy.

Indy Pros:
-Laid back environment, really really nice people, seemed like a good program
-Got a great vibe
-intimate class and school environment

Indy Cons:
-Old old facilities
-part PBL, parts of the exams are written based on the PBL
-safety of the city

NYU Pros:
-great facilities, actually amazing
-video transcribing service (can allow you to miss class and it wont be a big deal)
-all exams are multiple choice
-family close by
-lower caliber students perhaps? therefore less competition (not sure abt this, avg gpa at indy is higher)

NYU Cons:
-the people seemed really egotistical and on their high horses (my interviewer at least did) -> gave me a bad first impression and vibe of the school
-came off as a very 0 tolerance policy kind of place, although several students have told me they do have summer remediation

I am a firm believer that you have to listen to your gut and follow your impressions. You just need to decide what is more important, which seems to boil down to this: Indiana: better learning environment because of the people around you. NYU: excellent facilities to learn at. What do you think would benefit you the most? I personally would want to be in an environment that is laid back and more student focused, such as Indiana.
both places will produce competent clinicans regardless of how sexy the sim lab and lecture halls are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to have a good list of pros and cons. I think you should prioritize the list and see which one has more of what you want. For example, I would prioritize family as one of the top things on my list. Second I might consider "quality" of the school (the facilities, faculty, and students).

i just feel that NYU is a place I would be able to do better at. I also like NYU's ranking system, its in quintiles vs indy which is the actual class rank. I could see this being a big advantage when applying for specialties.

i just feel that NYU is a place I would be able to do better at. I also like NYU's ranking system, its in quintiles vs indy which is the actual class rank. I could see this being a big advantage when applying for specialties.

This is ultimately your decision. If your gut is telling you NYU, then go to NYU! You are the only one that knows where you will be happiest. We can only give suggestions on how to find out what you want most but take it with a grain of salt and do what U want to do. Good luck:thumbup:

Being close to family will probably be more of an advantage than you think...while you're too busy to travel, they can come visit you. Or you can visit as a weekend trip, while your classmates are purchasing plane tickets and sitting in airports. My family is a big part of my support system and knowing they aren't far away kind of makes it easier for me...I know it was a pretty big factor in my school decision. Plus, I don't like PBL or Indianapolis much for that matter, so I would go with NYU. Besides the cost (which you said isn't too much of a factor to you), I know I would love to have the opportunity to live in such a big city, since it is probably a once in a lifetime thing and SO different from what I grew up around...it could be very exciting!

NYC or Indianapolis? Tough choice, lol. You should totally base the decision of where you will spending the next four years on an internet msg board.

is there a way to get instate tuition after your first year or two? That could be a deal breaker. Also, class size and faculty to student ratio is important, in my opinion.

NYC or Indianapolis? Tough choice, lol. You should totally base the decision of where you will spending the next four years on an internet msg board.

yes. because i will take the results of this poll and base my choice on this only....*******. this forum is a way to gauge others opinions and everything on here should be taken with a grain of salt.

is there a way to get instate tuition after your first year or two? That could be a deal breaker. Also, class size and faculty to student ratio is important, in my opinion.

unfortunately no way to get instate tuition, thats why cost is the same, acutally indy tuition ends up being a bit more than NYU.

Is there a time that you have to make the decision by or do you still have a week or 2?

While NYU does give you a PERCENTILE rank, they also have actual class ranks... last time I went to check my class rank, they gave me the number where I rank in the class.

While NYU does give you a PERCENTILE rank, they also have actual class ranks... last time I went to check my class rank, they gave me the number where I rank in the class.

any idea which is disclosed for specialty applications?

any idea which is disclosed for specialty applications?
My understanding is that it depends upon your class rank.

If you are ranked within the top 10 of your class, the Institutional Evaluation will show your exact class rank (e.g. 3/212).

If you do not rank within the top 10 but within the top 10%, the Institutional Evaluation will say that you were "within the top 10%."

If you are not in the top 10%, the Institutional Evaluation will say you were in the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th quintile.

So everything works in your favor. It's impressive to have a single digit class rank from NYUCD, and also 5th quintile sounds better than the "bottom of the class." Good luck.

I live in Indianapolis and I love it. I have also been to New York and was suprised by how busy it actually was (it seemed just like the movies). As far as the safety goes, I have nver had problems feeling unsafe in Indy or anything. The summer before my freshman year I took a class at IUPUI, which is in the IU Med Center. I never once felt scared, my class was at 6 and ended around 9pm.

As far as the city life goes, Indy (specifically the downtown) is a lot of fun. Nice restaurants, nice mall, pacers, colts, musuems etc.

personally, i would have to go with indy. granted i may be biased since my brother goes to IU, but I for one LOVED visiting him and fully intend on going back for little five. While i didn't get into IU, I would have gone in a heart beat. Indiana may have a chilly winter, but it's definitely a great place as long as you buy yourself a down coat. also the class size/rep of nyu (at least on sdn) isn't so fabulous. But that's just one opinion. I will say though that the area where NYU is located was great and I wouldn't mind living in NYC, although Indy would be MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper with regards to living expenses. My brother has an amazing apartment and pays practically nothing for it....while i'm paying more than triple that living in DC.
but,
best of luck with your decision!