Indiana University Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punkn

at the Christie Rd tracks
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just wanted to start the class thread for all who will be going to IU next year. I'm not 100% sure I'll end up at IU, but I know I'd be happy to go there.

Has anyone started getting recruitment letters from the regional campuses? I got one from Muncie recently. Their block system is kinda nice, I'll admit. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll probably be at the Indy campus - I got my acceptance letter in November. I hope other people are going to get in and find this threaaaad!

I just got a letter from Muncie as well. I'm leaning towards Indy - that is if the finaid is enough to cover OOS tuition. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay people are posting!

I'm actually planning on staying in South Bend (where I go to school). I hope that I'll get to stay. Ana, good luck with the fin aid! I hope it works out for you and you get to go where you most want to (even if that's not at IU ;) ). :)

I am from 40 minutes away from South Bend, so my older sister commutes to the Notre-Dame campus (MS2). It's a decent campus with a nice facility as I imagine you've already seen it. I guess I'll be putting that as my 2nd or 3rd choice when they send out the forms pretty soon.

By the way, I saw your MDApplicant page - impressive!

I am from 40 minutes away from South Bend, so my older sister commutes to the Notre-Dame campus (MS2). It's a decent campus with a nice facility as I imagine you've already seen it. I guess I'll be putting that as my 2nd or 3rd choice when they send out the forms pretty soon.

By the way, I saw your MDApplicant page - impressive!

Thanks, Doc! The students I've spoken to seem happy with their choice of SB (minus the weather and relative lack of night life, which I've grown used to). ;) Do you know when they send the forms out? How early should we send them back, do you know? I ask because the letter will go to my parents' house, so they'll need to mail it to me. It shouldn't take that long, but I'm just curious.

I am reasonably sure that the "forms" will be sent out around end-of-February or beginning-of-March. That's when they were sent out in 2005, anyway.

You put down the sites in the order that you want them and then the reason that you want the site. So you would put something like

#1 - South Bend. Reason: I live here in town etc etc

I'm very sure you'll get that site since the people in that class are mostly ND/St. Mary's people. I took my MCAT prep course (I have no shame) at the Kaplan center very close to St. Mary's. It's a neat area!

I will be somewhere in Indiana come fall of 2007...Really looking at Muncie, because my girlfriend is probably going to a grad school there. I am OOS, live in Oklahoma right now. The OOS tuition is going to be really rough.

Come on, Indiana! Let's get moving! Surely admissions isn't that vicious this year! They've had to have let more people in than a small handful :D

It's ok...everyone that has gotten accepted is probably far too busy dominating life.

thought i'd give a shot at reviving this. currently outside the everglades, on spring break, having a great time, but also thinking about starting medical school, getting alternately excited and anxious. thinking indianapolis, b'town, or south bend for my preferences. anyone else out there?

thought i'd give a shot at reviving this. currently outside the everglades, on spring break, having a great time, but also thinking about starting medical school, getting alternately excited and anxious. thinking indianapolis, b'town, or south bend for my preferences. anyone else out there?
Yes! This thread has been something like an indecisive phoenix. Alive/Dead/Alive/Dead, it can't seem to make up its mind! I've tried...I've tried.

Anyway, I know students at the South Bend campus; it's pretty cool. I'm from close to there but my preferences are Indy itself and Bloomington.

Anyone want Terre Haute by any chance? IU is my first choice when I actually start the application process and I am kind of leaning toward the Haute because of previous experiences (I'm OOS). Anyone have any opinions (good or bad) on it?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else encountering difficulty in setting up their account/email?

Does anyone know how hard it is to get on the Indianapolis campus? This is the one I really want to be on.

anyone else encountering difficulty in setting up their account/email?
Yes!

I have been corresponding back and forth with their ITS about it for weeks and to no avail! My "passcode" does not work and is a pain to type in. HELP!

Yes!

I have been corresponding back and forth with their ITS about it for weeks and to no avail! My "passcode" does not work and is a pain to type in. HELP!

Yes!!! thank you, I'm not the only one. I have super long "pass phrase" but that's about it. It has my name spelled wrong on the portal thing and I have an email address that I can't log into b/c I was never given a password!!!

Yes!!! thank you, I'm not the only one. I have super long "pass phrase" but that's about it. It has my name spelled wrong on the portal thing and I have an email address that I can't log into b/c I was never given a password!!!
I'm one step from calling down there and kindly inquiring (haha) about this awful setup.

I'll let you know if I get it going - keep me posted if you have any luck as well. I don't want to miss an important bulletin from them =.=

Hey everyone...I've been lurking around SDN for a few months and haven't posted yet. I was accepted at IU in December!! Yay. What's all this about an email account?? I haven't heard anything from them about an email, and they've been sending financial information to my regular email account. Have I missed something??

Anyway, congratulations to everyone on their acceptances.

Hey everyone...I've been lurking around SDN for a few months and haven't posted yet. I was accepted at IU in December!! Yay. What's all this about an email account?? I haven't heard anything from them about an email, and they've been sending financial information to my regular email account. Have I missed something??

