Indications for revascularization in stable angina?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chloroform4Life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been googling for the answer to this and its still not very clear to me. What are the indications for stents/CABG in a patient without ACS? Significant LAD stenosis? Significant multi-vessel disease? Concurrent low EF?

I assume these are the patients we are trying to identify with pre-op stress testing where they actually need revascularization before their noncardiac surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

In low to moderate risk patients, PCI helps to improve symptoms, but no benefit in survival versus medical therapy. In higher risk patients, PCI improves survival. The question then becomes who is low risk versus who is high risk. Left main disease, multiple coronaries involved, reduction in EF, and symptoms all guide the decision on whether to revascularize. Nuclear studies can give you an idea of the area of ischemia...or myocardium at risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Appendix 3 (the last 2 pages of this PDF) might answer your question. It refers to revascularization guidelines put out in 2011

Attachments

• ACC-AHA 2014 Periop Guidelines - Noncardiac surgery - Summary.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 57