Indiana University Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know where we can find housing information for the campuses other than Indianapolis? I've been looking around a little bit, and I haven't had much luck. Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where we can find housing information for the campuses other than Indianapolis? I've been looking around a little bit, and I haven't had much luck. Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

If you go to the front page of IUSM's webpage and then click on the link for IUSM Campuses it will give you the links for each campuses IUSM webpage. I'm not sure about the other campuses but the Terre Haute page then has a link under information that tells you what is available and where most medical students live. I'm still not sure of anything revolving aroud people looking for roommates so if anyone knows the help would be appreciated

The director/secretary/somebody from whatever campus you are assigned will send out information about housing in the area and contact information for your classmates if you're looking for roommates.

Members don't see this ad :)
The director/secretary/somebody from whatever campus you are assigned will send out information about housing in the area and contact information for your classmates if you're looking for roommates.

Do you know when they do this? I was kind of hoping to start looking for a place in the next few weeks. I think I might just call the center to see if they can give me any housing information. I hope that doesn't bother them.

Has anyone been successfully reassigned to a different campus after submitting an appeal this year? Or know of someone who has? I'm getting anxious...

Got in off the waitlist today...Terre Haute...now it's decision time. MCW vs. IU. oh my.

Got in off the waitlist today...Terre Haute...now it's decision time. MCW vs. IU. oh my.

Hah...you probaly got the spot of the guy who a few days ago said hes dropping IU because he got put at the Terre Haute campus. Anyways congrats and if u choose IU ill cya down in Terre Haute

I would go to MCW...better facilities in my opinion.

rankings wise IU wins...but rankings dont really seem to mean much...I'd say go for whichever is cheaper...either way your stuck in a cold ass state

Those who appeal their campus assignments will receive a letter back in the mail after the appeal is sent in.

They will be told that they are put on the (most likely Indy) waiting list, and will be notified if and when it is possible for them to be moved to that campus. If, by August 1, nothing has been heard, you're SOL.

Anybody else receive a letter from their campus? SB starts on August 13. Does everyone else start then, too?

Anybody else receive a letter from their campus? SB starts on August 13. Does everyone else start then, too?

I havent heard anything from Terre Haute but their webpage has the entire class schedule and it says that we also start on August 13th

Members don't see this ad :)

I haven't received anything yet from Bloomington, but I assume they all start within a few days of each other give or take a few for individual orientations. The only date I know is Aug. 10 I have to be in Indianapolis :).

Hey all!! Is there a generic format for the username for all students to login to the CAS (onestart etc.)?? I reset my passphrase but forgot my username!?! lol..
Is it something like first letter of first name and then last name or is it something we make up?? :confused:

Thanks in advance =)

ps: has everyone in Indy got their housing set already?? If so is anyone living on campus or just looking for apartments close by (they're a lot cheaper i think)?

Hey all!! Is there a generic format for the username for all students to login to the CAS (onestart etc.)?? I reset my passphrase but forgot my username!?! lol..
Is it something like first letter of first name and then last name or is it something we make up?? :confused:

Give the office a call to find out. The username is assigned and there is not a specific pattern to it. Some are first letter of first name and part of last time, but mine, for example, is the first three letters of my first name and first four of my last name.

Thanks in advance =)

ps: has everyone in Indy got their housing set already?? If so is anyone living on campus or just looking for apartments close by (they're a lot cheaper i think)?

Unless you have a popular first/last name combo, the generic format is your first initial and then last name...sometimes they add a middle initial as well.

Also, living down by the med school in Indy can be expensive. There farther away from IUPUI you get, the cheaper the apartments become. On the same token, they also get into some rough(er) areas and may not be as nice. Canal Square runs right around $1000 plus utilities for a 2 BR. Canal Courts and Lockfield Gardens are two other places with a fairly heavy IUPUI student population that come to mind. If you don't mind the commute, you can go to a suburb and get nice apartments for cheaper. I know there's a few places on the south side of Indy (lighthouse landings) that are convenient to I-65 which take you right to the school -- I know a handful of dental students that live there. My suggestion is to live close to the school -- it's worth the extra money to not have to deal with traffic (not to mention with gas prices being so high, you may not save all that much money anyways).

Unless you have a popular first/last name combo, the generic format is your first initial and then last name...sometimes they add a middle initial as well.