Yes, they'll send you information through your regular account. At some point, could be anytime as I am not sure, they should send you the "setting up your IU account" email.

Once you get that, let us know how it goes! Two of us on here have had marginal luck at getting the thing up. It has been a head-ache for me (and still no access) :p

They should send you an email that tells you about all of the services (i.e. OneStart, Oncourse, etc.) that you will have access too. The message is primarily to get you to sign up for an email account that they will eventually use to send official communications through. However, I haven't received anything from the email that they had me set up. The only thing you should be really concerned with at this point, as far as I know, is filling out FASFA and the IU financial aid application. If you are really wanting to get a jump on things, you should probably also get your physical and fill out as much of the immunization form as possible, since the PPD test has to be current within three months of matriculation. Anybody wanting to go to the Muncie center?

Does anyone know how hard it is to get on the Indianapolis campus? This is the one I really want to be on.

Probably 90% of people will put Indianapolis as their #1, and obviously only half of the class will be in Indy. But, about 75% of people will get one of their top three picks.

Turn in your preferences as soon as possible if you really want Indy -- it's first come/first serve. However, if you're a minority, particularly African American, you will get Indy if you put it as your #1 (apparently the school thinks they do better if they're together).

Didn't mean to freak you out, it isn't due for quite some time... In the letter of acceptance, there is additional stuff that you have to turn in, blah blah, and one of the things is immunization stuff. The letter directs you to this website: http://msaa.iusm.iu.edu/MSAMain/supporttxt.html Use the "Physical Form," and the "Immunization Form." I don't know what the rest of that stuff is. The due dates are on the form. I have heard horror stories from people that have gotten accepted to different professional schools about their immunization records and all of that, so I thought I should take a look at it early..

Didn't mean to freak you out, it isn't due for quite some time... In the letter of acceptance, there is additional stuff that you have to turn in, blah blah, and one of the things is immunization stuff. The letter directs you to this website: http://msaa.iusm.iu.edu/MSAMain/supporttxt.html Use the "Physical Form," and the "Immunization Form." I don't know what the rest of that stuff is. The due dates are on the form. I have heard horror stories from people that have gotten accepted to different professional schools about their immunization records and all of that, so I thought I should take a look at it early..
Thanks for the info!

Here's a copy of the email:

Dear Class Member of 2011,

Welcome to the Indiana University School of Medicine’s Class of 2011. This is the first of several e-mail messages that you will receive from the Dean’s Office for Medical Student Affairs prior to the start of classes. The purpose of this message is to make sure that you have access to both an IUPUI email address and to OneStart (https://onestart.iu.edu). Regardless of your campus assignment, all students must have an active email address on the IUPUI campus. This address is what is used to set up the Class of 2011 listserv.

Please find the category in which you fit and follow the instructions:

Entering students without an active IU account (any campus) - If you do not have an active email address on any of the IU campuses, please access the University’s Account Management System (AMS) website at http://itaccounts.iu.edu/ as soon as possible. To create this account, you will need to enter your last name, date of birth, and your ten digit university ID. If you do not know your ten digit university ID, then follow the link provided in the AMS system as highlighted below.

If for some reason you follow the above link and still have difficulty in obtaining your ten digit university ID, please contact Marti Reeser at (317) 278-8628 or send him a message at [email protected]. You can contact Jose Espada for the ID as well at [email protected]

Entering students with active ‘iupui.edu’ accounts - If you currently have an active email account on the IUPUI campus, please contact Mary Beth Nance at (317) 274-7163 or [email protected]. It is important to make sure that the account is set up properly so that you will not have problems in receiving messages sent to the class listserv.

Entering students with active ‘indiana.edu’ or other IU campus accounts - If you are a student currently enrolled at any other IU campus or have an account active on an IU campus; you still need to create an IUPUI email address. This is true regardless of you IU Medical Center assignment. To open this email account, access the IT Accounts website at http://itaccounts.iu.edu/ and click on the “Manage my IU computing accounts” link. After accessing that site, click on the “create more accounts:” option. At this point, select the ‘Cyrus’ account and click on the ‘Create Account’ button. After activating your IUPUI email address, you must contact Mary Beth Nance at (317) 274-7163 or [email protected]. It is very important that students with multiple accounts in the IU system have the mail forwarding option set up correctly to ensure that messages sent to any of the active email accounts are properly routed. This will also ensure that you do not miss any important messages sent to the class listserv.

For those creating a new account, using the University’s AMS will automatically set up your IUPUI e-mail address. Your IUPUI e-mail address will be the official address for the IU School of Medicine for all correspondence. Note that regardless of your IU Medical Center assignment, you must have an active IUPUI account. The same username and pass-phrase will also allow you to access the OneStart portal (https://onestart.iu.edu). Logging on to OneStart allows you to access important information such as your financial aid award and your University account statement.

