INFJ Internal Medicine Specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wanted101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If any INFJ Internal Med physicians have a few seconds, I'm curious as what specialty you chose/are choosing to go into? I will be an IM intern in the summer and am exploring options that fit my personality and that I will be happy with. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not choose a specialty based on that stuff dude. Do GI or cards.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If any INFJ Internal Med physicians have a few seconds, I'm curious as what specialty you chose/are choosing to go into? I will be an IM intern in the summer and am exploring options that fit my personality and that I will be happy with. Thanks a lot!
MBTI is not even firmly validated for picking a general field in medical school much less a specialty in internal medicine. Truly, MBTI is somewhere between a horoscope and an idealized self image.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised people still believe in those stuff. Although seeing corporate America's obsession with personality tests that transferred over to medicine, i guess i can't be too shocked.

Reactions: 2 users
I would be more worried about what I am interested in and enjoy than personality, current pay, or current "safety" from mid-levels. Personalities vary wildly within specialties, pay differences can and will change drastically between fields over the next 20-30 years, and no one is safe from mid-levels over the next 20-30 years.

I would be more worried about what I am interested in and enjoy than personality, current pay, or current "safety" from mid-levels. Personalities vary wildly within specialties, pay differences can and will change drastically between fields over the next 20-30 years, and no one is safe from mid-levels over the next 20-30 years.
even pay for nephro potentially going way up even though current large government involvement? not even surgical subspecialties safe from mid-levels? i'm genuinely curious on your thoughts i know there's a lot of debate on those topics

• Dislike
even pay for nephro potentially going way up even though current large government involvement? not even surgical subspecialties safe from mid-levels? i'm genuinely curious on your thoughts i know there's a lot of debate on those topics
No one is an expert on this because everyone has emotional biases and different experiences. Even if mid-levels aren't performing the critical parts of the operation in surgical subspecialities, they can reduce the number of physicians needed.

Let's say a hospital has 3 neurosurgeons each making $800k. Replace one of those neurosurgeons with 4 PA's each making $125k. Each PA gets their own OR with the physician rotating in during "critical" parts of the operation. 2:1 supervision, half of what many (most?) anesthesia practices use. Even if these 4 mid-level OR's only function at 80% of the efficiency of a physician: 3 physician OR's at 100% = 300% billed versus 4 PA OR's at 80% = 320% billed. The hospital is also saving $300k in salary. Instead of taking Q3 first call, the two physicians remaining can now take Q2 second call (PA's on first call).

This sounds crazy, is currently illegal, and would be insanely unsafe, but it would make administrators a lot of money. Laws can change, especially if it means a lot of money can be made. Just because it is unsafe and unethical, doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. Just look at anesthesia or EM.

Also, the more this type of stuff happens, the easier is becomes. The more physicians that are replaced by mid-levels, the worse the job market gets for physicians, and the more BS they will put up with to stay employed.

Inb4 "BuT tHeY wON't bE AbLE tO AFforD MalIprACtIcE!"

Hospitals have so far been able to eat any increased malpractice costs from using mid-levels in the place of physicians. And not in a small sample size or short time scale. Tens of thousands of mid-levels being hired over 10+ years has proven that cost savings > malpractice costs.

Reactions: 1 users
Might as well just use one of these to pick your specialty
FQKDKVJH8CVFQUP.jpg

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
No one is an expert on this because everyone has emotional biases and different experiences. Even if mid-levels aren't performing the critical parts of the operation in surgical subspecialities, they can reduce the number of physicians needed.

Let's say a hospital has 3 neurosurgeons each making $800k. Replace one of those neurosurgeons with 4 PA's each making $125k. Each PA gets their own OR with the physician rotating in during "critical" parts of the operation. 2:1 supervision, half of what many (most?) anesthesia practices use. Even if these 4 mid-level OR's only function at 80% of the efficiency of a physician: 3 physician OR's at 100% = 300% billed versus 4 PA OR's at 80% = 320% billed. The hospital is also saving $300k in salary. Instead of taking Q3 first call, the two physicians remaining can now take Q2 second call (PA's on first call).

This sounds crazy, is currently illegal, and would be insanely unsafe, but it would make administrators a lot of money. Laws can change, especially if it means a lot of money can be made. Just because it is unsafe and unethical, doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. Just look at anesthesia or EM.

Also, the more this type of stuff happens, the easier is becomes. The more physicians that are replaced by mid-levels, the worse the job market gets for physicians, and the more BS they will put up with to stay employed.

Hospitals have so far been able to eat any increased malpractice costs from using mid-levels in the place of physicians. And not in a small sample size or short time scale. Tens of thousands of mid-levels being hired over 10+ years has proven that cost savings > malpractice costs.
Correct. Most hospitals are self insured with 3 or 4 layers of insurance. The first 2 or 3 layers are self funded. As the insured payout increases, it gets layed off to large insurance carriers. Think of it like a health savings account with a high deductible. Hospitals will pay small cllaims out of pocket, with larger claims paid by insurance.I don't think most hospitals care about med.mal claims unless punitive damages are involved.

thanks! finally someone with enough brains to provide valuable insight! sad and scary what the future holds

I don't get it, it says you're pre-med so i'll assume that. Wait till you actually experience all the specialties? Everyone's changed what they want to do multiple times, myself included.

I don't get it, it says you're pre-med so i'll assume that. Wait till you actually experience all the specialties? Everyone's changed what they want to do multiple times, myself included.
ohh i need to change that. i'm actually about to be a first year i med resident. thanks!

Maybe “INFJ” means I Need Future Job. In which case, Cardiology is a great sub specialty.

• Haha
Look into the history of Myers Briggs. It is made up. I would further claim that it arbitrarily holds people back when they strongly identify with certain traits- they are less open to behavior change when it would be beneficial.

You should choose a specialty based on what you enjoy most. Do you feel rejuvenated going in everyday? Do you enjoy the bread and butter of the specialty? Are you able to tolerate the worst part of that specialty better than the worst part of other specialties? Will the fellowship actually increase your enjoyment of your job in addition to compensation?

You’re probably more likely to find literature on personality and specialty choice if you use the five factor model, as it is better validated than the Myers-Briggs.

One review article that is relevant to your broader question about personality and specialty choice is cited below:

Borges NJ, Savickas ML. Personality and Medical Specialty Choice: A Literature Review and Integration. Journal of Career Assessment. 2002;10(3):362-380. doi:10.1177/10672702010003006

• Love
You’re probably more likely to find literature on personality and specialty choice if you use the five factor model, as it is better validated than the Myers-Briggs.

One review article that is relevant to your broader question about personality and specialty choice is cited below:

Borges NJ, Savickas ML. Personality and Medical Specialty Choice: A Literature Review and Integration. Journal of Career Assessment. 2002;10(3):362-380. doi:10.1177/10672702010003006
Thanks so much for this!

Let me guess... Hufflepuff?

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.