Infectious Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neel07054

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm an MS3 who was interested in possibly doing an Infectious Disease fellowship after doing an Internal Medicine residency. However, I'm hearing from people that the future outlook for this field is not so good. They are not in as much demand as I had once thought, and thier pay is not as great. I'm one of those oddball students who loves finding zebras and seeing weird and interesting cases, so I decided I would stick with ID and double board in something else, just to be safe (I was also interested in endocrinology and GI); however I am now hearing that double boarding is not a good idea and that most people end up doing one specialty as opposed to practicing in both.

Does anyone have any information on ID or about double boarding in general? I think I would like ID but I don't know if that's worth risking not being able to pay my bills in the future or having difficulty in finding a job. Are their other fields that would match better with ID in terms of double boarding ID and immunology as opposed to, say ID and GI)? If anyone could comment or put in thier 2 cents, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to IM Subspecialties Forum so that people who are in the field or applying to fellowship may answer questions here.