PLEASE ACTIVATE YOUR UNIVERSITY ACCOUNT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

If you have any other questions about setting up your university account, please contact Mary Beth Nance at [email protected] or (317) 274-7163.

White Coat Ceremony and Orientation

In early June, we will send another message directing you to ANGEL, the School of Medicine’s online course management system, where information regarding White Coat Ceremony and Orientation will be available. Attendance at these programs, scheduled for August 10-11, is required. If you have any questions regarding the White Coat Ceremony and/or Orientation please contact Carlene Webb-Burton at [email protected], (317) 274-7173.

Course Registration and Financial Aid

Finally, the Medical Student Affairs Office will not register you for fall courses until late July or early August. Bills for the fall term, will tentatively go out in mid to late August and carry an early September due date. Additional information regarding registration and financial aid will be sent out in later messages.

We look forward to seeing you in August.

Thanks everyone...I emailed someone there and apparently I was supposed to get the email a while ago. Hopefully this doesn't become a problem! Oh well. I set up the account, and everything seems to be working fine.

Is anyone else who interviewed in September still waiting?

Small addition to class thread. I am one of the many that wants Indy for campus placement, with West Lafayette second. I am hoping my newly arrived son and the fact that my entire immediate family lives in the Indy area will persuade the committee.

Also, I was able to setup my email acct last evening. Who came up with the idea to make passwords into pass phrases? Aren't they difficult enought to remember?

Anyone know when the preference forms are supposed to come??? Hopefully soon!

Small addition to class thread. I am one of the many that wants Indy for campus placement, with West Lafayette second. I am hoping my newly arrived son and the fact that my entire immediate family lives in the Indy area will persuade the committee.

All I can say is to get your preference form in ASAP whenever you get it. I know of people with equally good reasons for wanting to be placed in Indy but didn't get it. I would think you'd have a pretty good chance for West Lafayette though. I would also encourage you to look at Muncie (the block schedule is awesome!). I've been happy overall, and several students do commute from Indy.

FYI, the most requested campuses are: #1 Indy, #2 Bloomington, #3 Gary.

Kind of off topic...What is the minimum GPA that you have to have post acceptance to keep your place? I am suffering from serious senioritis, and really just don't want to worry about undergrad anymore.

The only thing you should be really concerned with at this point, as far as I know, is filling out FASFA and the IU financial aid application.

Where can we find the IU financial aid application?

Also, has anyone gotten anything from IU in the mail recently? I got my acceptance letter in January, and sent them a letter back, but it seems like I haven't gotten anything from them in a while. Just curious.

Also, has anyone gotten anything from IU in the mail recently? I got my acceptance letter in January, and sent them a letter back, but it seems like I haven't gotten anything from them in a while. Just curious.
Hey there. This is where I was directed by the financial-aid advisor:

http://msaa.iusm.iu.edu/FinancialAid/finaidtxt.html

A good first step is to get a FAFSA in as quickly as possible for federal loans. Anything else should be sent to you by email within a reasonable time.

Financial aid info: http://msaa.iusm.iu.edu/FinancialAid/finaidtxt.html
There's a section specifically for the Class of 2011.

Another helpful website with tons of info is Medical Student Affairs: http://msa.iusm.iu.edu/

Kind of off topic...What is the minimum GPA that you have to have post acceptance to keep your place? I am suffering from serious senioritis, and really just don't want to worry about undergrad anymore.
I know just how you feel, man. A lot of us are feeling exactly the same way but hey, just stick it through and summer will be here.

As to an exact GPA - no such thing exists. IU wants to make sure you graduate. I imagine they won't be too happy if there's an obvious downward-trend in your grades, but I don't think they'd kick you unless you did something *extreme*. Just a few more months!

I know just how you feel, man. A lot of us are feeling exactly the same way but hey, just stick it through and summer will be here.

As to an exact GPA - no such thing exists. IU wants to make sure you graduate. I imagine they won't be too happy if there's an obvious downward-trend in your grades, but I don't think they'd kick you unless you did something *extreme*. Just a few more months!

Yeah, to be safe I'd say keep it above C's. Otherwise, you should be fine. Senioritis is a tough one! :sleep:

Any news on the preference forms? They should be coming soon since they just sent out their last round of formal acceptances for the year.

I received an email today saying that the preference forms have been mailed today (3-16-07).

Were the campus assignment forms sent via snail mail or email? Thanks!:)

I received an email today saying that the preference forms have been mailed today (3-16-07).

Who sent you that email (and why didn't the rest of us get it)? Just curious because I want to make sure they know I'm still interested!

Who sent you that email (and why didn't the rest of us get it)? Just curious because I want to make sure they know I'm still interested!

I also got it. It was from the main financial aid guy. Has anyone received the actual form?

I also got it. It was from the main financial aid guy. Has anyone received the actual form?

Oh, ok, I got that too. I guess I didn't read it carefully... I thought it was all about financial aid stuff. oops...

I haven't received the form yet, either, but I'll be looking for it today.