Also, living down by the med school in Indy can be expensive. There farther away from IUPUI you get, the cheaper the apartments become. On the same token, they also get into some rough(er) areas and may not be as nice. Canal Square runs right around $1000 plus utilities for a 2 BR. Canal Courts and Lockfield Gardens are two other places with a fairly heavy IUPUI student population that come to mind. If you don't mind the commute, you can go to a suburb and get nice apartments for cheaper. I know there's a few places on the south side of Indy (lighthouse landings) that are convenient to I-65 which take you right to the school -- I know a handful of dental students that live there. My suggestion is to live close to the school -- it's worth the extra money to not have to deal with traffic (not to mention with gas prices being so high, you may not save all that much money anyways).

I don't have a particularly popular first name/last name combo, but whatever.

I second what he says about living, but if you are going to live downtown, you need to get on it ASAP since a lot of these places have LONG waiting lists. I got on a waiting list for Lockefield back in November and never got off it for a May/June move in. So, I'm going to be at Canal Square with one of my classmates, which actually worked out pretty good because I've heard Lockefield has some serious security and maintenance issues!

Thanks in advance =)

If you go to the people search on the IU webpage you can look up your name and it will show your email which is your username. This works for me because I went to IUB for undergrad and my name is in the system. I'm not sure if yours will already be in the system if you did your undergrad elsewhere but its worth a try.

thx guys! uv all been a great help :)
but I didnt realize that I need a car?!? :eek: is this like a given for all MS1s?? As my name suggests, I'm from Canada and am pretty lost when it comes to familiarity with Indy...My costs are practically double so I was hoping to find cheap accomodation..but looks like if its far from campus I would need to drive...hows the public transit in Indy anyways? I guess getting a car wouldnt be as big of an issue for me, other than would I actually need it?

looking fwd to meeting u all in Aug :) i feel so welcome already :love:

You don't need a car. Lockefield apartments are actually closer to school than the parking lot, and ou could also easily walk to school from the apartments along the canal (10-15 min walk). A couple apartments offer free shuttles to campus, Canal Square and Riley Towers come to mind - but the schedule may not work with when you need to be on campus. If you live further away, buses would be doable, but other people riding them may be a little sketchy. When I was apartment hunting, Victoria Apartments was the cheapest ($410 for a studio) -- a lot of IUPUI students live here, but you would need a car or take the bus.

I was fortunate to have been accepted off of the alternate list yesterday. I can't wait to get started in Muncie. Is everyone living close or will people be traveling from Marion or Indy?

I tried to delete this post, but I couldn't. Sorry.

Anyone going to Fort Wayne? If so, I'm sorry. I spent my first two years there and really came out of there hating IU. Of the 16 in our class, maybe 2-3 has good things to say about Fort Wayne. Though, the incoming 2nd year class really likes it. Wierd how things work out.

Avoid Vilensky like the plague...

By the way, the most popular apt complex in FW for students is Canterbury. I lived in Woodview Manor (aka the ghetto) just down the street from Canterbury and it was much cheaper. Got a 2BR ~1000 sq ft apt for 450/mo (it was even cheaper considering I roomed with one of my classmates!).

If anyone here is looking for a roomate in Indy, let me know!

Are there any females out there who have completed ordering their white coats on ANGEL? I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on the sizing. Any idea what small, medium, and large actually translate to? I know the men's sizes have actual numbered sizes attached to them, but the women's sizes do not. I'm just a little unsure what to do at this point. Any advice is appreciated :).

Is this sizing different for men's and women's (I forget) ? I just went with what size men's T-shirt I would wear (I'm a female btw). I got an XS and it worked out just fine, although I kind of wish I had gone a size bigger since it's some times hard to button when all of the inside and outside pockets are stuffed.

Is this sizing different for men's and women's (I forget) ? I just went with what size men's T-shirt I would wear (I'm a female btw). I got an XS and it worked out just fine, although I kind of wish I had gone a size bigger since it's some times hard to button when all of the inside and outside pockets are stuffed.

