1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Indicate extremely strong preference for a school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by evansh, Aug 5, 2015.

1. evansh

Medical Student
    Other than a post-interview letter of intent, is there any way to indicate very high preference for a medical school? I recently engaged my girlfriend who's matriculating Ohio State. Med school can be tough on a relationship, and so it'd be personally difficult for me to move out of Columbus, and I'm not sure if I'd even consider moving OOS yet. Maybe extreme, but I'm concerned that 4-5 years apart would be very hard.

I'm above their LizzyM with a great upward trend, and have competitive EC's, but I know how tough it is to zero in on any one school.

So if I'm a competitive applicant with a personal reason for having a very high preference for a school, is there an appropriate way to indicate this, possibly pre-interview? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pacna

Pacna Dyslexics, untie!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ... unless you both like to do karate or something. ;) (congrats, btw!)

And yes, many schools have secondaries which ask this exact question. This would be a good start to an answer, but be sure you don't end the story there. You don't want to communicate to the school that the only reason you want to go there is "a coincidence of geography" as they say. These reasons should be in addition to the reasons that you chose to apply here. If you say that your fiance is located there and that made you want to apply, that will actually be seen as a negative. As always, read their mission statement or even email some current M1s/2s that can share what the school values.

avgn likes this.
  4. Doug Underhill

5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    There's EDP, but EDP is almost always a bad idea and Ohio State's EDP deadline was Aug. 1. I'd just write it on your secondary.

By the way, Ohio State requires you to have taken anatomy prior to matriculation. Did you take it?

5. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  6. evansh

Medical Student
    Thanks! So there wasn't space for additional info on the secondary, which I'm looking for other options. And OSU would be one of my top choices either way, I think I can make a very strong personal, professional, and academic argument as to why.

Yeah, I chose not to do EDP. Too risky. And they eliminated the anatomy requirement for this cycle :)

Pacna likes this.
  7. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Invite the entire admissions office to the engagement party to prove you're telling the truth

Goro likes this.
  8. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Yes, by sending them an application.

Send them a donation check....preferably six figures.

9. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    WWYD if you got sent donuts from an applicant?

10. integrin

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    OSU is no longer requiring anatomy prior to matriculation starting next year. Source: http://medicine.osu.edu/admissions/md/preparing/pages/index.aspx

strictlyanon likes this.