Indiana University vs University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosierdoctor13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Indiana University
Pros
  • In-State Tuition
  • Existing ties to numerous community organizations, family nearby.
  • Pre-existing relationships with many rotation preceptors

Cons
  • Random campus placement (don't let them tell you otherwise).
  • Non-diverse student body, have heard nightmares about faculty and administrators
  • Born, raised, and did undergrad in Indiana. Feel bored with the state.

University of Maryland (Baltimore)
Pros
  • Ability to get in-state tuition after first year
  • Accepted direct MD/MPH
  • Really like everything that Baltimore has to offer
  • Diverse patient population
  • research interests with urban underserved populations

Cons
  • 1 year of out-of-state tuition.
  • Far from family
  • wouldn't know anyone

Summary: IU would be an easier decision if campus assignment wasn't such a toss-up. I'm an avid rock climber, and having a climbing gym nearby for the few hours of free-time I'll have each week is essential. Also, I feel like a new atmosphere would be adventurous and good for me. However, I also realize that having a strong support network may be nice during the stress of medical school.
What are your goals? Both schools are good schools. What is the difference in COA over 4 years?

Reactions: 1 user
I think you can get an MPH just about anywhere with hardly any effort. I would not count that as a big selling point.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, I feel like a new atmosphere would be adventurous and good for me. However, I also realize that having a strong support network may be nice during the stress of medical school.
assuming you live in Indiana right now, you have never been far away from Indiana and family/friends. So will it be "nice" to have them near by when you're stressed or is it essential. Are you really "bored with the state" or will you be homesick after 6 months/ 1 year
It doesn't sound like money is a huge factor and I can't really get a good read on if diversity is a factor from your post. (You mention it but diverse student body and diverse patient population are two different things so...)
also does maryland have a climbing gym nearby since that seems to be the thing that actually matters the most to you