Well, on the form we have to fill out, there are different spots for men and women. The women's sizes are Small, Medium, Large, and X-Large. The men's sizes are Small (34-36), Medium (38-40), Large (42-44), X-Large (46-48), and 2X-Large (50-52). I don't really know how it works, or if it's a big deal or not, but I don't want to get stuck with a coat that doesn't fit. I just wish the sizes weren't quite so ambiguous.

Edit: I sent an email asking about the sizes, and the response I got is that the sizes are approximately Small (8), Medium (10), Large (12), and X-Large (14). I hope that helps anyone else who was wondering.

Well, on the form we have to fill out, there are different spots for men and women. The women's sizes are Small, Medium, Large, and X-Large. The men's sizes are Small (34-36), Medium (38-40), Large (42-44), X-Large (46-48), and 2X-Large (50-52). I don't really know how it works, or if it's a big deal or not, but I don't want to get stuck with a coat that doesn't fit. I just wish the sizes weren't quite so ambiguous.

Edit: I sent an email asking about the sizes, and the response I got is that the sizes are approximately Small (8), Medium (10), Large (12), and X-Large (14). I hope that helps anyone else who was wondering.

Ugh, guess I should have asked before I sent mine in. I'm a size 0!

Anyone hear pf people getting in off the waitlist?

Anyone hear pf people getting in off the waitlist?

There have been a few people (myself included) that have gotten in off of the waitlist. My guess is at least 10-12 total thus far, if not more.

I just found out about another person I know who got off the waitlist - and he got Indy, too!

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

Anyone know about the parking situation at IUSM. Do you have to live a certain distance away from campus to be eligible for a parking permit. How much are the permits?

thanks

If you're talking about the Indy campus: https://www.parking.iupui.edu/ Most students will buy the E permit, and no, you don't have to live a certain distance from campus to be eligible to buy a permit.

Sure, the system is not perfect. Probably 90% of students will put down Indianapolis as their first choice, and many people with really good reasons for wanting to be in Indy will be assigned elsewhere. Being assigned to Lafayette may not seem ideal right now, but I'm sure it will work out in the end.

On a positive note, Lafayette is one of the campuses closer to Indy - you and your fiance could always live somewhere in between the two cities and commute. I highly doubt that you will be able to get into Indy, but there is always the possibility. My advice: try to remain positive and make the best of a less than ideal situation, otherwise you will be quite miserable for the next two years.

I'm glad it worked out for you =)

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me if IU makes you send in a $100 deposit to hold a seat in their class? I accepted a place and withdrew as an OOS applicant because of $$. I just figured every school required a deposit of some sort but when I called IU they said they don't require a deposit? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

They don't require a deposit.

Hey all,

So, I'm just in the process of seting things up at Indy and I had a couple questions for those who are living there already:

-what is the closest bank to the school? and how far is it (walkable)?
-who's the cell phone provider at Indy? and what's the approximate monthly rate plan?

-how dressy do we get for the white coat ceremony? girls-skirt? dress? suit?

thx =)

Hey all,
\
-who's the cell phone provider at Indy? and what's the approximate monthly rate plan?
\

you got to love canadians! Pretty much every cell phone carrier will give you good service in Indy. You'll have to shop around to find who gives you the best deal for how many minutes you need but mine from cingular runs about $60 a month. I can't answer any of the other questions...but as a guy I'm wearing a suit to the ceremony.

Hey all,

-what is the closest bank to the school? and how far is it (walkable)?

-how dressy do we get for the white coat ceremony? girls-skirt? dress? suit?

thx =)

1. Depends where you live. If you're living downtown, there are TONS of banks within walking distance (most near Monument Circle). There are also tons of ATMs around campus. I personally would recommend Chase. There is an ATM located between Riley and Wishard Hospitals, a bank on the Circle, and TONS of branches throughout the city if you want to drive to do your banking. If you really want to know what bank you can walk to from wherever you're living, go to Google Maps, type in your address, and then search for "bank" nearby.

2. Most popular cell phone providers are Cingular and Verizon. I personally would recommend Verizon -- I have had it for several years and have had no problems.

3. For the white coat ceremony, definitely get dressed up in business or Sunday attire -- either professional pants/skirt and blouse, or nice dress. Khaki's are not appropriate for girls, and do NOT wear a skirt above the knee.

They recommend that guys do not wear a suit jacket to the white coat ceremony (...because your white coat might not fit over it!)....shirt and tie is great!