individual school gre policies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkd212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the GRE today and didn't do as well as I hoped on verbal. I'm considering retaking the test before it changes over to the new version but was wondering how schools generally look at scores from more than one test date. Do they take the latest scores or take the highest from each section? I did really well on the quant. section so I'm afraid I wouldn't do as well the next time around if I retake it...
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the testing service will send your current and past scores (up to 5 years in the past, I think) to the programs you designate. Whether or not the schools looks at past scores is a good question - logically you would think they would look at all of them just to get a view, over time, of your performance versus the latest. But I really don't know - it's a good question, hopefully others have a good answer (or at least better than mine ;)).

I would contact each program in which you intend on applying to. The GRE policies are variable from one program to the next. Some will take the highest score from each section, while others will not. Some programs require a minimum score on each section(i.e. 500), thus calling and/or emailing would be the best idea at this point in time. Sometimes PTCAS will list this type of info, but I still think its a good idea to have some direct contact with the admissions coordinator. Best wishes!:thumbup: